Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-20-2003, 01:39 PM
qmrq
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I never said it was a good choice; but at least it's still supported. Or are you suggesting he run Win2k on a P100?
Well I can think of lots of operating systems that would fly on an original Pentium..

Old 08-20-2003, 01:53 PM
easylife
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmrq
Quote:
I never said it was a good choice; but at least it's still supported. Or are you suggesting he run Win2k on a P100?
Well I can think of lots of operating systems that would fly on an original Pentium..
Like what? :|

Old 08-20-2003, 02:19 PM
qmrq
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by easylife
Quote:
Any good UNIX or Linux.. BeOS if you wanted to get fancy and have graphics.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:44 PM
RussHart
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to RussHart

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or Win2k - 2k Will run on pretty much anything as long as you put enough RAM into it. I'm happily running Win2k on a P133 with 320Mb RAM, runs like a dream...

Old 08-20-2003, 02:58 PM
easylife
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussHart
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or Win2k - 2k Will run on pretty much anything as long as you put enough RAM into it. I'm happily running Win2k on a P133 with 320Mb RAM, runs like a dream...
Will 40MB do?

Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
NOOOOooooooooo!!!!!! That is the question he wanted you to ask. In the words of admiral Ackbar... "It's a TRAP!"

Old 08-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussHart
You're assuming a P100 mainboard can handle that kind of memory capacity. Most of the original P90/P100 mobos didn't support more than 64MB or maybe 128MB. RAM for such old machines isn't cheap anymore, either -- it's rapidly becoming scarce.

Quote:
Uh, have you actually tried to run RedHat 9 on a original Pentium? If you tru to use X with GNOME/KDE, be prepared to be very patient. I have one old server running RH8 on a Cyrix MII/333MHz, and it is extraordinarily slow if I want to launch X to do much of anything. Of course, you could use text-mode, an old distribution, or a lightweight WM, but doesn't that defeat the purpose for end-users? And, besides, this is all off-topic.

--janak

Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 PM
jmarkevich
Ponderer

Quote:
Uh, have you actually tried to run RedHat 9 on a original Pentium? If you tru to use X with GNOME/KDE, be prepared to be very patient. I have one old server running RH8 on a Cyrix MII/333MHz, and it is extraordinarily slow if I want to launch X to do much of anything. Of course, you could use text-mode, an old distribution, or a lightweight WM, but doesn't that defeat the purpose for end-users? And, besides, this is all off-topic.

--janak
RH 9 and MDK 9.x are very heavy, due to all of the PnP type things. I'm using Debian 'Sarge' on my p166, of course, without X. It flies, running tons of services too. That's a new distro, though I wouldn't use anything beyond KDE2 on a doorstop machine like that. So you're right about the lightweight WM thing, at least

Old 08-20-2003, 05:54 PM
questionlp
Pupil

I know this is getting a bit off-topic... but...

The newer versions of the common Linux distributions are quite bloated both in the applications and packages it installs, the default desktop managers (GNOME and/or KDE... both of which are much, much more bloated than say WindowMaker or Blackbox/Fluxbox/Openbox), and the default kernels. PnP plays some part in it, but so does the fact that RedHat, Mandrake, etc like to enable a lot of stuff by default.

You can easily run FreeBSD, OpenBSD, older versions of Mandrake or Slackware, Debian and maybe even SELinux or the 6.x series of RedHat fine on an older system. I used to run my website on a dual Pentium 100 system with 64MB of RAM (FreeBSD 3.x) and it ran fast enough to saturate my DSL connection.

On the Windows side of things, running Windows ME (yuck), 2000 or XP on a P-100 probably will lead to sloth-like performance... but NT4 and 95/98 run dandy... so long as you have enough RAM of course Disabling 98's Active Desktop crap also helps

Old 08-20-2003, 06:07 PM
easylife
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
O.K., now it's official: :nonono:

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator
I would very much like to continue this discussion, but I do admit it is off-topic. Is it possible to split the topic into something like "Operating Systems for Older Computers" ?