Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 09-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pricing Role Reversal

Last night I was flipping through a flyer from Staples, and I saw this ad:

Now consider what you're seeing for a second, and compare that with that you'd see in a flyer a year ago. How things have changed! If you were a consumer looking for your first PDA, which one would you chose? 64 MB vs. 16 MB, $299 CND vs. $449 CND, no camera vs. camera, Viewsonic brand name vs. Palm brand name. All of those factor into the purchasing decision, but the price is the foremost among them all for most consumers. Does anyone else remember when, not even a full year ago, the primary complaint against Pocket PCs was the price?

It's great to see that entry level Pocket PCs are so competative with offerings from the Palm camp. Way to go Pocket PC OEMs! :way to go:

Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 PM
sting0r
Ponderer
Default Re: Pricing Role Reversal

I do agree that it is great to see cheaper PPC for the masses. The days of having to buy a $600 iPAQ are over

Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
dochall
Intellectual

It's a great change and will shake up the market.

The onlyh thing that are a few things that bug about the flyer though.

1) The difference in memory is clouded by the use of SDRAM for the V35. The average reader of the flyer could well be confused. If it just said 64 MB RAM it would be easier to compare.
2) Ok the v35 mentions MP3 and voice recording but there is nothing to stop the user 'watch(ing) videos and play(ing) games.' The absence of these could lead the average reader (man on the clapham omnibus for the UK members) to assume that you can't on the V35.

Maybe we should vet all third party adverts to ensure that the PPC is shown in the best possible light.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Mr. Anonymous
Ponderer

Um, is that the Zire 71 for 449 in Canadian dollars? Because here in the US it retails for $299 at the Palm Store as well as Staples.com:

http://store.palm.com/product/index....eat_prod_title

http://www.staples.com/Products/Spot...24/Default.asp

I think your local Staples is pocketing $150 on every Palm sale

Old 09-09-2003, 08:47 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

This is a good thing. In America, it all comes down to price. This is what drove Palm to it's market share originally.

Old 09-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anonymous
Um, is that the Zire 71 for 449 in Canadian dollars?
Yes - it's highly unlikely that I'd receive US flyers up here in Canada, right? :wink: I've clarified that it's Canadian dollars in my post...

Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

I've noticed this trend here in the Netherlands as well.

Just looking through the weekly stack of advertisements both on and offline, PPC's are much, much cheaper then palms.

An Ipaq 1910 costs 199 euro. This is the cheapest PPC you can get over here. Now let's compare that with some Palms and Sonys:

Palm Tungsten T2: 499 euro
Palm Zire 71: 379 euro
Clie TG50: 449 euro

The cheapest palm is the Zire, costing about 100 euro. Now, this would be cheating as the Zire is just one step above a pen and paper.. so let's take the next step up: color, more memory and high res. So we come to the Clie SJ-22 which costs **219 euro**

But can it play quake? Can it view flash? Does it have a decent word or excel or powerpoint? No. It's an OK palm, but it cannot in any way, shape or form compete with even the cheapest Pocket PC.

Palm used to have the upper hand with two things: price and battery life. Battery life is just about equal these days, and PPC's are cheaper... something to think about!

Old 09-09-2003, 09:01 PM
szamot
Sage

I almost want to say. To Palm, RIP. Amen

Good on you PPC

Old 09-09-2003, 09:28 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

palm is still in the market because of it's simplistic use and slim design. I feel rather stupid with a bulging Dell PDA coming out of my pocket =)

I watched Solaris about a week ago and noticed a sony clie model was being toyed around with briefly by the character played by George Clooney. I have yet to see a movie that shows ppc in use.

I guess ppc's just can't cut it in the movie industry. Damned physically biased hollywood people.

Robert Huie

Old 09-09-2003, 09:35 PM
apeguero
Intellectual

Nice! I took a step in the dark side a couple of months ago when my old Genio 550g died. I bought a Palm Tungsten C. Boy what a useless piece of cr*p that was. Difficult as heck to get it to play video files. Also didn't have a built in picture viewer that worked or an MP3 player for that matter. No built-in Mic. The sound recorder required you to buy Palm's headphone/Mic in order to do voice memos. The headphone was mono. The speaker was lousy. And, yes, it did crash an awful lot. About the only thing I liked about it was the built in keyboard and WIFI. Otherwise everything else was sub par when compared to the Pocket PC. Try viewing web pages in a palm :evil: I guess Palm's Tungsten C is good if used for work stuff but the normal Joe it's pretty much useless.

I sold that chunky brick on e-bay and bought an iPaq 2215. My hat's off to both HP for the hardware and Microsoft for Pocket PC 2003. Not only is it more flexible to use and run programs on, but I'm also finding a lot more programs to use in PPC then in Palm. I can actually use my MS Money 2k3 as well as MS Streets & Trips 2k3 with my Pocket PC without having to buy extra software. All of this and a bigger screen for $200.00 less plus you get a CF slot and removable battery as well. What a turn around

Have you all had the chance to use some of these console emulators on your Pocket PC? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any for the Palm OS :way to go: