Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell Axim X3: A New Price Point for Pocket PCs?

Nothing earth-shattering happened this week in the Pocket PC world, but just yesterday there was a burst of excitement with the release of the first Toshiba e805 photos from an FCC document, and the first official photos of the Dell Axim X3. The initial rumours of the X3 being the inexpensive Pocket PC and the X7 being the wireless one seem to be incorrect. The X3 is rumoured to come in three different versions: a 300mhz version, a 400mhz version, and a 400mhz version with integrated Wi-Fi. All are single-slot devices (SD) and no CF slot, and the entry-level device should come in at under $199 USD. Will this be the device that Dell will hit the $150 USD price point with? Only time will tell - no official specs or prices were announced this week. It seems it will be sometime in October before Dell releases the official info.

As always with the Dell devices, it's not the features that are impressive, it's the price point that Dell is able to hit. My only wish is that Dell had a retail presence - price-conscious shoppers would do well to see affordable Pocket PCs at retail right next to the Palm-based units.

And in other news, I found my future digital camera.

Old 09-26-2003, 03:10 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Anybody else notice the dell price cuts on the X5? Looks like we will be getting the X3 as soon as the X5 inventory is moved out.....

Old 09-26-2003, 03:26 PM
nox
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to nox Send a message via MSN to nox Send a message via Yahoo to nox
Default I was told ...

X7 was to be WiFi/GSM/built in keyboard to replace the PDA/PHONE t-mobile is using.

i got this info from one of the nice TrueMobile Tour I had attended.

t-mobile also gave us free hotspot minutes.

www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/dell

Old 09-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: I was told ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox
X7 was to be WiFi/GSM/built in keyboard to replace the PDA/PHONE t-mobile is using.
Ah, interesting - I always thought the X7 was going to be a Wi-Fi/BT device. Thanks for the correction!

Old 09-26-2003, 04:22 PM
dh
Mystic

It would seem that the original idea for the X7 is not going to happen (BT/WiFi, 2 card slots etc.) Shame because that is very much the kind of device I would want.

I was also hoping that the Tosh e800 would come with both radios, but this seems not to be the case either.

Oh well, wait a bit longer.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:10 PM
Mitch D
Sage

I missed the luanch info, does anyone know when these units will be available?

Old 09-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Citezein
Pupil
Default new camera...

I've had my Digital Rebel for about three days now. You'll love it. It is fast and takes great photos.

One note though, get yourself a firewire or USB 2.0 compact flash reader. Transferring files via the usb 1.1 cable is an exercise in frustration.

Enjoy!

Old 09-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Kurt Hunciker
Pupil

In case anybody is interested, Digital Photography Review has a (typically) throrough review of the EOS 300D Digital Rebel camera.

The link to the review is below:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

Old 09-27-2003, 01:36 AM
Chris Leckness
Pupil

Quote:
Anybody else notice the dell price cuts on the X5? Looks like we will be getting the X3 as soon as the X5 inventory is moved out.....
Dell will continue to produce and sell the x5.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:32 AM
Prevost
Thinker
Default Re: Dell Axim X3: A New Price Point for Pocket PCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Nowhere there it's said how much memory is packed with the camera...