Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-25-2003, 12:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Iomega's Mini 1.5GB Disks

http://www.forbes.com/home/2003/07/...partner=newscom

Iomega isn't completely out of the market yet. They've developed a technology that might supercede the initial promise of the DataPlay that we talked about some time ago -- and this one has a chance to make it to market in 2004.

"Iomega has dubbed its new technology DCT for Digital Capture Technology, and it consists mainly of removable matchbook-sized discs. At first the discs look almost identical to the old PocketZip discs that formed the basis of Iomega's ill-advised foray into the MP3 music-player business way back in 2001. What's new is the capacity of the DCT discs, which tops out at 1.5 gigabytes versus the 100 megabytes of the PocketZip days."

Old 07-25-2003, 12:44 AM
lbcox
Pupil
Default DCT discs

I still have several of the old Zip discs. I wonder if the new discs will fit the PC card. That would be a novelty since companies rarely do that. I'm not sure if I would buy any because I remember how much my battery drained when using it. Albeit batteries, as I'm sure this disc technology, have improved..... it still spins.... and that takes power.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:53 AM
blueshirt80
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to blueshirt80 Send a message via AIM to blueshirt80 Send a message via MSN to blueshirt80 Send a message via Yahoo to blueshirt80

I'm not an expert but when did pocket zip disks come in 100MB size? I only remeber the 40MB size...

Old 07-25-2003, 01:09 AM
Cortex
Philosopher

theyre dead...

who wants a proprietary reader for the disk when you can use CF or SD in many more devices?

Old 07-25-2003, 01:10 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

I was about to ask the same thing. I know Iomega claimed they would be coming out with 100 MB disks, but I never saw larger than 40 MB. I still have an old Click! PC Card drive sealed up in a box. Complete with slick little metal case and one disk. I bought two when a local store was closing them out for $10 a couple years ago. I used one of them exactly two times and never did anything with the other. The unopened box still sits on a shelf in the closet, a silent casualty of the flash media invasion.

--Dave

Old 07-25-2003, 01:29 AM
Mitch D
Sage

It was Iomega's proprietary technology that has doomed previous drives they have come out with. iomega needs to learn that most people are not interested in "platter" based storage systems. Between the USB based memory devices that store up to a GB now a days and things like CF and SD that are also at a GB why would anyone jump at something like this? :frusty:

Old 07-25-2003, 01:56 AM
beq
Oracle

Iomega IS also selling all sorts of standards-based storage products as anyone can see, but I get the feeling being just another undistinguished seller among the crowd didn't win it much business.. they must still be pining for the good ol' Zip days...

Old 07-25-2003, 02:49 AM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by achille
http://www.iomega.com/about/prreleases/2001/100mb_pocketzip.html
I don't think they were released. Otherwise, it would be listed here

I do hope the 1.5G would be compatible with the ol PocketZip/pc card adapter.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:55 AM
sambeckett
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortex
theyre dead...

who wants a proprietary reader for the disk when you can use CF or SD in many more devices?
agreed.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncruise
...I do hope the 1.5G would be compatible with the ol PocketZip/pc card adapter.
I seriously doubt that would be possible. Even if it could physically work and the read/write head could read the new media, they'd probably design it in such a way that you'd be forced to buy all new equipment so they can try to make some money off of this before the product fails in the market.

Damn, I've gotten cynical in my old age.

--Dave