Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Full Circle: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Back when I was in college, I took a photography class. I had always enjoyed taking photos with the family cameras, but had never had a camera that I could call my own. For that photography class, I purchased a Canon Rebel, an entry-level 35mm SLR camera. I had a lot of fun with the camera, because it let me experiment with manual settings, or just point and shoot if I felt like it. After the Rebel, I moved on through a series of digital cameras (Kodak DC 265, Canon S110, Canon G3, Canon S400), but I've always had a soft spot for the manual feel of an SLR camera and zoom. The problem was always the price: I just couldn't justify dropping 3K+ on a pro level SLR, especially since it's a hobby, not something I can make money at.

So it was with great delight that I learned that Canon was going to revolutionize the world of digital SLR photography by releasing a sub-$1000 USD digital SLR camera with a removable lens. My camera buying habits have come full circle: I now want a digital Rebel as my primary camera. You can check out all the details on the Rebel on the Canon Web site, but suffice it to say that Canon has dramatically changed the camera market forever with the release of a six mega pixel SLR camera at this price range.

You can buy the body only (no lens) for $899 USD, or the camera body and a EF-S 18 - 55mm Lens for $999 USD. $100 seems like a great deal for that lens, so between the two packages I'm going to go for the latter. Anyone else as excited as me about this release from Canon? [Affiliate]

Old 09-24-2003, 06:48 AM
donkthemagicllama
Ponderer
Default Re: Full Circle: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Back when I was in collage, I took a photography class.
Perhaps you should have taken some English courses instead of photography courses in "collage". :twisted:

Hehe... sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

Personally, I was never into photography. It was unfortunate, because I went all over Europe and spent time in Japan when I was younger and have next to no photos. I purchased a Canon S330 a year ago, more because I wanted a digital camera to mess with than because I had any photographic ambitions. Anyway, I have become a complete shutterbug and love photography now... I wonder how many others that were like me that had no interest in photography until their interest in electronics prompted them to get a digital camera...

This new Canon model does look appealing. After using my s330 and a G4, I don't know how anyone could justify buying any other brand.

Old 09-24-2003, 06:50 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Excited? O yeah! It sure sounds like the Digital Rebel or Canon 300D, although forced to be a bit dumber than the D10, has the features I'd need 95% of the time when making pictures. At this price point, it's a great thing to get a digital SLR in stead of a prosumer all-in-one. DPReview has already quite some user reports on the use of the Digital Rebel in their Canon 300D forum, since the Digital Rebel is already available in the USA through (I believe) Best Buy.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 AM
fulltilt
Pupil

Digital Rebel in North America, 300D rest of the world. This will put the pressure on the other manufacturers to improve their prices.

Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
yslee
Thinker

Manual feel of a SLR? Sad to say, the 300D will disappoint in some areas. Thing is that with low end stuff they purposely automate some parts and do not allow for full manual override. It's a bit like getting a car and having to pay more for a manual gearbox nowadays.

I for one dread the release of the 300D, but that's another story altogether, LOL.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:53 AM
rmasinag
Theorist

I wasn't into photography at all until I got a free cheapo 620X480 digicam from Earthlink. I finally got a real digicam with an Oly C2100UZ and now I'm in my Oly C5050. When I heard about the Digital Rebel. I almost pee my pants 8O sub-1000 SLR? wow!

Now gotta figure outa fair price for my Oly, $500-450 maybe. and come up with the rest of the dough.

It's hard being a college student and a geek.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:22 PM
racerx
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee
Manual feel of a SLR? Sad to say, the 300D will disappoint in some areas. Thing is that with low end stuff they purposely automate some parts and do not allow for full manual override. It's a bit like getting a car and having to pay more for a manual gearbox nowadays.

I for one dread the release of the 300D, but that's another story altogether, LOL.
A 6MP camera with interchangable lenses for less than $1000? That is a great deal, no matter how dumbed down it is. Certainly not at the level of my EOS 7e, but I would guess that it is certainly attractive for those who already have EOS lenses and would like to go digital, like me. If it were about $750, I would seriously consider it, but at $1000, I would more likely consider spending the extra $400 and getting the D10 myself. But since 80% of the people with SLRs only go manual about 20% of the time anyway, this should be a big seller.

And collage? Isn't that how they spell college in Canada? :wink:

Old 09-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Deslock
Thinker

Yeah, that's a sweet deal. The limited feature-set is a little irritating, but then again my Canon G2 does pretty much everything I need anyway. My biggest gripes with the G2 apply to all non-SLR digicams: no manual-focus ring (using buttons to adjust manual focus sucks), high shutter lag, slow start-up time, and slow shot-to-shot cycle times. The 300D addresses those issues and (like all SLRs) offers interchangeable lenses too.

Here are some reviews of the 300d:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA.HTM
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/300d.html

Old 09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Full Circle: The Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkthemagicllama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Back when I was in collage, I took a photography class.
Perhaps you should have taken some English courses instead of photography courses in "collage". :twisted:
It's called the "post-in-a-hurry-so-college-doesn't-matter" syndrome. :lol:

--janak

Old 09-24-2003, 01:45 PM
shekondar
Pupil

:drool:

The only thing that would be better is if Minolta would come out with a digital SLR that would let me use all of my Minolta manual-focus lenses...

Still, it's cool to see that digital SLRs are finally coming down to reasonable prices!