Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 07-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default More Upcoming Microdrives

http://storage.ziffdavis.com/articl...,1141624,00.asp

Hitachi is not the only one readying higher-capacity Microdrives this year -- a company by the name of Colby Systems is joining the fun.

"The storage requirements of digital cameras keep climbing, and while storage vendors have driven capacities for desktop hard disks--the destination for downloaded images--they've been a bit more leisurely where it comes to the removable media for cameras. However, a storage industry outsider this week will offer a micro-sized hard drive holding 2.4GB, double the current capacity leader. Colby Systems Corp., a longtime vendor of custom hardware solutions for vertical markets, said it will announce its MD 2.4 drive this week. The company had not finalized pricing, the list price will be about $279."

This kind of competition is good, because I got the distinct feeling that Hitachi was sitting on their laurels about releasing a new Microdrive. In any case, IMHO, both companies have to move, because flash is right on their tail.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:09 PM
msprague
Thinker

What would be impressive is if this was a Type I card.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprague
What would be impressive is if this was a Type I card.
8O I just don't see them sticking a metal platter and a read head into something that insanely thin.

--janak

Old 07-02-2003, 10:09 PM
beq
Oracle

What a coincidence, John C. Dvorak's latest PC Mag rant column praised yet another 1" drive maker newcomer who's supposedly the one to watch by everyone in the industry ($75 pricing). I don't think his rant column is posted on their website (though his general column is), so I don't know how to link/re-post it...

P.S. I'd love to see one of the PPCT'er grumpmeisters square off w/ one of the old-timers like Dvorak hee :mrgreen:

Old 07-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitequator
What a coincidence, John C. Dvorak's latest PC Mag rant column praised yet another 1" drive maker newcomer who's supposedly the one to watch by everyone in the industry ($75 pricing).
Yeah, we covered Cornice's unit some time ago... it's more for integration than this CF-based device, and it's only 1GB.

--janak

Old 07-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I wonder when (or if) we'll see handhelds with built-in microdrives. Flash memory is a slow and limited expansion technology. I'm no fan of moving parts inside a portable device, mind you, but we desperately need more internal storage on PDAs.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:40 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

I could see it if it was user replacable. So basically just bundle a CF microdrive with a PDA but be sure to have either two CF slots or a SD slot.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:47 PM
beq
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Yeah, we covered Cornice's unit some time ago... it's more for integration than this CF-based device, and it's only 1GB.
Oh yeah, now it's coming back So I guess the Cornice architecture makes it impossible to fit in a self-contained CF card? Still, $75 for 1.5GB is not bad at all...

Old 07-03-2003, 12:33 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
I wonder when (or if) we'll see handhelds with built-in microdrives. Flash memory is a slow and limited expansion technology. I'm no fan of moving parts inside a portable device, mind you, but we desperately need more internal storage on PDAs.
I remember when I expanded my personal computer to 16k of memory. When oh when did we get to the point where multiple gigabytes of storage are needed in our handhelds? I love technology!

Old 07-03-2003, 01:44 AM
gorkon280
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
I remember when I expanded my personal computer to 16k of memory. When oh when did we get to the point where multiple gigabytes of storage are needed in our handhelds? I love technology!
Really! I remember when my machine only had 64K. I remember wanting a 1 GB IBM Microdrive, but I don't what that anymore....CF's are getting closer to the prices of microdrives.

On the otherhand, that was your 1000th post Jonno! Heh heh! Congrats!