Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Toshiba Announces Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade Policy

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...wsID=3233524525

Bad news, e330 and e740 owners: it looks like Toshiba may not be offering an upgrade.

The attached press release spells out the upgrade policy: "Toshiba Pocket PC e750/e755 Series customers can take advantage of the benefits of Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 software for Pocket PCs via a technology upgrade program**. Users who purchased a Pocket PC e750/755 Series device from May 23, 2003 - Sept 23, 2003 are eligible to upgrade to the new operating system for free plus $15.99 for shipping and handling. Customers who purchased the Pocket PC e750/e755 Series with the Pocket PC 2002 operating system before May 23, 2003 will be able to upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 for $50.00 (shipping and handling included)**. Full program details can be found by visiting www.shoptoshiba.com.

**Note: For Toshiba Pocket PC e750/e755 only. Not compatible with other Pocket PC 2002 models."

While the wording doesn't specifically exclude any future upgrades for the older Pocket PC 2002 units, there appears to be no announced upgrade program. If anyone has more information, let us know!

Old 06-23-2003, 11:13 PM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

There's a lot of discussion at Brighthand about this and we're getting very mixed signals from Toshiba. They're going to have a lot of very angry customers if they do this to us...non-repeat customers at that.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:14 PM
wu-wei
Neophyte

As I stated over on Brighthand, the following is a redacted copy of the "inquiry" I sent to Toshiba via their online system:

June 23, 2003

Greetings:

Today, as you know, is the official launch date for the newest portable operating system from Microsoft - Windows Mobile 2003. Unlike other hardware platforms where an end-user is able to perform an upgrade on their own initiative, the Pocket PC devices require hardware manufacturers to prepare a new "ROM" image that is specific to a particular hardware configuration. This, of course, is the case with your e740 model.

I purchased your e740 model in January, 2003 for $500 US. I am learning today that I have no upgrade path available to me, despite the fact that your hardware is compatible with and capable of running this updated operating system and despite the fact that I made a significant investment in your products less than six months ago.

Ironically, the very reasons that I bought your hardware (Xscale processor and integrated 802.11b wireless network adapter) are precisely the hardware components for which this new operating system was designed.

Your decision to ignore e740 users by choosing not to provide an upgrade path for our hardware is deplorable. In essence, your company is telling early adopters of your hardware platforms to re-invest in a company that has demonstrated an unwillingness to provide industry-standard support, at the same or similar price as their initial investment. Somehow, your company has determined that end-users are possessed of sufficient funds to continue purchasing hardware that will be obsolete - with absolutely no option for upgrade - within one year.

Your decision to hold your company out as an innovative market leader by incorporating the latest technologies in your devices is meaningless in light of your later decisions not to provide end-users with the means for exploiting that same "leading edge" technology.

In light of your decision not to offer an upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 for the e740 device, I will not purchase another Toshiba product in the future. I will also advise all of my family members and my close friends in the XXXX legal community to avoid your hardware on this same basis.

Regards,

XXXX

Old 06-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierran
There's a lot of discussion at Brighthand about this and we're getting very mixed signals from Toshiba. They're going to have a lot of very angry customers if they do this to us...non-repeat customers at that.
I can totally sympathize. Re the mixed signals: that's why I left the end of the post open-ended. Let us know if you hear anything to the contrary!

wu-wei: nicely written, and polite. I hope Toshiba realizes the implications of what they're (not) doing.

--janak

Old 06-23-2003, 11:16 PM
jkabaseball
Ponderer

740 owners, its sad sad day :cry: i'd love to see someone hack it and get the 750 version on it. I know it can be done. so all you programmers out there start your emulators, and let the coding begin!! or you can start the petition or what ever. but where is the fun in that,

Old 06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
sgyee
Ponderer

You might have some problems with the ROM. Compal manufacturers the E750, Accelent makes the E740. There may be different structures between manufacturers.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:26 PM
jkabaseball
Ponderer

yes the rom would be the problem, but its almost the same hardware, can't you just tell it, it is a 750 not 740 and upgrade it

Old 06-23-2003, 11:30 PM
cam87513
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to cam87513 Send a message via MSN to cam87513

Personally I've sent an email and talked in a web chat to the Toshiba PDA guys. It's important to be polite when talking to them, but I think if we make enough noise, we can make Toshiba give us an upgrade.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Enderet
Thinker

Hehehe Im glad I sold my Toshiba e335 when I had the chance and made some profit off of it w00t! ops:

Old 06-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkabaseball
yes the rom would be the problem, but its almost the same hardware, can't you just tell it, it is a 750 not 740 and upgrade it
Externally, it may appear to be the same hardware, but internally, it's completely different. I hate to say this, but given my experience, hacking the 750 ROM is an utter non-option. Even Toshiba wouldn't do such a thing. They would theoretically use the special Pocket PC image building tools, plug in the e740 drivers, and churn out a custom ROM for the e740.

--janak