Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 PM
goirish!!
Intellectual
Default off PPC topic - need web hosting info

I am about to start a small business and want to create a web site. I have "free" hosting with Charter Communications but it will not accept .php so I can not use Front Page or DreamWeaver. I am fairly literate with most programs, from a users standpoint, but Web site Creation is out of my league. This is the reason I want to use FrontPage. I've been "banging" around in it and it seems fairly simple.

On to my question: Who, Where can I get INEXPENSIVE Web Hosting for my site?? No banners, no pop ups, nothing major in space requirements. I only need to have about four to six pages with pics.

Again since I am a start up business every dollar counts and traffic will be low for my site so I can't afford to tie a lot of monies up in this part of the business.

Please advise and let me know of potential pitfalls to lookout for.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Old 07-02-2003, 02:47 PM
jeremyweisser
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to jeremyweisser

Just because they do not accept php does not mean you cannot use frontpage. I have used frontpage for many sites that only accept straight html pages.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:02 PM
gcherian
Ponderer

i have found dixiesys to be very good in uptimes, support and cost. I think they do the cheaper version as another site.... but yes they on the whole is good for me for the past year and half.....

--just an opinion of a satisfied customer. :-)

Old 07-02-2003, 03:21 PM
davidspalding
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to davidspalding

Front Page server extensions have little to do with PHP support. though ... if you want to explore using PHP and MySQL, you should look for a host which supports those. I should think that most sites will offer Front Page access, and Dreamweaver ... I thought ... was done via FTP, but that was a couple of versions ago. Allaire Homesite had the same or similar feature. <:}

Try www.siteturn.com. A friend has his domain on there, and for a pretty good price. Look at their "full service hosting" option.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:35 PM
msprague
Thinker

I can hook you up for $50/year with your own domain name and web hosting. See here groupservers.com It supports php and you would have a control panel to add email addresses, etc.
Yes, my normal price is $65/yr, but I'll give a break to Pocket PC Thoughts readers. Behind the scenes for me is AffordableHost.com, so you may want to check them out.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:50 PM
goirish!!
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyweisser
Just because they do not accept php does not mean you cannot use frontpage. I have used frontpage for many sites that only accept straight html pages.
I appreciate the info but this does not help me unless I know how to make it work. When in FrontPage how do you convert the info to be accepted in to FTP?

I was simply using the upload feature which will not convert the page to anything other than .php (at least as far as I can tell)

Old 07-02-2003, 04:01 PM
msprague
Thinker

Wow, what version are you using? I did not know that FrontPage supports any form of PHP. My Frontpage 2002 doesn't even know what a php file is. Frontpage does allow you to publish a web to servers that do not have Frontpage extensions. You should be able to publish a web consisting of basic html files to any webserver that has ftp access using Frontpage.

Old 07-02-2003, 04:06 PM
goirish!!
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Front Page server extensions have little to do with PHP support. though ... if you want to explore using PHP and MySQL, you should look for a host which supports those. I should think that most sites will offer Front Page access, and Dreamweaver ... I thought ... was done via FTP, but that was a couple of versions ago. Allaire Homesite had the same or similar feature. &lt;:}
When trying to upload my page I get an error saying that the host does not accept .php (FrontPage extensions). I guess this is what I was basing my info on. I called "tech support" who could only tell me that Charter could not accept .php and several others. They apparently only take FTP formats.

Please overlook my lack of knowledge about these things. I am in a major learning curve right now. I figure that if I can teach myself advanced Excel, all of the office suites, XP, Win2000, WinNT, I can get through this but I'm hitting some road blocks.

"Books are for sissies" :crazyeyes:

Old 07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
goirish!!
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprague
Wow, what version are you using? I did not know that FrontPage supports any form of PHP. My Frontpage 2002 doesn't even know what a php file is. Frontpage does allow you to publish a web to servers that do not have Frontpage extensions. You should be able to publish a web consisting of basic html files to any webserver that has ftp access using Frontpage.
Dear God they're coming faster than I can explain.....

I prob should have put the full quote from my ISP "Charter does not support .php, .asp, or .ctibin" (I couldn't find my notes earlier ops: )

With that said, I'm using 02 and trying to simply up load the page from my computer to the host. I have everything configured correctly in FrontPage (the host address, name, password, etc) But the error is that they do not support FonrtPage or something to that effect.

I would appreciate pointers on how to set up the site in FrontPage and simply upload it to the host.

Old 07-02-2003, 04:16 PM
msprague
Thinker

We should be able to get your current setup to work.

What version of Frontpage are you using?
Are all of your files in your frontpage web (except pictures) .htm files?
Are you specifying the server to publish to with the http:// or the ftp:// prefix?