Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft's Derek Brown Speaks on Pocket PC 2003

Below is an excerpt of a recent message from Derek Brown, Director of Marketing Communications in the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft. He has an interesting perspective about Microsoft's mobile device strategy and shares some of his favorite updates with the latest version of Windows Mobile software for Pocket PCs that I thought was worth sharing with you.

"We put a tremendous amount of work into this release and focused explicitly on building for the future. As any of you who have spent time discussing it with me know, development is a game of finite time and people. In any given release with a deadline you have X number of persons and X days to develop and test. Period. You make cuts, you make hard decisions and you postpone features or improvements to the next version. This is how it works. Over the past 18 months or so, two of our primary goals were to: first, unify as much of the code-base for our software for Pocket PC and Smartphone as possible; and second, get on schedule to ship as much of that code as possible on the most current version of Windows CE.Net.

Accomplishing these two tasks was a huge undertaking, involving not just a lot of code re-work, but also structuring our development team so that most of our efforts would accrue to both form factors. Today, we have a platform optimized for *the future* - both in terms of technology and resources. We're in this game for the long, long term - forever.

In the latest release, I think there is incredible value in the latest release: For instance, we�ve improved the wireless experience with this release by making it easier to connect to Wi-Fi networks. From a phone perspective, we�ve implemented smart, persistent 2.5G data connections, GSM Suspend/Resume and CDMA Dormant modes. We�ve updated the phone usability features, such as including a Mute button and adding separate phone and device volume controls. There are also enhanced messaging and multi-media features, like the New Pictures application that allows you to manage and view photos.

We�ve also improved functionality for our developers, by improving the performance and stability of the OS through Windows CE.NET and increasing productivity and application quality by integrating the .NET Compact Framework into the OS.

This a great upgrade for existing customers and will power some fantastic new Pocket PCs. In addition we�ve taken a big step forward with the long-term success of our platform. I�m happy with what we�ve done on both counts."

Old 06-23-2003, 05:37 AM
darrylb
Thinker
Default Re: Microsoft's Derek Brown Speaks on Pocket PC 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
We�ve also improved functionality for our developers, by improving the performance and stability of the OS through Windows CE.NET and increasing productivity and application quality by integrating the .NET Compact Framework into the OS.
Well, that answers one question at least!! Way to go! 8)

Enderet
Thinker

8O Jason cmon give us the good stuff

Gremmie
Philosopher

Quote:
From a phone perspective, we�ve implemented smart, persistent 2.5G data connections, GSM Suspend/Resume and CDMA Dormant modes.
Hoorah, does that mean consistent AIM?

Old 06-23-2003, 05:40 AM
nightmare
Pupil

He says PPC and Smartphone is in it for the long run, but does he mean it? I mean, looking at Windows XP, Tablet PC, Pocket PC, and Smartphone, PPC has little room to expand. Too much swaying one way and it cuts into Tablet PC (a dead end market), and too much swaying the other way and it cuts into Smartphone's market. I would think Microsoft would like to see Smartphone and Tablet PC to succeed more than PPC because Nokia has a huge breadbasket of phones that Microsoft would love, and Tablet PC brings in a huge amount per device for an XP license.

How sure are we PPC won't get bumped off come two years?

Old 06-23-2003, 05:41 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hoorah, does that mean consistent AIM?
Yes. I haven't been able to test this out myself yet, but from what I know, it means that your device will "go to sleep" (ie: screen off, etc.) but you will not lose your data connection.

THIS IS HUGE! Now you can connect and get your email without your device even turning on (again, based on my understanding).

Old 06-23-2003, 05:43 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare
How sure are we PPC won't get bumped off come two years?
I really think that Pocket PC fits into its own market for Microsoft. It fills the void between Tablet and Smartphone for a mobile product. Plus, as long as Palm is around, Microsoft will likely want to compete in the market. Their different approach to the platform is widely supported and many users like the idea of using Windows on all their devices.

Old 06-23-2003, 05:43 AM
dh
Mystic

It's looking good for new wireless devices. MS seem to have put a lot of effort into this area.

So far though the only new wireless feature I've noticed is the BT in the 2215.

I think I might have to look for a deal on an unlocked BT phone before long.

Old 06-23-2003, 05:45 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Below is an excerpt of a recent message from Derek Brown, Director of Marketing Communications in the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft.

"In any given release with a deadline you have X number of persons and X days to develop and test. Period. You make cuts, you make hard decisions and you postpone features or improvements to the next version. This is how it works."
People need to take this into consideration more often imo. They just expect far too much from every other mortal being. 18 months is only 18 months and I don't think too many people would be happy if Microsoft was suddenly shutdown as a result of running a sweatshop somewhere.

Old 06-23-2003, 05:46 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Quote:
THIS IS HUGE! Now you can connect and get your email without your device even turning on (again, based on my understanding).
Agreed. I see a lot of newbie's on here asking about keeping data connections open; then again, which wireless aspect does not have a huge upgrade, 802, BT, cell.