Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default True Multimedia Convergence?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/921628.as...0dm=C12MT&cp1=1

"The AV320 is one in a series of portable devices from Archos that just might revolutionize what entertainment you carry with you every day. The first model in the 300 series, the AV320 has a 2.5-inch, 20 GB hard drive inside. The device itself measures 4.4 by 3.2 by 1.2 inches and weighs 12.5 ounces. It�s a lot bigger than an iPod, or your favorite MP3 player, but once you know what�s inside you�ll understand why.

The AV320 has a backlit, 3.8-inch LCD screen, capable of handling 320 by 240 pixels. Inside, Lithium-ion batteries should give you four hours of on-screen video watching or 10 hours of listening to music (with the display turned off) before needing to be recharged by the AC adapter/brick that comes with the device."

Columnist Gary Krakow seems to really like this device! Check out the video on that page if you'd like to see the device in action.

It's funny - I've always been very interested in devices like this, yet I've never purchased one. This device comes much closer to what I'm looking for, but for me the software is just as important as the hardware. A device like this would only be useful to me if if were able to synchronize all my digital media in an intelligent manner. For instance, all my digital audio is in 192 to 256 Kbps VBR MP3 or WMA format - high quality, large files. I'd be happy enough with files in 96 or 128 Kbps WMA format. My video files wouldn't need to be in the 720 x 480 resolution - they should be transcoded to the screen size of the device. Ditto for photos - I don't want to carry a 2 MB image around with me.

I would want to connect the device, and have it monitor My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music, and sync over anything that was missing from the portable device. Does something like this exist? Point me at it, and I'll buy today. :mrgreen:

Old 06-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Joff
Ponderer

It looks really cool. Too bad that it doesn't double as a PDA. I like it but I also need a PDA to manage my PIM. And it seems that Archos has made their own OS to run this thing. What a shame, it probably won't have any games. OQO, where are you :?:

Old 06-12-2003, 11:53 PM
bcre8v2
Intellectual

I purchased the prior version of the Archos Multimedia Jukebox (MP3 & capable of displaying video) for my wife. She travels with it everywhere. It came with a 640x480/1.2 MP camera, built-in microphone, cable to connect to amp/stereo inputs or a TV. You can select either NTSC or PAL. It came with 2 adapters for SD or CF cards and can read files from these medium.
The bundled software is Musicmatch, Ulead, and an AVI to MPEG-2 converter (audio much be recorded in MP3).

I spent a little time converting 3700 songs (400 CDs) into MP3 and converting some video, but it is worth it. The jukebox is simply an amazing device - for half the price of a PocketPC.

My only criticism:
Creating playlists is tedious. If there was a way to remotely create playlists and upload them into the device, this would be awesome.

As a 20 GB portable HD, you can't go wrong. You can take your presentations/videos to any projector or TV with an input and you're golden. The PocketPC can't come close to this yet!. Margi go-presenter may be getting close...

<= Wishlist=>
devise a way to connect these devices to a PocketPC or make a PocketPC with a 20GB HD!

-Steve - I have way too many gadgets
"Convergence is always the way of the future"

Old 06-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Jacob
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcre8v2
My only criticism:
Creating playlists is tedious. If there was a way to remotely create playlists and upload them into the device, this would be awesome.
I had a previous version of the Archos jukebox and I could swear you could copy over WinAmp playlists and play them on the archos.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Cortex
Philosopher

i like the idea of a pocket pc with a high speed bluetooth hard drive much better

why pay for this thing when 100% of what it does can be done with a pocket pc. all we need is disk space.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:12 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K
Default Re: True Multimedia Convergence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
For instance, all my digital audio is in 192 to 256 Kbps VBR MP3 or WMA format - high quality, large files. I'd be happy enough with files in 96 or 128 Kbps WMA format. My video files wouldn't need to be in the 720 x 480 resolution - they should be transcoded to the screen size of the device. Ditto for photos - I don't want to carry a 2 MB image around with me.
Sometimes, there's an advantage to leaving the files with their original attributes. I've dealt with this a bit before with my Pocket PC. Having full-sized original images on the portable devices allows you to easily transfer the picture to someone else, knowing the the image is the full-quality original version.

This is only convenient if the portable device has an easy method for transfering files though. If the device has no SD or CF Card slot, and lacks any WiFi or Bluetooth, then having media that is good for portability is not needed.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Excalliber
Intellectual

Personally, the RCA Lyra looks much more intresting to me. It's less expensive, thinner at .98 inches thick (although about 1/2 an inch longer), and has a longer battery life (can you say 15 HOURS??? 8O ) It has a CF slot built in and it has a file explorer so you can flip around files w/o a computer. Here's an idea: all you do is get one cheap memory card and this, and you'd never need to buy super expensive cards that can be 3 times the price of the Lyra with about a fifth the space. How can anyone object to you saving money? :mrgreen:

It may have .3 inches less screen space, but it depends on more than that to decide if a screen is really better (and also, sharpness vs. size). The Archos doesn't have that battery life, you need to buy an extra addon to read any type of digital media (plus, CF to any other type of media converters are cheaper than the Archos' readers), and the design also just looks... cooler.

The Lyra is also alot cheaper, and they both have 20 Gig harddrives. and, you don't need an addon to record video (i know it comes with it, but it's another thing to lug around). And everyone knows that shape can make you think it's clunky or not, and I just love the design of the Lyra over the Archos... that's just me :wink:

Hmm... which would you pick?

and yes, i realise that this post sounds completely like an advertisment...

Old 06-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Cortex
Philosopher

this thing is probably the way to go....

HERE

HOPBIT is a personal mobile server that combines the wireless connectivity of Bluetooth with the storage capabilities of a large capacity hard disk drive. Small enough to slip into a pocket and light enough to carry everywhere, HOPBIT is a powerful personal tool that can transmit, receive and store large volume data sources--including images and music--communicate with digital networks, and provide a new dimension in portable memory for personal information equipment, such as PDA and PC.

YEAH BABY!

Old 06-13-2003, 01:18 AM
rapidnet_rick
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalliber
Personally, the RCA Lyra looks much more intresting to me. It's less expensive, thinner at .98 inches thick (although about 1/2 an inch longer), etc.....

and yes, i realise that this post sounds completely like an advertisment...
Ok, I'll nibble...so where can I read about it? I've just been to the RCA site, and could find nothing....

Old 06-13-2003, 01:30 AM
ToeCutter
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joff
It looks really cool. Too bad that it doesn't double as a PDA. I like it but I also need a PDA to manage my PIM. And it seems that Archos has made their own OS to run this thing. What a shame, it probably won't have any games. OQO, where are you :?:
I just took a peek at the interface and it looks suspiciously similar to my Sharp SL-5500. Perhaps the AV320 is running....*GASP*.....LINUX?

Imagine the possibilities if it using Linux as it's OS.

Can anyone comment on this?