Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon, Vodafone To Develop Dual-Mode Data Card

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...tc_cmp/12808150

Looks dual-mode (e.g., CDMA + GSM) technology is finally nearing reality, thanks to Vodafone's involvement as one of the major shareholders in Verizon Wireless.

"The data card, to be based on Vodafone's Mobile Connect Card, will be marketed by Verizon Wireless via a license from Vodafone. The service would give business users the ability to access e-mail, the Net and corporate applications on their laptops when located within any of Vodafone's territories or in Verizon Wireless' U.S. network, and when traveling in Europe."

Two problems: I can't begin to imagine with the roaming fees will be, and where's the CompactFlash version for my Pocket PC? (Well, that and the fact that no one has released a GSM/GPRS + CDMA + BT + WLAN Pocket PC yet... )

Old 08-05-2003, 05:05 PM
codesmith
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to codesmith Send a message via MSN to codesmith Send a message via Yahoo to codesmith

Yes, I have grown quite spoiled by T-Mobile's Unlimited Data....that would make it useable. Paying by the KB would get the card from getting any real use. Maybe they would bundle this with some sort of high usage plan.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:16 PM
racerx
Intellectual
Default Re: Verizon, Vodafone To Develop Dual-Mode Data Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
(Well, that and the fact that no one has released a GSM/GPRS + CDMA + BT + WLAN Pocket PC yet... )
I believe that Intermec has developed a Pocket PC based unit that comes close - you can choose your Wireless Provider as well as having Bluetooth and WiFi. Not sure if you can have both GSM/GPRS & CDMA/1xRTT in the same unit yet, but if you can't, give'em a few days and I'm sure they'll figure it out.

http://home.intermec.com/eprise/main...&Family=CMPTR2

Old 08-05-2003, 05:32 PM
sting0r
Ponderer

Now all we need is a dual mode cell phone with GSM and CDMA in it with a SIM card. Then come november when the cell phone number portability regulation goes into effect we can switch between providers, keep the same cell phone and the same number

Old 08-05-2003, 05:42 PM
AKBishop
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
(Well, that and the fact that no one has released a GSM/GPRS + CDMA + BT + WLAN Pocket PC yet... )
Don't forget about Zigbee.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBishop
Don't forget about Zigbee.
Aieee! Let's try this again.

GSM 850/900/1800/1900 - GPRS, HSCSD
CDMA 800/1900/(Japan 2.4?) - 1xRTT, 1xEV-DO, 1xEV-DV
UMTS/WCDMA 2100
802.11 a/b/g
Bluetooth, UWB?
ZigBee
FM/AM (just for the hell of it)

Did I forget anything? (Don't tell me AMPS...)

--janak

Old 08-05-2003, 08:43 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Wait a minute. Read the article again. The data card (reviewed here a few months ago) is GPRS only.

The GSM/CDMA chip is still in the plans:

"The duo is also working on a GSM/CDMA (news - web sites) chipset that would give Verizon Wireless customers the ability to use their phones and phone numbers while traveling in Europe on the Vodafone footprint."

Don't go buying laptops just to use the card for CDMA because it's not a CDMA card :|

Old 08-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Hmm. I'm confused too. :| Take a look at the official Verizon Wireless press release - and see if you can make heads or tails of exactly what they're doing. It seems like they have a multipronged approach, and it's not clear which is which. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see -- although they are definitely working on a dual-mode GPRS/1xRTT solution for the future.

--janak

Old 08-05-2003, 09:26 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Nah... They're just playing in both fields "Verizon CDMA x Vodafone GPRS". Not that products will converge. It's like Telstra in Australia. They run two networks, CDMA and GSM and never managed to get things integrated - and never will.

I think they're just pitching the fact that Verizon can cover the area you need with CDMA, and if you happens to be on GSM, Vodafone will do the job. Actually just marketing mumbo jumbo...

Old 08-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

You mean, it's all marketingspeak.

I'll see if I can dig out any other info, and if necessary I'll make a correction.

--janak