Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 07-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Sony Announcing New Wireless Handheld This Week

http://www.brighthand.com/article/S...dheld_on_Friday

"Information obtained by Brighthand from Sony Japan's website shows that it will have integrated Bluetooth and 802.11b wireless networking capabilities. It will come with Sony's suite of Internet applications, including Clie Mail as well as the NetFront v3.0 for Clie web browser. The Clie PEG-UX50 will use Palm OS version 5.2 and run on what Sony calls its Handheld Engine. The Handheld Engine appears to consist of an ARM926 based processor, possibly running at 300MHz, a Digital Signal Processor (DSP), a CXD2230GA graphics accelerator chip, and 64MB DRAM."

8O This looks amazing! I've never been seriously tempted to buy a Palm device until now - I've always had a soft-spot in my heart for devices with keyboards. Like all Sony devices, this is quite aggressive technically. I wonder about the screen though - 480 x 320 on a 3.2 inch screen will make for some rather tiny text. Still, I'm drooling on my keyboard...

Where are the Pocket PC OEMs willing to step up and create innovative form-factors like this? :|

Old 07-17-2003, 03:32 PM
sting0r
Ponderer

Jason, I agree with you. I really like this form factor. I must control myself don't want to turn back to the dark side, now that I have been using a pocket pc/wince device for the past 4 years......

If it's not too expensive I may just buy one to goof around with though, but when is a pocketpc vendor going to come out with small device with a keyboard!!!!!

Old 07-17-2003, 03:33 PM
dh
Mystic

This is the first POS device that might tempt me to switch back.
You're right Jason, it would be fantastic to see PPC OEMs coming up with innovative designs like this.
A form factor like this with dual expansion and WM2003 would be a killer device.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:35 PM
numb
Pupil

Whats innovative about that form factor..Psion did it years ago! And with a better keyboard (from what you can see in the photo)

Old 07-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Monty Gibson
Thinker

I'm sorry, but Sony truly is kicking some serious ass in the hardware field. I wished they ran a better OS *cough* but I agree, Jason; this is very impressive. I'm sure, before long as well, that it will have some type of cellular service integrated into it making it a mobile phone device. That's the way everything seems to be progressing. Imagine being able to type on this device and conference call at the same time. The camera being there too; you could possibly have a video conference call... amazing. If I didn't love Pocket PC's so much this may have been my calling.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:37 PM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb
Whats innovative about that form factor..Psion did it years ago! And with a better keyboard (from what you can see in the photo)
You can twist it around and use it in tablet mode like the other Sonys. I don't remember that feature with the Psion.

There are also a number of expansion packs that clip to the bottom of the new Clie. (Ipaq sledders should love that!)

Old 07-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

According to the original Brighthand article, it's 16MB, not 64MB. If it had a built-in phone like my i700, I'd think twice. Otherwise, it's just a nice looking toy.

Upper-left of the keyboard shows a camera, much like the NX and NZ series. Hope the quality of the camera is good, and flash like on the NZ would have been helpful.

But the neat things that Sony crams in make every device of theirs worthwhile, from the jog/scroll button, to the twisting display, to what appears to be a keyring on the corner. It kinda looks like my old Sony mini-notebook I used to have. I miss that little device. :cry:

Old 07-17-2003, 03:55 PM
MultiMatt
Intellectual
Default HP????

It was a while back, so I can't recall where I found it, but on my hard drive, I have a Flash demo of a "Top-Secret" HP device.

Folding device, with keyboard and built-in wireless...

Anyway, I wonder if they are continuing with progress on a device like this...?!

Matt

Old 07-17-2003, 03:58 PM
limit
Ponderer

SONY really makes the palm OS shine. sure wish pocketpc would come up with more inovative devices...

Old 07-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Yes... looks very nice but is it?

1) Memory Stick still!
2) Crippled Memeory Stick capability at that!
3) 3.2" screen? No matter how finely detailed the text/resolution etc. that is a dumb step backwards for Sony.
4) That keyboard! C'mon - a separate Stowaway or built-in thumbboard maybe, but this is just an awkward compromise!

Is it just me or do the 'twist' Clies miss the point of a PDA? In what way do any of the 'innovative' features of these Clies make for an improved user experience? These are just expensive toys...