Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Weight Watchers Points Calculator

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...productId=81425

"This easy to use program will take the calories, fat grams, and dietary fiber grams on a per serving basis and provide you with the equivalent Weight Watchers points. This program is very useful when grocery shopping."

I know someone on Weight Watchers (no, it's not me, although I could stand to lose a few pounds, that's for sure... :rawr, and this might be useful to them. Even more useful though would be the Weight Watchers database of foods and points. [Affiliate]

Old 07-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Brian J. Burke
Neophyte
Default Start a pool?

Is this an officially sanctioned WW point calculator? They're pretty, ahem, dilligent about enforcing their IP when it comes to that system. Point calculators, even free ones, disappear pretty quick unfortunately.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say grab this while you can.

I remember about a year-and-a-half-or-so ago when my wife had us trying WW. A bunch of programs for the Palm (and I think one or two for the PPC) cropped up and were quickly removed. Apparently Weight Watchers was threatening legal action against these.

It's too bad, whatever helps I think.

On the other hand, maybe they've lightened up a little or maybe the developer got permission.

Also, to your question about a database of foods and points, there are one or two lists available for ListPro on the Ilium site.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:29 AM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

About a year ago or so, Tiny Tech Software introduced a product called Pocket Points Tracker, which used the WW point system. After Weight Watchers threatened them with legal action, they revised the product and changed it to Pocket Diet Tracker. The new product doesn't reference the Points system at all.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I recall a good number of programs and sites that have incurred the attention of WW lawyers. If these guys haven't gotten permission (which I doubt they did) they have some garbonzos using the logo.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I doubt the developer got permission to use the logo, but it begs the question, why doesn't WW come out with their OWN version? The could have hired an outside company to develop the application for the amount of money they spend on lawyers chasing down the "illegal" applications.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:43 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I think they get more money out of you by keeping you in the system than by releasing a program so you can go it on your own...

Old 07-22-2003, 04:04 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
I think they get more money out of you by keeping you in the system than by releasing a program so you can go it on your own...
Ah, good point! :|

Old 07-22-2003, 08:31 AM
Techtoys
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Techtoys

Actually, there web applications let you go it alone, and they sell a calculator / points tracker that has a database in it - you just have to put up with the hassle of carrying another device.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Ratel10mm
Ponderer

I'm currently doing WW (Yes, it does work - for me anyway).
I brought up exactly this point - I do not want to have to carry several different gadgets all the time. That's one of the things I love about PDA's.
Frustratingly, when I e-mailed WW and asked if they would release a PDA version of the points database, they simply said 'We have no plans to do this'
The U.K. system does not take the fibre content into account, and annoyingly, if you transpose the equation to find the amount of fibre, using the points calculator (slide rule type thing) WW issue to give you the neccesary values, you find that the answer is inconsistent.
If anyone cleverer than me can come up with an answer, then I suspect that all UK users of this calculator would be eternally grateful.
By the way, I have used the Palm version of this calculator, and entered the fibre from the info on the packet, but it often doesn't really match up with the UK slider thingy.