Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default "We Just Make 'Em, We Don't Use 'Em..."

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t2...=zdnetukhompage

The next time I look the word "irony" up in the dictionary, I expect to see this recent ZDNet news story listed as a great example:

"Korean IT giants like Samsung and LG Electronics may be fiercely promoting camera-equipped phones to consumers, but are wary about allowing their use inside company grounds. To protect against industrial espionage and intellectual property theft, Samsung and LG Electronics have both barred employees from using camera phones on their research and manufacturing facilities."

Of course, on the surface, this seems to make sense; allowing employees to walk around with camera phones could pose a security risk. On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that a few bucks and a trip to Radio Shack can get me espionage tools that would be much more difficult to detect than a hand-sized camera phone.

Or, could it be that this is at least partially a PR ploy? Is Samsung trying to send the message that their camera phones are so cool that they practically give their owners "double-O" status and a British accent?

Old 07-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Daimaou
Ponderer
Default Re: "We Just Make 'Em, We Don't Use 'Em..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Samsung and LG Electronics have both barred employees from using camera phones on their research and manufacturing facilities
Except the one they make them...

Old 07-09-2003, 10:22 AM
bjornkeizers
Sage

I heard this too, and they do have a point. I can see where these camera equipped phones cause a security risk. You could, in theory, take pictures of prototypes, documents, etc.

However, banning these phones won't stop industrial espionage. They already make cameras the size of a credit card, and I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could always find a way.. hacking the network, blackmail, maybe planting someone with a photographic memory in your rival's offices..

Old 07-09-2003, 10:50 AM
fireflyrsmr
Ponderer

they did this at General Motors about 6 months ago. I think it's just an attempt to send a message to the typical visitor and employee. In the auto industry they've seen it all in terms of spy stuff. I use to think that those pic's you see in the press were really released by the companies but all indications from the inside are that each of those is some breach of security - at least at gm.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:10 PM
dh
Mystic

I do a lot of work with the pharmaceutical companies and cameras have always been banned.

Quite often everyone's bag is searched before being allowed in, just to make sure.

A phone or PPC with a camera is therefore not much use to me, I'd have to check it at the gatehouse everywhere I go.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:21 PM
aroma
Thinker
Default Re: "We Just Make 'Em, We Don't Use 'Em..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Of course, on the surface, this seems to make sense; allowing employees to walk around with camera phones could pose a security risk. On the other hand, I'd be willing to bet that a few bucks and a trip to Radio Shack can get me espionage tools that would be much more difficult to detect than a hand-sized camera phone.
First, I would think that they've always had a ban on cameras in some of their facilities, so this is probably just an extension of that (just blown out of proportion by the media), and second, granted this wouldn't stop the person who is intentionally out to perform harm, it would keep the average Joe worker from whipping out his phone and snapping a picture of the latest prototype and zipping it off to his buddy Steve and then having that leaked on the net.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:26 PM
lurch
Thinker

Where I work there can't be any "unapproved" cameras... one guy had one of those wristwatch cameras (it was kinda cool) but had to leave it at home when they found out it was a camera.

But I can understand not having phone cameras -- the photos can be transmitted instantly can't they? And why do people NEED a cell phone anyway? Aren't they typically at or near a desk with a phone They can just put call forwarding on during the day..
I guess not everybody has a desk-type job though....

Old 07-09-2003, 04:25 PM
JMountford
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to JMountford Send a message via AIM to JMountford Send a message via MSN to JMountford Send a message via Yahoo to JMountford

Brad your post and it's content look somewhat familiar.... :wink: 8O

Old 07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
DarkHelmet
Ponderer
Default Where I work...

Well, what's good for the consumer is good for the telecomm companies...If you work at a Department of Defense facility in the US - your camera phone is subject to immediate confiscation and destruction. Employees at my facility have already been warned.

Old 07-09-2003, 05:47 PM
T-Will
Sage

What's "double-O" status?