Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default WiFi and 3G Gets Cozy

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5073056.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed

"New wireless networking chips for handheld devices are giving second life to the 802.11b standard and could soon test the theory that Wi-Fi and cellular data services can work hand in hand rather than compete."

This stems from the news a few days ago that Broadcom and Royal Philips Electronics are working on smaller and up to 80% more efficient WiFi chips - see this thread.

"Combining the two technologies on a single device is expected to be a winning strategy, some analysts believe, because of the strengths and weaknesses of both. Wi-Fi delivers large amounts of bandwidth over short range, while cellular data networks deliver relatively small amounts of bandwidth over a wide range. As a result, each can compensate for the shortcomings of the other."

Great news, and just another nail in the bluetooth coffin. Ok, flame away!

Old 09-09-2003, 05:55 PM
moaske
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to moaske Send a message via Yahoo to moaske

I'll bite...
Ofcourse that's no nail in the Bluetooth-coffin, cause Bluetooth wasn't intended to be networking technology but just a simple wireless wire-replacement...
But of course you already knew that Ed :twisted:

What is it with american people and the Bluetooth-bashing ? Is it because it was a dutch invention ? :mrgreen:

Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default This is good news

Call me when there's a device that does both. I currently have a T-Mobile GPRS card and it's very slow compared to WiFi. If I had a device taht could switch to another when it's available.....

I just thought about this....T-Mobile is primed for this. They run WiFi Hot Spots and have a GPRS network. I look for this to happen....the Hotspots being included in the price of GPRS. They may have to increase the price but this would be the only way I would do this.

Lastly......

<FLAME_ON>

You said: "Great news, and just another nail in the bluetooth coffin. Ok, flame away!".....

BLUETOOTH IS NOT A LAN TECHNOLOGY! :2gunfire: Bluetooth was designed to act as that wire replacement technology and THATS IT! IP gets thru BT by piggy backing over a serial type or some other type of link. The connection between the devices usually has to be establsihed first, then IP can init over the connection. I am not exactly sure about the specifics on how to establish a IP connection over Bluetooth, but as far as I know, the serial profile is used probably the most of all as it seems to be much simpler and lets you do more (just like the serial port is STILL used to connect somethings).

</FLAME_OFF>

Old 09-09-2003, 07:58 PM
gohtor
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to gohtor Send a message via MSN to gohtor

yeah bluetooth has to connect to something when establishing an ip network connection

there's bluetooth access points but I'm not sure how exactly they work. there's plenty of them on ebay now

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...h+access+point

Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 PM
joechen
Pupil
Default BT not in networking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohtor
yeah bluetooth has to connect to something when establishing an ip network connection
Just like 802.11 establishes layer 2 connection, not IP. I still don't understand why BT is called cable replacement when 802.11 is called networking. Isn't 802.11 a cable replacement of Ethernet? Is it more of a marketing than technical thing?

Old 09-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: BT not in networking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohtor
Just like 802.11 establishes layer 2 connection, not IP. I still don't understand why BT is called cable replacement when 802.11 is called networking. Isn't 802.11 a cable replacement of Ethernet? Is it more of a marketing than technical thing?
It is more of a religion than anything else. :roll:

Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 PM
moaske
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to moaske Send a message via Yahoo to moaske
Default Re: BT not in networking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
It is more of a religion than anything else. :roll:
And that's when some people get struck blind to why a certain technology was developed :bangin:
I use WiFi too u know, and you're right: it's the best for wireless internet connection AT HOME ! (or any other hotspot). It's speed is marvelous ofcourse, but tell me; does it connect to your phone for a decent dial-up ?
And the Bluetooth/WiFi comparisson doesn't work; it's like trying to win the Indy500 in my car:

if you try to use Bluetooth for full wireless networking (that is; IF you succeed at all in configuring it to do that).
Use the right technology for the right thing dude ! :way to go:

Old 09-10-2003, 06:17 AM
susteki
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to susteki
Default Japan had it first.....

I am a very proud owner of a ipaq 2215 and a Wireless PHS & Wi-Fi card here in Japan. I just thought I should post this link being that Japan was the first to implement this idea. I have been using my card for about 1 month now. And it is Great!!!
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/p_s/products/
8O