Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Gateway Freezes Plans for Pocket PC Release

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5062728.html

A few other enthusiast sites reported on this story earlier today, but I was holding off hoping to hear back from a PR contact I have. It seems CNET dug up some further info on this:

"Gateway has indefinitely delayed the launch of its handheld device.
The Poway, Calif.-based company, which had intended to release a handheld based on Microsoft's Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 software and sell it under the Gateway brand this month, now plans to hold back the device. "We've missed our launch window," a company spokesperson said. Gateway had already delayed the release of the device, which was originally slated for a mid-July debut, until mid-August for further testing. Because further delays would push it past the mid-August launch date and hamper its prospects for the 2003 holiday season, Gateway decided to put the device on indefinite hold, the spokesperson said."

This is unfortunate news. Although the Gateway device didn't seem to be a breakthrough device in terms of specifications or looks, another player in the field would have been welcome. The Gateway statement puzzles me - I wonder what sort of issues they ran into?

Old 08-12-2003, 07:46 PM
David C
Intellectual

Maybe because so many people from so many enthusiast sites are complaining about how ugly and unoriginal the gateway device look, Gateway just decide to not release the device at all to avoid the risk of selling an un-profitable product.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:01 PM
SandersP
Intellectual

Well they did their test market (aka. leak that picture to the media) if you ask me. If they launch that rover thing, it'll be an instant flop at $300.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:14 PM
CTSLICK
Sage
Default Re: Gateway Freezes Plans for Pocket PC Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
This is unfortunate news. Although the Gateway device didn't seem to be a breakthrough device in terms of specifications or looks, another player in the field would have been welcome. The Gateway statement puzzles me - I wonder what sort of issues they ran into?
Your question is asked and answered by your own statement The "issues" are that there is nothing breakthrough about the device from a design, feature or price standpoint. How could they go forward with a launch without anything to create some marketing buzz? When Dell launched they clearly created a lot of interest on "bang for the buck" and they have done quite well with that approach. I think Gateway realizes there is not room in the market for another direct sale PDA without something to seperate them from the pack.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:46 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

I agree with CTSlick... the "middle of the road" PPC category is too crowded right now. I think Gateway is smart not to release the device... they would have lost big money on it. With no product differentiation, it really didn't have a chance. What was it bringing to the table? Nothing that hasn't already been done several times.

Good call, Gateway. Now that you learned your lesson, how about being innovative and delivering a uniquely positioned device?

Old 08-12-2003, 08:55 PM
rosettaZ
Pupil

I think if Gateway wants to make money in PPC, there is one thing that nobody has done it to its logical conclusion.

The cradle and sleeve model. Sell one or two PPC model, and make money on various fancy sleeve and cradle. Sort of like a milder version of the Razor and shaver model.

Basic strip down PDA with very consistant cradle plug/sleeve
-$160-199 basic single slot PDA
-$299-399 somewhat fancier model.

Various cradle $99-299...even more...
-simple docking port with printer slot , keyboard and monitor
-wireless docking port
-simple audio/video cradle
-projector adaptor
-various technical/measurement adaptor/port/cradle/sleeve
-technical toys...
-license the plug to anybody who fancy building attachment.

Basically it's Toshiba E3xx with very good cradle/sleeve system.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
AKBishop
Pupil

Hopefully this means that Gateway is a dynamic company that responds to the market. If they paid attention enough to know their PPC wouldn't do that well then maybe they took notice of what it will take for a successful PPC. That'd be nice... a company that listens AND responds.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Fzara
Thinker

This month would have been great for the marketing team, considering the fact that it would have been a great bundle for the back to school season.

I don't know why all of you thought the device was so ugly; I personally thought it was sweet looking. Although the specs could have been better...

I guess we can't credit Foo anymore for his prediction. :mrgreen:

Old 08-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Scott R
Philosopher

Most here have already hit the nail on the head, IMO. Gateway either figured out themselves or saw initial feedback after the photos hit the web and decided that this would be a lackluster seller. Kudos to them for pulling the plug. Perhaps MS was already aware of their decision a while ago and that prompted the recent news of MS relaxing their standards. Perhaps Gateway indicated to them that they'd like to be able to do something a bit more interesting. Of course, I'm still waiting to hear more specifics on exactly what standards were relaxed by MS (and which standards still exist).

My understanding is that Gateway was going to use a design created by an Asian manufacturer, and that design may in fact be sold in other countries (as someone here mentioned, I believe it's called the Rover). So, it doesn't seem to me that Gateway personally invested/lost much in making this decision.

Scott

Old 08-13-2003, 04:43 AM
Excalliber
Intellectual

They whould go for the (original) Zire price range. 2.8 inch screen, minimal D-pad and button space, and less than 3/16 inch thick along all the borders with a Samsung 266 Mhz processor. Oh, and a flip cover that folds back flush against the back of the unit, with one SD slot that is SDIO compatible. I think that a simple design (like the e series of Toshiba) would be best. Just some rounded edges, with maybe a strip of rubber a little thicker than the e series' around the edges. And it has to be THIN!!!!!!!!! much thinner than the 19xx series. Too bulky if you want to break new grounds.

If they really wanted to go down in price, you could have no SD slot with 64 or even 32 megs of memory, but I like 32 megs with an SDIO capable slot better. something of this pricerange could settle for Windows Mobile 2003 professional with a 16 meg rom chip (if it will fit in there... anyone know about the new professional?). Target price: 130 - 150 Euros (Go Euros! :lol: ), or 150 - 175 American dollars, or 200 to 240 Canadian dollars.

Now that would be original. They would be the first company to break the standard definition of a Pocket PC that Microsoft just relaxed. Anyone know if having buttons are even a requirement anymore? If not, drop those too in favor of a line of buttons on the bottom of the screen.

Maybe that was too off-topic...

Nah :wink: