Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Alerts for System Administrators

Sonic Mobility and Vytek Messaging Services announced a week ago a joint partnership to sell sonicadmin for TelAlert, a combined solution that enables the delivery of urgent system messages and alerts to handheld devices that can then be used to resolve system issues. Now system administrators can be proactively alerted on their BlackBerry or Pocket PC device of system issues as they arise (by Vytek�s TelAlert) then securely connect to their network/servers and remedy the problem with Sonic Mobility�s sonicadmin. Read on for the entire press release!

SONIC MOBILITY AND VYTEK MESSAGING SERVICES ANNOUNCE JOINT PROBLEM RESOLUTION FOR HANDHELD DEVICES
System admins can receive urgent system alerts with TelAlert then take action with sonicadmin.

Calgary, Alberta and Oakland, California - (September 23, 2003) � Sonic Mobility and Vytek Messaging Services today announced a joint partnership to sell sonicadmin for TelAlert, a combined solution that enables the delivery of urgent system messages and alerts to handheld devices that can then be used to resolve system issues.

sonicadmin for TelAlert is a complete remote urgent notification and remote resolution solution that easily integrates with network management software from HP, IBM, Microsoft, NetIQ, Computer Associates, BMC Remedy and others. Customers using these software suites can immediately benefit from the emergence of sonicadmin for TelAlert since the solution serves to wirelessly extend the benefits of enterprise and service management solutions. sonicadmin for TelAlert is immediately available through both Sonic Mobility and Vytek Messaging worldwide distribution channels.

Vytek's award-winning TelAlert Urgent Messaging System is considered the industry standard for IT organizations needing to send automated alerts based on critical network and system events. sonicadmin enables PocketPC and BlackBerry users to securely administer network systems, servers and applications remotely � greatly increasing efficiency for organizations with remote IT personnel. When the two solutions are used together, system administrators can monitor system resources, be automatically notified when system issues arise, and resolve critical problems immediately.

"With sonicadmin, mobile IT professionals can fully manage critical servers, network equipment, and applications directly from their wireless Pocket PC or other wireless device, in real time. Companies can realize increased efficiency and reduced costs by embracing core mobile technologies such as sonicadmin, TelAlert and the HP iPAQ,� said Victor Garcia, managing principal, HP Mobility Program Office. �The Sonic Mobility and Vytek offerings clearly illustrate the value of deploying mobile technologies throughout the enterprise."

When using the combined solution, a system administrator equipped with a wireless handheld might receive a TelAlert notification sent by a monitoring application detecting an anomaly with the network or one of the servers. The administrator can use sonicadmin for TelAlert to securely log on to any number of servers, including Exchange servers, to prevent costly downtime or even the spread of viruses. For example, if the detected problem is determined to be an email virus, he may 'freeze' the email queues and execute anti-virus scripts and server patches to prevent further infection. sonicadmin can then be used to 'thaw' the queues and return the Exchange servers to normal operation.

�The ability for sytem administrators to receive urgent system messages and alerts is very important for companies with servers and networks performing mission critical processes,� said Dayton Foster, product manager for Sonic Mobility. �When you couple that with sonicadmin�s ability to remotely rectify network and server problems in near real time, you have a solution that any network admistrator would not want to be without.�

�By offering sonicadmin in conjunction with our TelAlert product line, the return on investment for our customers is maximized and their problem resolution solution is even more integrated than before,� said Mike Joy, vice president and general manager of Vytek Messaging. �TelAlert guarantees the delivery of critical messages; sonicadmin closes the loop by allowing immediate resolution of the issues that triggered the alert, ensuring our customers of business continuity."

sonicadmin for TelAlert 10/10 (10ssh/telnet and 10 managed nodes) is immediately available, priced at $10,000 USD. The solution includes TelAlert, sonicadmin for TelAlert, technical support and maintenance as well as implementation support. Availability is through select Vytek and Sonic Mobility resellers.

Both companies also announced that they are working together on developing other integrated solutions for urgent notification and remote problem resolution.

About Sonic Mobility
Sonic Mobility is the leading provider of wireless systems administration software and is developing wireless and voice-enabled solutions for enterprise deployment. The flagship wireless system administration tool, sonicadmin, utilizes embedded handheld client software to maximize security and performance and currently runs on BlackBerry (NASDAQ: RIMM) Wireless Handhelds and Pocket PC platforms. For further information on Sonic Mobility, visit the Sonic Mobility website at www.sonicmobility.com or call 1-866-602-2002.

About Vytek Messaging Services
Headquartered in San Diego, California, Vytek is a global provider of innovative technology solutions that empower our global Fortune 1000 customers to access their information or content anywhere, anytime. These solutions are delivered through our senior consultants and experienced engineering teams providing business strategy and technology assessments, integrated hardware and software development, and most importantly, a single point of accountability, all to enable pervasive computing. Vytek has offices in nine cities across the country and serves international customers as well. For more information, please visit: www.vytek.com.

Sonicadmin is a trademark of Sonic Mobility Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Old 09-29-2003, 04:25 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Neat, but.....

This is neat and all, but rarely do I have something that can be easily managed on the limited screen real estate on a Pocket PC. Here's what I will do:

AIX 5.2 (which is what we use) already has the paging aspect covered as do most systems. Most phones are capable of recieving pages sent via a e-mail address ([email protected] for verizon) and most systems can do this.....but you may not have scripts genned up or nice think like AIX wsm to set this up. So I can se ehow this aspect would be nice to have.

All I need is a VPN and a ssh client (after initial notification) on my pocket PC and I can do most anything. If I need more real estate or need to run something in the software suite that does not run on PPC (Datatel's Colleague in my case), I have to come in or fire up a laptop. Things like disk space issues and the like can all be handled by ssh. Even password resets.

The OBVIOUS answer here is setting things up so well you don't need paged. I know, hardware and software failures happen and thats what this can be for (well, for the notification anyway)...but to have a system so messed up your constantly going into it to fix it remotely? That's just a bad deal all around. Take the time (if you can..I know you sometimes can't) to do things right, and that phone will stay silent.