Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-30-2003, 07:00 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Micaceler Pocket Xword

http://www.micaceler.com/pxword.htm

Micaceler have released Pocket XWord. "Pocket XWord is a crossword puzzle game for your Pocket PC. It includes several puzzles and more can be downloaded from here. Pocket XWord can open any puzzle in the Across Lite format. This includes puzzles from many popular publishers such as USA Today, The New York Times and The Washington Post." The price for this game is $12 [affiliate].

Old 07-30-2003, 12:59 PM
MobiliT
Ponderer
Default USA Today?

I used to love saving the USA Today puzzles in the Across Lite format for later play on the PPC. Their puzzles were not as difficult as the Times and thus more enjoyable. However, USA Today switched to a Flash format and I'm not sure it is possible to download any longer. Anyone else have any luck?

Old 07-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Pogo Possum
Neophyte
Default crosswords

I contacted USA Today after they changed their crossword, and they told me their puzzle can not be downloaded any longer. The Washington Post is similar - a flash page, not a downloadable .puz file. The makers of this software are being dishonest if they are stating that their software can play puzzles "including" USA Today and the Post - as far as I can tell, the New York Times it the ONLY major newspaper that makes their puzzles downloadable (although there may be others, but USA Today and the WP do not).

Old 07-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

This looks like an interesting program - I'd enjoy doing the Times crossword on my Pocket PC. However, does anyone know if the NYT crossword can be downloaded for free, or do you have to pay for some kind of subscription?

Old 07-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Pogo Possum
Neophyte

You have to pay. $6 a month, or $35 a year. Check out http://www.nytimes.com/pages/crosswords/index.html. I subscribe, and love it. I used to also download the USA puzzles (which were free) until the paper discontinued the service. I use a different program, however - Crossword, from www.jimmysoftware.com.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo Possum
You have to pay. $6 a month, or $35 a year.
Heh. I have more subscriptions than I know what to do with right now (Netflix, Audible.com, Salon.com, Cheapskate Monthly [the irony!], a couple different magazine subscriptions). I guess I'll have to hold off on this one, or find free crosswords.

Old 07-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Pogo Possum
Neophyte

I just checked, the LA times does have a free puzzle download. THe link provided on the posting article lists a number of papers that it claims have downloads - I know that USAToday and the W Post don't, but I'll check out the others later...

Old 07-30-2003, 02:56 PM
boanerges
Neophyte

The Houston Chronicle has free puzzles to download as well.
I like this program. I just wish they would support Transcriber/Calligrapher. That is the only thing keeping it from being the perfect crossword app.

Old 07-30-2003, 03:52 PM
jeff
Intellectual

Here's a free alternative that I've been using for years:

http://www.geocities.com/briancbarnes/CEPage.html

Old 07-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Micaceler
Neophyte
Default Download more puzzles

A whole hoard of puzzles, many of which were tested with Pocket XWord, many of them free, can be downloaded from http://www.micaceler.com/xpuz.htm.

USA Today and the Post don't have the puz file downloads on their own sites anymore (they used to), but they are now still available from the Puzzle Society web pages (requires subscription) which are also listed in the URL above.

But first you can follow the link above to find thousands of free puzzles.