Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 06-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Flash-Memory Bargains Bloom

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...n060503X,00.asp

"Want extra flash memory for your MP3 player, digital camera or PDA? You're in luck. Prices are dropping fast, thanks to heated competition between makers. And high-capacity products--holding up to 4GB--will soon debut. How much can you save? At the beginning of 2002, 256MB Secure Digital cards sold for roughly $200; forthcoming 512MB and 1GB SD cards (expected by this fall) will carry suggested retail prices of $170 and $330, says Gartner analyst Joe Unsworth."

Nothing but good news for consumers who want big memory cards! I wish that they'd keep producing smaller cards though and make the costs really low. I'd be interested in picking up a six pack of 16 MB cards that I could use like floppy disks and not really care if I lost them.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:38 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I'm holding out for the 1GB SD cards. With that much capacity, I can do whatever I want (movie, MP3, data) and not worry about it. Now that I got a USB 2.0 6 - 1 reader, moving data back and forth is a piece of cake.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 PM
garrans
Ponderer

Quote:
I'd be interested in picking up a six pack of 16 MB cards that I could use like floppy disks and not really care if I lost them
I suspect its not a matter of not wanting to do that, it's probably more along the lines of either:

a) Manufacturing Capacity requires they use the production lines on items in higher demand.

b) At the low end, the cost differential between 16MB & 32MB cards is so small it may only mean $5-$10 at the consumer (once everybody has put their markup in)

Steve.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Kiyoshi
Ponderer

When will SD cards catch up with the cheap CF format? I bought my 256MB SD card for $50, and I could get a 256MB CF card for $35 (But I use my CF slot for Wi-Fi most of the time). And I think it'd be cool to use cheap memory cards as next-gen floppy disks. Problem is, you wouldn't have enough room on the card to label it!

Old 06-06-2003, 10:01 PM
nobody
Ponderer

Quote:
Problem is, you wouldn't have enough room on the card to label it!
Why not use the system I used: . for "there is something important" and no dot for "there is nothing important"! :lol:

Old 06-07-2003, 12:01 AM
heov
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi
When will SD cards catch up with the cheap CF format? I bought my 256MB SD card for $50, and I could get a 256MB CF card for $35 (But I use my CF slot for Wi-Fi most of the time). And I think it'd be cool to use cheap memory cards as next-gen floppy disks. Problem is, you wouldn't have enough room on the card to label it!
SD cards will get cheaper, but probably never as cheap as CF. CF is an open standard, SD is not. SD is a lot like MS; the proprietors choose how much they want to charge to license it.

BTW, is memory stick still the leading flash memory format in the market, or did SD catchup?

Old 06-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Why not use the system I used: . for "there is something important" and no dot for "there is nothing important"! :lol:
Do you color-code your dots according to the type of important data? Or the degree to which it is important?

Old 06-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

I saw here a month or two ago that Dell was selling a six pack of 256 MB CF cards for $100 (or was it $150, whatever it was CHEAP)

I think we will soon see the 1.5 Gig 1 inch hard disk that Hitachi or someone is planning to sell for as little as $50. That would put all the Flash memory sellers on the market back into over capacity if they get one into a CF slot like the IBM ones. And of course, there is the IBM hd itself along with Toshiba's plans for 5-10 gig hds.

I was pretty sure last Christmas that by now someone would be shipping a PDA with 256 or more MB of flash right on the mother board. I still don't know why that hasn't happened. It must frustrate a lot of users to get a PDA home and find out that the music and video most PDAs promise today is not really practical until you fork out ANOTHER $50+ for a decent sized memory card. They seem cheap to us, but for someone buying his first PDA, say a $175 Axim, it is probably a significantly negative initial experience.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:57 AM
bkerrins
Intellectual

I'm looking for car stereos to support SD or CF cards. The thought of putting a CD in the stereo already seems arkane to me. I would much rather be able to slot 3 or 4 SD cards into my car stereo and have it play Gigs of MP3, share with friends in the car (no more carrying a condom in your wallet, just an SD card with your favorite MP3's on it).

Old 06-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov
BTW, is memory stick still the leading flash memory format in the market, or did SD catchup?
Last I heard, CF is #1, SD is #2, MS is #3. Where did you read that MS was #1? 8O