Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows XP Remote Desktop: Everything You Need to Know

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2...30828021469.htm

Almost a year ago, I was at a Mobius conference in Redmond, and I was telling Joel Evans from Geek.com about the joys of Remote Desktop. Joel wanted to know more, and he asked if I'd write an article for his readers on the A to Z of using Remote Desktop. Well, it took me eight months ops:, but I finally finished the article a few weeks back, and Geek.com has published it. If you've ever wanted to know more about Remote Desktop, and tap into the possibility of accessing your computer from anywhere you go, this is the article for you. Here's part of the introduction:

"The idea behind using Remote Desktop is simple: wherever you are, if you have Internet access, you can work as if you were sitting at your home computer. This isn't a new idea, but it was given new life with the release of Windows XP Professional. Previous versions of Windows had the ability to connect to a desktop remotely, but only by going through a Windows NT or Windows 2000 box running Terminal Services. Configuration was complex, the price tag was high, and it only flourished in enterprise environments. Joe Small Business/Home User was out of luck, unless Joe was a very smart guy and had some cash to throw at the licensing fee. I wasn't that Joe, and as a result never used Terminal Services.

Windows XP changed all that--the Professional version came with a "Terminal Services Lite" client dubbed Remote Desktop Access that was capable of supporting one remote user at a time. It uses the same protocol as Terminal Services: Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). RDP is a fairly efficient protocol, working relatively well over low-bandwidth scenarios. Microsoft did a very smart thing by renaming it Remote Desktop, and MS engineers came very close to making it easy to use. I say "close" because, like most Microsoft first efforts, the company has a good idea but failed to extend it enough to make it really easy for people to use. With a little effort, however, you can mold Remote Desktop into a solid solution..."

Old 08-29-2003, 10:18 PM
griffin911
Pupil

Jason!!! I hit the link to the article on GEEK.com and then hit your name and it sent me to jasondunn.com. 6 active sites!?!?!?!? WOW That is amazing! Since I check this site at least 10 times a day ( I get very bored at work!) I find it hard to believe you get everything done. Thank you for all the hard work you put in here!

Old 08-29-2003, 10:43 PM
ryanmjones
Pupil

Great Article! I have been trying to figure a way to connect to my work computer from home for quite a while now (with quite a few headaches mind you). I do have just one question . . .

How would I "get to my desktop" when my work computer is hiding behind a router? And a software firewall? and a cable modem? And in an air tight welded cast iron . . . well, everything but the last anyway.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:55 PM
PR.
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmjones
Great Article! I have been trying to figure a way to connect to my work computer from home for quite a while now (with quite a few headaches mind you). I do have just one question . . .

How would I "get to my desktop" when my work computer is hiding behind a router? And a software firewall? and a cable modem? And in an air tight welded cast iron . . . well, everything but the last anyway.
You would need the port 3389 opened on the works router and if you have a router at home you will need to forward the port to the PC you want to connect to.

I do this from work to home daily, its very easy to setup and if you keep the images on screen down to a minimum it is as fast as being on the actual PC. Also minimising the remote desktop app stops the screen updating and conserves on bandwidth

Old 08-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Remote Desktop (or Terminal Server) have been a big part of my job for a while now. I use it for all of my servers, home machines, and even to connect to some clients.

Truely one of Microsofts best products.

Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocket
Truely one of Microsofts best products.
Citrix should get some credit too; they invented the technology, and MS licensed it from them. I deployed WinFrame back in the old days when Microsoft didn't offer it...

--janak

Old 08-29-2003, 11:44 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Terminal Services is the best. Remote desktop makes it easy for home users. I am realy glad they did that. For me it's Term Service at work, remote desktop for my home computers (I don't have a domain server).

Old 08-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Citrix should get some credit too; they invented the technology, and MS licensed it from them. I deployed WinFrame back in the old days when Microsoft didn't offer it.
Whew. that was nasty too when dealing with MS hotfixes and service packs. you often had to wait for Citrix to send you a custom SP with the Citrix specific kernel.

Old 08-30-2003, 12:21 AM
BTS
Intellectual

Remote Desktop works as advertised. I wish that XP Home had it built in. I have Professional and would like to be able to support relatives and friends (all whom have XP Home Edition with their new boxes). Rather than talk them through on the phone you can just say "Turn on your computer and watch how I do it." How cool would that be?

Old 08-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTS
Remote Desktop works as advertised. I wish that XP Home had it built in. I have Professional and would like to be able to support relatives and friends (all whom have XP Home Edition with their new boxes). Rather than talk them through on the phone you can just say "Turn on your computer and watch how I do it." How cool would that be?
MSN Messenger would allow them to "Request Remote Assistance" (or something like that). You can then accept the request and they grant you control. It's the same kind of thing in that you see their desktop and you take control; they see what you're doing.