Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Conduits Releases Pocket Player

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...productId=79548

"Pocket Player is a rockin' way to enjoy music on your Pocket PC. Through multiple media and playlist formats, and an intuitive interface, Pocket Player means less taps, more music! What Makes Pocket Player different?:

� Full MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, WAV support
� Skinnable (Pocket Player skins, WSZ skins)
� Skin hue adjustment: change skin colors
� Visualization and plugin support
� Pocket PC Notification Icon
� HTTP, Windows Network, Shoutcast, Icecast streaming
� ID3 v1/v1.1/v2 reading; scans playlist in background
� Gapless, crossfading, and Microdrive support
� 10-band Equalizer and Preamp, with presets
� "Local Content" playlist auto-detects all tracks on device
� Playlist manager keeps track of all playlists on device
� User-managed Bookmarks support; jump to a file and time
� For Audio books, "Seek to last position"
� Pocket PC 2000 (ARM only), Pocket PC 2002, and Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC support
� Hardware button mapping
� Automatic screen shutoff"

You can download a fully-functional 30 day trial version. Conduits is offering a 25% off sale price of $14.95 until the end of July, after which it will cost $19.95. The full features can be found on the Conduits site.

I've played around with Pocket Player a little, and it's excellent - light years ahead of WMP when it comes to audio. And unlike a few of the other audio players on the market, this EQ actually works properly! :mrgreen: Way to go Conduits! [Affiliate]

Old 07-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Snobosh
Pupil

Is it true the equalizer only works with mp3 and ogg -- not with wma?

Old 07-01-2003, 10:44 PM
JeffreyCentex
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to JeffreyCentex

This doesn't seem to work on my Ipaq 2215 (10 soft resets later)...

I tried playing straight MP3 and some WMP 8 encoded files with no luck..

Old 07-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Tamungage
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to Tamungage

Working on my Ipaq 2215, well most of it. I can't seem to get the spectrum analyzer to work. No big deal.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Stake
Intellectual
Default Weird

Tried it out but I had issues with the quality of the playback. It sounds like it's rapidy studdering/echo when I play music with heavy beats. It's kinda hard to describe. The player also just stops randomly after a few seconds of play on some songs. I'm running it on a Toshiba Genio e550G with a 1GB MicroDrive. My main mp3 player, WithMP3, has no problems playing either.

The song I tried it on that was clearly noticable was "Maxwell - Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)"

I also tried it on Diana Krall song and it's not as noticable though you will notice it in a few instances.

Hope this is fixable. Maybe I'm the only one with the problem.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:28 PM
sjmcloughlin
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to sjmcloughlin Send a message via AIM to sjmcloughlin
Default Does it play live internet streaming radio?

Please may I ask a stupid question, does this indeed play live internet streaming radio such as WOR710.com (New York Classical Radio Station) which asks to be played in Windows Media Player? Thank you.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:43 PM
heov
Thinker

how does this compare to Pocket Music?

Pocket Music seems to have everything this does.

I'm assuming if the EQ doesn't work w/ WMA, they probably "cheat" (for lack of a better word) by just making a HTML file w/ the song encoded in it using the WMP IE Control...

Old 07-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

According to the text on the website, it says that the visualization only works for MP3 and OGG. I wonder why no one can seem to do WMAs. My friend has PocketMusic and he says the WinAMP-like spectrum analyzer doesn't do anything useful for WMA either.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Jason Patterson
Intellectual

Thank you to everyone for the great comments and feedback so far! To answer some questions:

snobosh: you are correct, the equalizer works with MP3 and Ogg only at this time. We could not achieve a high-enough quality WMA equalizer in time for 2.0, so it's back on the drawing board for 2.1/etc.

JeffreyCentex: what exactly happened on your 2215 device? All Pocket PC 2003 systems here worked fine -- just run it, and it should come up with all your local content; tapping play starts it up, etc. What happens when you play your MP3/WMA files?

Tamungage: as with the equalizer, the spectrum analyzer is only for MP3/Ogg. Were you wanting it with WMA? It should work on all other file types -- just tap the small visualization area - it toggles between oscilloscope, spectrum, and 'off'.

Stake: have you tried increasing your audio output buffer? On the microdrive, you defininely need a 2+ second buffer, as the seek times can disrupt playback. Or, is it not a "real" stuttering, and basically the audio breaking down on heavy bass beats? Are you using an eq at the time? Maybe turn down the preamp? Try using the built-in large oscilloscope visualizations -- is it clipping a lot?

sjmcloughlin: Pocket Player supports any internet streaming radio streams in MP3 and Ogg formats -- essentially any Shoutcast or Icecast streams. It looks like WOR710.com uses RealPlayer to stream their content, so that wouldn't be supported. But, if it is MP3, you can certainly stream that. Pocket Player also supports Shoutcast metadata -- in other words, updating the song title during the stream playback.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:50 AM
pepemosca
Theorist

I have a iPAQ h5450, and the button mapping works terrible.. it kills my iTask even after i EXIT the player. I have to do a Soft Reset to have my iTask working again.

Is like the button mapping still ON after the player is OFF.

Also, the Screen Toggle doesn't work when the player is Minimized. And the screen turns on even by pressing the "Volume Button" (the side buttons)

I like the thing that the screens turns off automatically after an amount of time... but it turns on by pressing every key. I like the feature of Pocket Music that "Locks" every button excepts the Volume buttons (side buttons), Power Button and Screen Toggle button.