Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 09-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dueling Reviews of SplashPhoto from SplashData - Palm and Pocket PC Versions

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1627

BargainPDA has done an interesting comparison between the same program running on both the Palm and Pocket PC platform. Guess which platform did better. :twisted:

"So many software packages are now being made in both Pocket PC and Palm versions. This poses a unique problem for us, as sometimes an application is great on one platform but not the other. Well this time we've got you covered, take a look at SplashPhoto from two angles. In the Pocket PC corner we have Michael Harrison, weighing in with an up-side-down look at the software. And in the Palm OS corner we have Mark Stephenson, who's from the UK, which naturally makes him up-side-down, or reversed or somthing of that nature. And on to the reviews..."

Old 09-20-2003, 05:55 PM
szamot
Sage

Rhetorical question � naturally we all know who was kicking butt and who was on the receiving end of that exercise.

Old 09-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

I have Resco Photo on my Clie NR70V and had it for a week on the Zayo I had for a week last month.

It is the best photo progam for the Palm OS, the only one that allows any real control of brightness, color and such.

But, the PPC version was miles ahead. I believe the Palm OS hardware is up to the same, but either the development tools are not up to it, or someone is paying PPC developers to develop or something, because from word processing to paintware, I no longer find any program on the Palm that is better than those available on the PPC. I still prefer the Palm OS and my Clie to the Zayo I had, but I sure wish the Palm OS software was up to the level of the WM stuff.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:41 PM
JustinGTP
Mystic

And all that Palm has is the fact they invented the PDA first.

And thats pretty much it.

-Justin.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:48 PM
hang5lngbd
Pupil
Default That's more like it!

After reading your post on the front page I assumed that the :twisted: meant that you were upset about the fact that the PPC version was worse. I read the review and understood that the :twisted: meant more of a "heh heh heh, we beat 'em again." I was very pleased to realize my misunderstanding.

So: :twisted: we smoked 'em again.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:20 PM
XmanHP548
Pupil
Default Palm invented the PDA? arghg - NO WAY, man

Palm invented the PDA? arghg - NO WAY, man!

The Apple Newton was the REAL trailblazing PDA...Once again Apple was ahead of the curve.

:| Sigh - Apple never gets the credit it deserves

Old 09-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Sslixtis
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Sslixtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmanHP548
Sigh - Apple never gets the credit it deserves
They do it to themeselves though, so they get no sympathy from me! Even Palm is trying to be competetive these days. :twisted:

Old 09-20-2003, 09:21 PM
prismejon
Intellectual
Default Re: Palm invented the PDA? arghg - NO WAY, man

Quote:
Once again Apple was ahead of the curve.

They took a lot of credit for inventing the first graphical user inteface - after they stole it from Xerox (Xerox Star)...

Old 09-20-2003, 11:52 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph
Default Re: Palm invented the PDA? arghg - NO WAY, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismejon
Quote:
Once again Apple was ahead of the curve.

They took a lot of credit for inventing the first graphical user inteface - after they stole it from Xerox (Xerox Star)...
You are all wrong! Psion invented the first PDA:

Quote: "Psion was founded in 1980 by its Chairman David Potter ... with a proud history of pioneering new markets for digital products. After three years as a publisher and developer of software for the first home computers, Psion began development of its first hardware product. With the Psion Organiser in 1984, Psion launched the world's first volume-produced handheld computer, inventing and defining the product category."

Microsoft, Palm and Apple were nowhere to be seen back then in the PDA market - there wasn't a PDA market even! ;-)

Old 09-21-2003, 01:21 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

So, um, how about that SplashPhoto hey?