Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Finally! My Computers Are As Reliable As My Cell Phone

The problem is, my computers haven't gotten any more reliable. My cell phone, in getting all smart and cool, has learned some PC tricks. This isn't to say my PC or Pocket PC isn't reliable. Since switching to Windows NT 4 Workstation in 1996, moving to Windows 2000 Professional in 2000 and then Windows XP Professional in 2001, I experience very few system crashes. Maybe 5 since 1996, three of which were after installing HP printer drivers. :? I have been pleased with the stability of my Pocket PCs too, though they aren't up to NT standards yet.

Today, I am driving home and decide to check email with my iPAQ 3970 via bluetooth to my Nokia 3650. After downloading 6 of 16 messages the session dies. I wait a few minutes until I am sure I am in a better cell and reconnect. A minute later I look over to make sure I am online and the VPN hooked up.

I glanced at my cell phone screen and it says "Nokia." My phone's screen saver is the clock, not their logo. It dawns on me my phone has spontaneously rebooted! How PC-like of it. My T68i wasn't any better. More than once I had to remove its battery when it locked up. For the record, my 3650 is bone stock - nothing has been installed on it.

So, after years of wishing my computers were as stable as a phone, I finally have my wish... I guess.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:09 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Motorola is the same way

My Motorola designed/built Nextel iDen based phone needs to be shut off periodically. It is all that Java junk they are shoving in them these days. My HP568 is more stable than my phone.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:17 AM
PetiteFlower
Magi

My phone reboots itself once in a while (LG 5350). Usually after I was using the wireless web and then not using it for a while; I think that's the only way it can disconnect itself.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I've heard it said more than once...Be careful what you wish for, you may get it

Old 06-14-2003, 01:02 AM
dma1965
Thinker
Default HA HA HA

Yeah, I too noticed that my T68m likes to act like a PC at times. I have experienced several crashes of my cell phone. Strangely enough, my old Nokia plain Jane cell phone has never even burped. All it does is receive phone calls and can do WAP, but nothing fancy and rock solid. I also have 2 iPaqs, one which is stock and one with loads of software on it, and my stock unit is no less likely to crash than my loaded unit. :mrgreen:

Old 06-14-2003, 02:57 AM
iPaqDude
Intellectual

I'm on my 4th SE T68 in 5 months:

1st T68i - periodically locked up and I had to drop the battery to get it back
2nd T68i - BlueTooth was sporadic - sometimes it would work, sometimes not - and occasionally it would drop the pairing....
3rd T68i - buzzing / humming sound that got progressively worse.

T-mobile has been good about replacing the phone each time, the last time with a T68m that has the new programming. But it has been a pain in the butt to have to go through doing it.... :evil:

Old 06-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Ramin
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Ramin
Default Re: Finally! My Computers Are As Reliable As My Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I glanced at my cell phone screen and it says "Nokia." My phone's screen saver is the clock, not their logo. It dawns on me my phone has spontaneously rebooted! How PC-like of it. My T68i wasn't any better. More than once I had to remove its battery when it locked up. For the record, my 3650 is bone stock - nothing has been installed on it.
Ed, what firmware version are you running on your Nokia 3650 and Sony Ericsson T68i? :?: I'm using a Sony Ericsson T68i (heavy user) with the current R7Axxx firmware and it works without a hitch... (There's also a newer R8Axxx firmware version that's just been released). OTOH, Windows XP even with the latest Service Pack & hotfixes etc. hasn't been behaving recently... :roll:

Old 06-14-2003, 04:27 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

My first 3 T68Ms were on ROMs Pathetic 3.3, Pathetic 3.6b-Lame and Pathetic 3.8-SuperLame. The T68i ran ROM ePathetic 2.9 and that was the final bit of torture I was forced to endure.

I have no clue what my 3650 has. WorksFine 1.8c I think.

Old 06-14-2003, 04:44 AM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default still

I have still never had anything as reliable as pen and paper. I still take most numbers on paper and transfer them into the pocket pc later it just seems easier.

Old 06-14-2003, 05:04 AM
beq
Oracle

^ But that's the most dangerous -- I've had paper cuts on all 10 fingers...