Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Is WiMAX Going to Kill WiFi?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10394

"Intel has called 802.16 "the most important thing since the Internet itself", and even allowing for a dose of self-serving, it is not talking entirely in hyperbole. WiMAX will extend the potential of Wi-Fi to far longer distances � around 30 miles. It is important, and is evolving at the speed of light (in standards terms anyway), but this rapid development is at the cost of the agenda being dominated by two already over-powerful vendors, Intel and Nokia.

WiMAX is showing off its first system profiles and interoperability tests at the the [sic] WCA annual conference in Washington DC this week, in a significant step towards making the 802.16a standard, ratified by the IEEE in March, a commercial technology. While a fully mobile version of WiMAX is in the wings, this first release will cover fixed wireless, and its supporters are focusing in particular on broadband last mile in unwired areas, and on backhaul for hotspots. Intel will start to make WMan chips this year and we should see WiMAX products early in 2004."

Wow. 8O You have to go check out this article by Caroline Gabriel - I can't believe we didn't post about this last month! I'm always dubious of new "standards", because more often than not they result in market confusion and sluggish adoption. It will take a few years for WiiMAX [sic] to become a reality (barring any serious issues), but when it does, I can forsee this potentially changing the wireless, and even land-line broadband landscape.

On a different note, am I the only one who thinks both The Register and The Inquirer should hire professional copy editors? It seems like every article I read on those sites has one or more typos. Not like here of course. :lol:

Old 08-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register
The Register employs some of the world's worst spellers, and even worse proof readers. So asking us our position on US v. UK spelling conventions seems a little redundant . But as you ask, here is our official position - our American-based writers and US-based content partners use American spelling; and our British-based writers and British-based content partners use English English spelling. There's consistency for you, and no we're not going to change. So we're cosmopolitan. Live with it.
Well at least they admit it :wink:

Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 PM
pradike
Ponderer
Default Re: Is WiMAX Going to Kill WiFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
"Intel has called 802.16 "the most important thing since the Internet itself", and even allowing for a dose of self-serving, it is not talking entirely in hyperbole. WiMAX will extend the potential of Wi-Fi to far longer distances � around 30 miles. It is important, and is evolving at the speed of light (in standards terms anyway), but this rapid development is at the cost of the agenda being dominated by two already over-powerful vendors, Intel and Nokia. :lol:
:roll:

If this is alll true...holy moley...this is a security nightmare. We're still all somewhat unprotected after 10 years of "putting security" on the WEB....and now you want to radiate this out 30 miles via WIFI....

This seems like the mother of all security holes for hackers.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Mojo Jojo
Theorist
Default ...

Well if you can deploy enough of them so that coverage converges, then pass info from zone to zone in an adressable nature... you could create a internet backbone with no land lines.

Possibly bringing the internet to areas where there is no previous infrastructure, much like cell phones are now a better choice for developing communications where there is no land line infustructure currently in place.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:30 PM
peterg
Pupil

Now this is cool, not only will I be able to war-drive in my own neighbourhood, I'll be able to do it for every unprotected access point in 30 miles!

I'll never have to buy internet again!

Old 08-11-2003, 09:57 PM
CameronK
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to CameronK Send a message via MSN to CameronK

I seriously doubt that this will be a standard consumer product if its broadcast radius is 30 miles, so I also doubt you'll be walking around your neighborhood finding these access points.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:59 PM
absolutVenky
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG
Now this is cool, not only will I be able to war-drive in my own neighbourhood, I'll be able to do it for every unprotected access point in 30 miles!

WiMax will largely be offered by service providers on licensed spectrum and will targt proprietary LMDS and MMDS solutions as well as hotspot backhaul. While the technology will also find its way into end-user devices it will be a managed environment - much like cellular networks.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:40 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG

:twak: Bad wardriver! Bad! Bad!

Please look here.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:42 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutVenky
While the technology will also find its way into end-user devices it will be a managed environment - much like cellular networks.
I was just going to say "Cellular Wi-Fi".

How big is a (phone) cell, anyways?

Old 08-12-2003, 12:27 AM
shindullin
Intellectual

What the heck is wardriving and why would this new wireless sytem be vulnerable/accessable to wardriving?