Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Time To Get A New Keyboard

I just got an email from ThinkOutside that they have no plans to produce another adapter for the original iPAQ Stowaway Keyboard to work with the new iPAQ 2200 series. In late 2001, they made an adapter that would convert the smaller 3100/3600 connector to the larger 3800 connector that also works well with the 3900 and 5000 series devices. However, that adapter was curved to fit the base of the 3800+ devices and the 2200 is almost flat. So while the connector itself is identical, it won't go in all of the way.

So that makes the 2215 a $500 Pocket PC for me. $400 for the iPAQ and $100 for the new XT, whenever it is finally released. It is really a shame. I'd happily give up another $10 for a new adapter. My current keyboard is in perfect shape and I really don't want to switch, however, I cannot do without a full size keyboard for long. I guess I'll have to do the eBay route and recoup some of my costs. :grumble:

Old 07-04-2003, 07:21 PM
thadrool
Pupil
Default Re: Time To Get A New Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I just got an email from ThinkOutside that they have no plans to produce another adapter for the original iPAQ Stowaway Keyboard to work with the new iPAQ 2200 series. In late 2001, they made an adapter that would convert the smaller 3100/3600 connector to the larger 3800 connector that also works well with the 3900 and 5000 series devices. However, that adapter was curved to fit the base of the 3800+ devices and the 2200 is almost flat. So while the connector itself is identical, it won't go in all of the way.

So that makes the 2215 a $500 Pocket PC for me. $400 for the iPAQ and $100 for the new XT, whenever it is finally released. It is really a shame. I'd happily give up another $10 for a new adapter. My current keyboard is in perfect shape and I really don't want to switch, however, I cannot do without a full size keyboard for long. I guess I'll have to do the eBay route and recoup some of my costs. :grumble:
Excuse me for my ignorance, but you're implying that the "new XT" will be specifically designed for the 2215? So, we 2215 owners won't be completely left out in the cold?

Old 07-04-2003, 07:24 PM
CESkins
Theorist

The difficulty with migrating the peripherals that one buys for a PDA like keyboards to a new device is the reason why I just bought an IR keyboard. All the company has to do is update the driver(s) and the keyboard should work with any future PDA. I eagerly await a Bluetooth keyboard for much the same reasons. MS needs to make all the manufacturers standardize on a particular adapter (say USB2). If I buy a new computer, I don't have to run out and buy a new keyboard...why should my PDA be any different. This changing the port at the bottom is simply another way to keep people shelling out their hard earned money.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:40 PM
sponge
Philosopher

You said it, that's why they won't standarize. It's been the subject of many rants and articles in the past. Essentially, there's not much you can do besides bend over and take it.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Time To Get A New Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadrool
Excuse me for my ignorance, but you're implying that the "new XT" will be specifically designed for the 2215? So, we 2215 owners won't be completely left out in the cold?
Not specifically designed, but 100% compatible. I have one and it works GREAT.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:43 PM
beyondallcom
Pupil

I'm pretty sure you can all just email TO to send you the adapters and shout out to GM to make a mod the curvy portions if I remember correctly when I opened mine up was just empty, the part that contains the wiring is really small.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:48 PM
David C
Intellectual

That is why someone need to come out with a folding bluetooth keyboard. It would make everyone's life so much easier.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I read a rumour somewhere saying that if you filed down the corners of the adaptor, it would fit. It's not a pin incompatability, it's a physical problem because the bottom of previous iPAQs were rounded and the 2215 is flat.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Gator5000e
Intellectual

Well at least you iPAQ owners harve hope. I have been hoping for a Stowaway for my Axim. Doesn't look promising . The Dell keyboard is too small for me.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Christian
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I read a rumour somewhere saying that if you filed down the corners of the adaptor, it would fit. It's not a pin incompatability, it's a physical problem because the bottom of previous iPAQs were rounded and the 2215 is flat.
Just a couple of days ago, I ordered what claimed to be a Stowaway XT for iPaq (model number 90189). Does this mean the keyboard won't be compatible with the 221x? (It is still in the mail as we speak).