Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Soap-Powered Fuel Cell - Sort Of

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/008602.php

"First it was that fuel cell that could be powered by white wine, now it's a fuel cell made by a company called Millennium Cell that uses borax, one of the main ingredients in laundry detergent, as its source of energy. Their prototype fuel cell is about the same size as the batteries used in laptops, cellphones, and PDAs, but can provide up to four times the power, so you could have a phone with 12 hours of talk time and a month of standby."

Borax-powered fuel cells? Crazy!

Old 09-07-2003, 03:41 AM
GoldKey
Pontificator

As silly as it may sound, this may work because as another story posted pointed out earlier this week, they are having to go through an approval process for some of the fuel cells that use a flamable fuel to be able to take them on a plane. Something you could just fill with soap would not have that hurdle to overcome and could be to market quicker and that is just what it might take to win.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:29 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Millennium Cell is working on several concepts, including fully disposable power packs. When the fuel runs out, the fuel pack is tossed just like an alkaline battery. Alternatively, the company may develop a cartridge that can be refilled by the consumer, or sent to a factory to be refueled. Whatever the system, Tang estimated the cost to be about $1.50 per cartridge.
It's more convenient to drop something into a cradle/charger. IMO that will play a big role in the adoption of these things, especially on the consumer end.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:37 AM
JustinGTP
Mystic

This is an interesting idea - to say the least. But, what if I got the battery wet and the Borax inside became a paste? 8O

-J

Old 09-07-2003, 04:47 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Civic_Si
This is an interesting idea - to say the least. But, what if I got the battery wet and the Broax inside became a paste? 8O

-J
Laundry time?

Old 09-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Casio Collector
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Casio Collector

Hi,

This idea sound all well and good, part from one huge drawback - rechargable. From what I can gather, you cannot recharge this system (free of charge anyway.) I feel that this will be the main reason that it will not be as successful as it might.

Timothy Monger-Godfrey

Old 09-07-2003, 10:21 AM
KAMware
Ponderer

I have noticed that every time there is a discussion about a new fuel cell technology coming along there are doubters that it will work because it is not rechargable.

It seems we have become so used to recharging batteries that we cannot use any other type of system. The thing I like about fuel cells for laptops is the "Instant" recharging effect of replacing a fuel supply when it is depleted. Instead of plugging in a charger and waiting hours for a recharge. And getting that "Instant" recharge effect anywhere I am. Such as on a long flight. Now I have carried extra batteries with me on flights but I have to believe that an extra fuel supply for a fuel cell is much lighter than extra laptop batteries.

Pocket PCs and cell phones are another matter. They are so small and the batteries are so light that carrying a spare is not a bother to me.

I think the fuel cell way of doing things will take a while to catch on and it is up to the manufactures to create an easy, inexpensive replacement system for them.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:42 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

Exactly, Kam, you hit the nail on the head. The whole point of a fuel cell is that it is not rechargable. Fuel is burned to create electricity to power the device. You are not tethered to an outlet to recharge, you add more fuel and are instantly recharged. People tend to think of plugging in and recharging as being free, but the electricity does have a cost. If they get a fuel cell that is cheap enough to power and whos fuel has a low volume and is easy to transport, it will be a winner. Say fuel came in something the size of a tube of toothpaste. This would be easier to carry than my charger for my laptop. If this was enough fuel for say 5 fillups on a laptop, cost a couple of bucks and was readily available, would this still hold you back from adopting?

Old 09-08-2003, 01:44 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldkey
As silly as it may sound, this may work because as another story posted pointed out earlier this week, they are having to go through an approval process for some of the fuel cells that use a flamable fuel to be able to take them on a plane. Something you could just fill with soap would not have that hurdle to overcome and could be to market quicker and that is just what it might take to win.
The problem is FAA would not like the idea to inspect every single fuel cell battery on electronic devices, to separate the hydrogen-based and the soap-based. What happened if someone actually has the hydrogen-type, but they declare it as soap-based ?

It will be easier for them to just ban the whole family of fuel cell.

Old 09-08-2003, 04:31 AM
eric linsley
Ponderer

no you see the way you charge them is by takinga shower and letting the soap sudds fill the battery pack....

?_?

um.... maybe not. 0X