Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage
Default Pump Up the Volume - Or Scale it Back a Notch - Free Volume Control Utility

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...productId=76665

Someone named Warwick wrote in to tell us about a free utility he (or she?) developed for Pocket PC that lets you fine-tune the volume on your device. Warwick writes, "I got sick of the severely stepped volume controls and the boring square replacements. So I wrote VolumeCtrl; it's a cool looking rounded window with a 0 - 100 percent volume level. It uses the maximum steps the device can handle so you can fine tune your volume as best as your device will allow."

You can get VolumeCtrl here. Unzip it and copy the .exe to your Pocket PC. I suggest copying it to a place you'll be able to find it easily, such as your Start menu or Launcher (if you use one). I found it very speedy to use - much snappier than the built-in volume control, which tends to be sluggish. It's nice to have finer gradations of volume available; I tried it with Windows Media Player and was very impressed with the results.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:10 PM
thanos255
Intellectual

This little app sounds great...but when I put it on my pda and ran it...it SEEMED to screw up the touchscreen. Meaning when I touched one icon on the sceeen, it would actually start something else....very wierd.

I removed the little app and it fixed the problem...

Hope this is fixed sometime.

Thanks
Thanos

Old 06-12-2003, 08:34 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Hey Crystal,
Once again, I want to express how thankful I am about the freeware updates.

I do realize that freeware may compromise the profit potential that affiliate-linked software may have for Pocket PC Thoughts, but it would be great to get freeware whenever possible, and save the trialware for things that you just can't get in the freeware camp.
I think this can make everybody happy, but of course this is only my viewpoint.
Once again, thanks to Crystal and Pocket PC Thoughts for the sudden surge of freeware updates.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Warwick
Ponderer

I would like to hear more about your problem thanos255. Can you send me an email through the support link on the download page with some more details please.

it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Warwick.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Enderet
Thinker
Default Be Careful

NM

Old 06-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Enderet, this is scary if true. Thanks for the warning. I've had no problems with it on my machine so far though. Hopefully the name thing is just a weird coincidence.

R K, thanks for the mad props. However, I don't think there's a conspiracy to keep freeware off the site - Jason's just a busy guy, and doesn't have time to post everything that comes along. But he's the one who encouraged me to post on this one, so he deserves credit as well.

As someone who pays for all commercial software I own (as well as eBooks), I get really excited when good freeware comes along. So that's why I like to post on it. I think the best solutions for most PPC users are probably a combination of commercial and freeware apps.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
However, I don't think there's a conspiracy to keep freeware off the site - Jason's just a busy guy, and doesn't have time to post everything that comes along.
There's definitely NO conspiracy!! 8O The reality is that most freeware developers are very passive about their marketing efforts, and simply don't tell us about their applications. We don't have the time to go out and look for freeware applications (well, I don't) so we very much rely on our readers and developers to tell us about interesting software that they find.

If you find it, and we like the looks of it, we'll post on it! :mrgreen:

Old 06-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Enderet, that sounds like a bizarre coincidence. Do you have any links about this discussion? I've read Maledorito's posts and that doesn't sound like him.

--janak

Old 06-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Warwick
Ponderer

Thank you to PocketPCThoughts for taking the time to write a post about my program.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

Cheers,
Warwick.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Enderet
Thinker

:?