Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Ok, Time To Fess Up. Who Has Been Bitten By The Blaster Worm

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/13/internet.blaster.reut/index.html

I'm just wondering how many here got bitten by the MS Blaster worm. If you haven't patched for it yet, you may get bitten by it while running Windows Update itself, as one of my employees did on their home PC. :roll: You can find out specifics about this vulnerability at Microsoft's security site which includes links to the downloads.

Many don't bother reading the news either that has been warning them of this. I had someone tell me today they didn't open email on their home PC. :idontthinkso: Note that if you haven't patched for it yet and you are planning on waiting until this weekend, don't bother. It is estimated over 140,000 machines are infected and that number will climb in the next few days. On Saturday, they are scheduled to bring MS's Windows Update site to its knees with a DDOS attack, so you won't be able to download it then.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:17 AM
sponge
Philosopher

Knew about it weeks ago. Laughed when I got 8 IMs yesterday from different people saying the exact same thing.

Wonder what's going to happen with the alleged DDOS network being built up by some of these worms. Woo take down the RIAA! :P

Old 08-14-2003, 12:17 AM
hdsalinas
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to hdsalinas

I�t has been a Blast!

I work as an IT administrator for a Pricewaterhousecoopers office here in Honduras. We were attacked!!! All of our laptops were infected. We had to clean the same laptop up to 3 times! Despite our efforts to have them install the patch (we even sent it to them via lotus notes mail) few bothered doing it themselves.

I found out that people rather have us go around cleaning their machine instead of taking 5 minutes to install the patch and update their antivirus software thus preventing getting other people�s machines infected though the network.

I now have a huge head ache, becuase of this woem :| !

Old 08-14-2003, 12:20 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

I am a Net Admin for a large private school and none of our 600+ machines have been infected largely do to strict policies on updates, up to date AV, and knocking on wood!! :lol:

Old 08-14-2003, 12:29 AM
qmrq
Thinker

The solution..? Stop using windows.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:30 AM
smittyofdhs
Thinker

you need to add an option for the vote that says:

No, I wasn't infected because I'm smart enough to have a properly configured firewall and up-to-date virus software installed.

I'm the IT Director for a nationwide publication company and not one machine, neither in corporate offices nor telecommuters got hit with the virus. Thank god for good firewalls and AV software....

Old 08-14-2003, 12:36 AM
karen
Thinker
Default ...

Work machine (provided by client) - Yes
My own laptop (I had to beg to have it connected to the networ) - No
...knock wood

My laptop runs ZoneAlarm and I have work really hard at keeping everything up to date (ZA, windows, office, Norton, AVG, etc.)

I had a full day of of downtime on the client machine while they figured out who's machine to fix first...because, of course, I don't have admin rights to remove it myself from the client machine....

K

Old 08-14-2003, 12:39 AM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyofdhs

Thank god for good firewalls and AV software....
Amen!!!

Old 08-14-2003, 12:42 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyofdhs
you need to add an option for the vote that says:

No, I wasn't infected because I'm smart enough to have a properly configured firewall and up-to-date virus software installed.
True!

I had a subscription to the MS Security Update service, and the patch applied a month ago. Laughing when people around me here started going home because of this.

At home, behind my cable modem I have a router, and my Win2000 desktop has Windows File and Printer share disabled.

The worst thing is - our company actually delivers update automatically to all computers, but the suckers, er, I mean users, cancel the install.

Go figure.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:42 AM
Eitel
Theorist

My machines at home were just fine. I always have them up to date. The 2,000 or so at work? Big mess. Users at work use their computers under a Win2k domain as users, so they have no access to install anything. We got hitted hard. I got out of work yesterday at 11pm (from 8am) implementing a way to deploy the patch using group policy (we don't have a SUS server) and making a file that remote users can download and run to install the patch with elevated rights. That was only for corporate users. The other 1,000 computers or so that we have at the stores were worst. We still run NT4 there, and to make things worst, only SP5. The patch won't install if you don't have SP6. So a massive rollout of SP6a and the patch took place.

I don't think I need to say that yesterday it was an interesting day at work.