Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-21-2003, 06:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung Unveils 533MHz Mobile Processor

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030720/205006_1.html

"Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the S3C2440, the world's fastest mobile CPU, with a core speed of 533MHz. The new mobile CPU will drive the emergence of new services, functions and multimedia content for mobile handheld devices such as PDAs and smartphones."

The 1940 iPAQ uses a S3C2410 chip which is from the same ARM920T core as this S3C2440, so that means it is in the older ARMv4 family, not the ARMv5 family with the X-Scale. At those speeds though, it doesn't matter. This is why MS refused to optimize for X-Scale specifically. :way to go: We have some serious competition now in Pocket PC chips. 300MHz, 400MHz and the 533MHz chip are expected to go into mass production by the fourth quarter of this year.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Enderet
Thinker

I can already imagine the new axims using this processor. w00t. The 2210 is going to have a competitor. Hehehe

Old 07-21-2003, 06:30 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

More speed is a good thing... I'm surprised it's taken this long to go up from 400MHz. I was thinking somewhere in the 700MHz range by now. I know there are more issues with electronics this small....

Old 07-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Enderet
Thinker

Well I just remembered that Intel already has a 600mhz ppc processor. If only I could find the link. Damn. Anyone else remember reading this? If im not mistaken this was on Intels site.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:37 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderet
Well I just remembered that Intel already has a 600mhz ppc processor. If only I could find the link. Damn. Anyone else remember reading this? If im not mistaken this was on Intels site.
Woooh, 600MHz would be WAAAAY nice.

Old 07-21-2003, 07:46 AM
ConceptVBS
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
More speed is a good thing... I'm surprised it's taken this long to go up from 400MHz. I was thinking somewhere in the 700MHz range by now. I know there are more issues with electronics this small....
Thats because of a monopoly by Intel and thus a lack of innovation.

Update from Samsung:

They are planning to release 1GHz mobile CPU by the end of next year.

We need innovators like Samsung to boost performance levels and cut down costs. This is great news for all of us.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Jfenix
Neophyte

8O

Considering the 266Mhz chip in the 1940 is almost equal(and sometimes better) than the 400Mhz X-Scale chips in other models, this is probably going to be an excellent alternative to intel chips. Unless the PXA 26X is a lot faster than current X-Scales...

Old 07-21-2003, 10:02 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

higher speed = higher power consumption = lower battery life ...

Old 07-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
higher speed = higher power consumption = lower battery life ...
Except my 400MHz X-Scale 2215 gets better battery life than did my ~80MHz Nino from 1998. It is also better than the 206MHz battery life of my 3600 when it was new.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker
Default Great News

The things that jazz me about this are:

Competition is good. More speed, lower prices, more features.

The camera function built-in.

Samsung is huge volume and can do everything from the chip to the support software (they have their own hardware abstraction layer for both Palm OS and Windows Mobile 2003) to the case design. I am pretty sure they make screens from scratch and they are one of the largest if not the largest memory chip manufacturers in the world.

.13 micron. The smaller a chip the faster AND the less power. I believe .13 is as small as it gets right now.

We could get a ton of new features: voice recognition, optical scanning of pages of text (through that camera that has built-in support) coverted to text right on the PPC, new levels of compression for video and audio that would allow us to save more on less flash space, and......drum roll......HIGHER RESOLLUTION SCREENS without slowdown!