Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Messenger Updates Required

http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx

By now, many of you have received an announcement in the email account you have associated with your .NET Passport account that gives some information about a required update to the Messenger client. In fact, some of you have received multiple copies due to a glitch in the system sending out the announcements. ops:

As of now, there is no fix for Pocket PC and Smartphone devices, but it is coming and should be here before the .NET service blocks access to old clients. We'll keep you up to date on the progress and let you know as soon as it is available. I have no clue if it is a RAM install, in the form of an EUU ROM update, or if it will be part of a new ROM image from your OEM.

Updated clients are available for Windows and Mac PCs, so go ahead and get on a valid version as soon as possible.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:08 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Hmmm

Well they finally let me accept files sent by other users? Will emoticons finally be viewable on PPC? Will you be able to use VoIP features like the desktop? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Old 08-19-2003, 03:57 PM
MBaas
Pupil
Default Re: Windows Messenger Updates Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
In fact, some of you have received multiple copies due to a glitch in the system sending out the announcements. ops:
6 copies so far...
Trustworthy Computing :rofl:

Old 08-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

You'd think that many people would have updated to 6.0 by now, so this doesn't seem like a big deal...

Old 08-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
You'd think that many people would have updated to 6.0 by now, so this doesn't seem like a big deal...
Nah. You'd be amazed -- most "average" end-users don't bother upgrading, even with all the cool new features. AIM has a nice auto-upgrade facility; Microsoft should adopt the same for MSNM.

--janak

Old 08-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Haven't received an official notification so I don't know if this is covered. Note that there is a difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger. Both (or whichever one you have) need to be updated to be ready for the server upgrades. The revision numbers are different for ther two products and the capabilities are different. Last I checked the MSN Messenger could not access an Exchange based messaging system, while the Windows Messenger could.

So see which you have and stay with it when you upgrade, unless you know there is no particular reason you need one or the other and have a reason to change. The page linked in the initial post has references for both versions.

Old 08-19-2003, 05:02 PM
easylife
Theorist

Quote:
6.0 isn't compatable with Windows 95, and OS upgrades aren't compatable with my Pentium 100 box... so no upgrade to 6.0 for me... :cry: ... but MS does provide a MSN messenger version that's 95 compatable and able to connect to their services in the future, so I'm all set. :wink:

Old 08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

I haven't been notified either.....funny how some get six notifications and some get none :roll:

I use Windows Messenger, but it sounds like both are affected. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open.

-Brian

Old 08-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easylife
6.0 isn't compatable with Windows 95, and OS upgrades aren't compatable with my Pentium 100 box... so no upgrade to 6.0 for me... :cry: ... but MS does provide a MSN messenger version that's 95 compatable and able to connect to their services in the future, so I'm all set. :wink:
I hate to tell you this, but Win95 isn't supported in any way by Microsoft, and you need to see about upgrading to a new machine, if necessary (although WinMe should work on a P-100, perhaps with a BIOS upgrade). Most importantly, you can't get critical updates for Win95...

--janak

Old 08-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I'm up to nine notifications. Do I get a prize for receiving the most??

Quote:
You might be surprised at how nervous some of us are at upgrading anything that doesn't seem absolutely necessary. This is my development laptop and I am very hesitant to upgrade anything on it that might break existing applications - especially the five IDEs I have to keep up and running on a daily basis (Studio 6.0, Studio.NET, Studio.NET 2003, eMbedded VC++ 3.0, eMbedded C++ 4.0). Microsoft has a tendency to release products with new bells and whistles that don't always leave the old bells and whistles alone. I seem to get killed with every COM object that gets installed. :roll:

Take it from me, he who hesitates is not always lost.