Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Save �20 Euro/$15 USD on TextMaker - Only Until Sunday!

http://www.softmaker.de/tmp_en.htm

If you've always wanted to purchase the uber-powerful TextMaker application for your Pocket PC, but have been hesitating due to the price, here's your excuse: until Sunday the 17th, European customers can get it for only �39.95 Euro (�20 off the normal price of 59.95), or $34.95 USD ($15 off the normal price of $49.95). TextMaker is easily the most powerful word-processing tool for the Pocket PC, and at these prices it's a more affordable option. Download the demo today, check it it, and and make your decision before Sunday.

"In an ideal world, you could create a Microsoft Word document on your desktop computer, put it on your Pocket PC, edit and format it on the road, and then send it back to the office as a .DOC file, with content and all formatting still intact. This is what Pocket PC users expect from their mobile computers. Unfortunately, this is not how it works right now. Pocket Word, the "word processor" shipping with all Pocket PCs, is perhaps the biggest disappointment for mobile users: No headers or footers. No tables. No outliner. No on-the-fly spell-checking. Severely limited text formatting. Image support? Barely existent..."

Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 PM
bbarker
Philosopher

This is a great product. Highly recommended.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I second that. With Textmaker, I'm able to truly leave the laptop at home when composing reviews, documents, etc.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:33 AM
SandersP
Intellectual

When are they going to release the spreadsheet?

Old 08-14-2003, 03:14 AM
QYV
Intellectual

Although this is certainly a fully-featured product, I found the demo I tried a few months back to be unbearably slow on a Pocket PC 2002 400Mhz device. Is this any faster on Windows Mobile 2003? I'd sure love to ditch Pocket Word in order to retain simple bullet list formatting, but coughing up $35 and using a ton of RAM to see the "spinning disk" for ten seconds every time I launch it isn't really worth it.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:32 AM
SoftMaker
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by QYV
Although this is certainly a fully-featured product, I found the demo I tried a few months back to be unbearably slow on a Pocket PC 2002 400Mhz device. Is this any faster on Windows Mobile 2003? I'd sure love to ditch Pocket Word in order to retain simple bullet list formatting, but coughing up $35 and using a ton of RAM to see the "spinning disk" for ten seconds every time I launch it isn't really worth it.
If TextMaker needs 10 seconds to start up on such a device, you probably installed to a storage card -- and a very slow one at that, maybe even \Built-In Storage or the iPaq FileStore. Try it again in internal memory or get a faster storage card, and your experience should be vastly different.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Old 08-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Lday
Ponderer

My question is- how does it handle embedded documents? My company makes extensive use of there fot Customer Information Bulletins, keeping site names and locations, parts listings, and settings in embedded documents. So far, my only resort has been copying and pasting the embedded document back into the original. Since these CIB's may change several times monthly, and I usually have at least 50 of them, it doesn't always (can you saw "never?") get done.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:06 PM
SoftMaker
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lday
My question is- how does it handle embedded documents? My company makes extensive use of there fot Customer Information Bulletins, keeping site names and locations, parts listings, and settings in embedded documents. So far, my only resort has been copying and pasting the embedded document back into the original. Since these CIB's may change several times monthly, and I usually have at least 50 of them, it doesn't always (can you saw "never?") get done.
Hmm, what are "embedded documents"? If you mean Excel sheets inserted as OLE objects, that won't work on Pocket PCs because they have no OLE support. If you mean something else, try to explain.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Old 08-14-2003, 05:54 PM
austingeog
Pupil
Default Downloaded the trial today

I downloaded it to a compact flash card (Viking 1GB) and have had no issues using it from there. Looks promising. It also made me realize how spoiled I am. At the Univ of Texas where I am, I can get XP professional for like $20 bucks. Now spending $35 for a word processor....astounding. So far so good with it....I will probably get it.

Old 08-14-2003, 06:20 PM
austingeog
Pupil
Default I do have a question on bibliography programs

Not sure if there are any progams like Endnotes or Procite that would work on the PocketPC but does this software or any other software have the ability to work with a bibliography software on pocketPCs? I have an h2210.