Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Pocket PC Voice Recorder

http://www.pocketdictation.com/

"A Pocket PC dictation program you can use with one hand and either hand at that! PDictA is geared for the professional for whom dictation is an every day process. RECORD, PAUSE, REWIND, PLAY actions form the repetitive �process flow� of dictation. All these operations can be done with the thumb of whichever hand holds the Pocket PC. PDictA is ideally suited for your dictation needs no matter what your profession for all manner of transcription and translation voice capture."

Old 06-04-2003, 06:38 PM
SofaTater
Intellectual

Interesting app -- but $30??? Seems kind of steep for an app of this nature...

Old 06-04-2003, 07:51 PM
nirav28
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to nirav28
Default What format?

Whats the audio format it stores the dictation as? Mp3, wav? low bit rate mp3 or ogg would be nice. The cpu can easily handle 10-56 kb/s compression. Wav files are way too big even if you have lot of flash storage.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:38 PM
mlougee
Neophyte

It would be important to know the quality of the recording, to guess (and experiment) whether the recording from this tool could serve as the *input* to something like Dragon Naturally Speaking's voice recognition.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:45 PM
nz0eBoy
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to nz0eBoy Send a message via Skype™ to nz0eBoy

Looking at the linked website it appears there are trial versions of the program. I am sure this will answer these questions.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:26 AM
topps
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlougee
It would be important to know the quality of the recording, to guess (and experiment) whether the recording from this tool could serve as the *input* to something like Dragon Naturally Speaking's voice recognition.
Yes, I would be interested to know this as well. I suspect that it will largely depend on

1. How well you use the microphone? (Breath noises, etc)
2. How much ambient noise there is?
3. What sound file format you choose (how compressed etc)

I saw that the latest Dragon Dictate is supposed to accept sound files from PDAs. (Did not read much detail about this)

Old 06-05-2003, 08:30 AM
topps
Intellectual

I have been trying ProTone from Pocco - very similar. They also just announced similar features such as Pause/Resume during recording (with true continuation, not a second sound file, like the standard app does.)

They have just added Insert, and Append to a sound file.

ProTone also features Voice Activated recording (I'm not sure if this app has Voice Activated recording - did not see it mentioned on the web site.)

Seems to work fairly well...sound quality being determined by the factors in my post above.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM
gkrucik
Neophyte
Default Re: What format?

The format for PDictA is standard .WAV -- the codec used to record the audio is GSM 6.10. With that codec when you record for 60 minutes, you will use up about 6MB of storage. The reason we chose that codec and the .WAV container was the universality for playback and the relatively high compression for voice quality audio that GSM provides. The GSM codec has been around for a long time and shipped with the original version of Windows and also works on Linux and MAC environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav28
Whats the audio format it stores the dictation as? Mp3, wav? low bit rate mp3 or ogg would be nice. The cpu can easily handle 10-56 kb/s compression. Wav files are way too big even if you have lot of flash storage.

Old 06-12-2003, 07:12 PM
gkrucik
Neophyte

The quality of the recording using the GSM 6.10 codec (which is what PDictA uses) would work for speech recognition purposes -- but your recognition rates would not be optimal. We have not yet released publicly a version for speech recognition purposes - as the resultant files would be several times larger. We are continuing to work on the trade-offs involved with this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlougee

Old 06-12-2003, 07:15 PM
gkrucik
Neophyte

Trial versions of PDictA are available. The only restriction in the Trial version is that the length of the recording is restricted to one minute. Purchasing the product removes that restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz0eBoy
Looking at the linked website it appears there are trial versions of the program. I am sure this will answer these questions.