Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default PC World Does a Wireless Handheld Shoot-Out

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/arti...642,pg,1,00.asp

"We marveled at the very first Palm handhelds because they stored so much information, made data entry easy with a touch screen and stylus, and, best of all, synchronized with our desktop contact managers. Since then, screens have gotten nicer, cases have gotten skinnier, and Microsoft has gotten into the act--but in many respects personal digital assistants haven't changed a lot over the years. For many users, they're still primarily electronic organizers, enhanced by software that lets one edit a spreadsheet or play a game. But in the last year or so, advances in processors and other electronics have given rise to a whole new breed of connected handhelds--powerful devices that send and receive data over wireless networks, and others that double as cell phones.

For this review, we looked at ten shipping PDAs with some sort of connectivity--either a phone/PDA hybrid such as Sony Ericsson's P800, or a Wi-Fi-enabled device such as Palm's Tungsten C handheld. Each model was entrusted to a different PC World editor to live with for a few weeks. We used these handhelds to access our contacts and calendars, to browse the Web, to manage e-mail, to send instant messages, and--on the phone/PDA hybrids--to make and receive voice calls."

Old 08-10-2003, 01:52 AM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

Nice comparison of the various models, especially the chart on how to pick a handheld. However, the individual reviews were too short.

Old 08-10-2003, 02:14 AM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold

I think that's quite a poor comparison given the fact that there is not even a single PocketPC of the market leader HP involved... what's fair about that? And how will you ever get a result when you have different people testing something? No, mates, the only thing I learn from that is that someone wants to tell me what I'm supposed to think... and I don't :wink:

Old 08-10-2003, 02:18 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

farnold, that's because they were only looking at "WAN" devices (not WiFi devices), and HP doesn't have any.

--janak

Old 08-10-2003, 02:52 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, I can see farnold's point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCworld.com
For this review, we looked at ten shipping PDAs with some sort of connectivity--either a phone/PDA hybrid such as Sony Ericsson's P800, or a Wi-Fi-enabled device such as Palm's Tungsten C handheld.
If the Tungsten C and Toshiba E755 were there, why not the HP5500?

Old 08-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
Oops. I totally missed pages 5 and 6. ops: I stand corrected.

Must get more sleep...

--janak

Old 08-10-2003, 03:20 AM
iamchocolatemilk
Pupil

Meh...I'll have to try out a Tungsten C i suppose eh? I love how they dont mention any of the Pocket PC's other stuff that, make it a "Pocket PC"...Whatever though, I guess most hardcore business users can only use OEM stuff, anyways. And Hey...who even NEEDs more then 64mb...Bah CF slot. Ha, they dont DESERVE a Pocket PC...

Later,
Andrew

Old 08-10-2003, 04:23 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
Oops. I totally missed pages 5 and 6. ops: I stand corrected.
No worries Janak. I think you're allowed an average of one mistake for every 500 or so posts here. 8)
Quote:
Must get more sleep...
Or you could take a book from one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies (II or IV I think) and just wash down a heaping tablespoon of instant coffee with a Coke. :wink:

Old 08-10-2003, 04:54 AM
QYV
Intellectual

It seems like most of the reviewers - including the ones who reviewed the Samsung and T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition - were dedicated Palm users. That's a pretty poor way to get an unbiased review, IMHO. There's a learning curve associated with any new OS, and the familiar often seems "better". I guess if your staff all use Palms, there's not much you can do, but it still disappoints me.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:52 AM
The Half-Ling
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Ling Send a message via MSN to The Half-Ling Send a message via Yahoo to The Half-Ling

I completely disagree with this supposed fair compatison where is the bluetooth/wifi devices...go 5500!!!

Jake