Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Two New Loox Models Coming from Fujitsu-Siemens

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9680

"...by July 2003 there should be a new version with Wi-Fi connectivity built in. Better still it will feature the company's 'trans-reflective' screen technology. Designed initially for its Tablet style portable computers, this technique apparently permits much better viewing of the screen in bright sunlight. Working in co-operation with Siemens mobile phone division, Barker expects to have a second Loox with GPRS built-in available Q4 2003."

I was always quite disappointed that the Loox never hit the North American shores full-force. I hope these models are released with a bang over here!

Old 05-28-2003, 09:48 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Somewhat related .... according to PocketPCItalia... Loox owners will be able to upgrade to PPC 2k3 in September.Click
here to read more.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter
Default Re: Two New Loox Models Coming from Fujitsu-Siemens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
" ...Better still it will feature the company's 'trans-reflective' screen technology. Designed initially for its Tablet style portable computers, this technique apparently permits much better viewing of the screen in bright sunlight.
Uh oh. Here we go again. What does this mean? Is it a transflective screen..or just another fancy name for Reflective LCDs?

Old 05-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Hmm..I see a pattern here. A July product launch? That means June for PPC 2003, perhaps? :lurking:

Old 05-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

HEH I was seriously buzzed when I first heard about the Loox. Now *SHRUGS* Don't really care. I think they kinda blew it with the first Loxx and lost a lot of creditability with a lot of Pocket PC users who were interested in this device.
Maybe they can repair their PPC rep with this next generation but god only knows if they devices will even make it to North America :|
If they release it here great. If not I won't lose any sleep over it.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:59 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default typo or error?

A typo, an error, or a tech journalist who doesn't know better? The article quotes the PXA250 and not the 255 as the CPU. Yawn....

Old 05-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Kevin Daly
Theorist

I wonder if the integrated GPRS model (assuming it sees the light of day this time) will be Pocket PC Phone Edition? (2003 one assumes)

You'd think that was obvious, but you'd probably think wrong 0X

Old 05-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
What does this mean? Is it a transflective screen..or just another fancy name for Reflective LCDs?
Yes - it is a 'transflective' screen as is commonly understood (i.e. like the Axim, iPAQ 39xx etc.).

Quote:
A July product launch? That means June for PPC 2003, perhaps?
Apparently PPC2003 in new devices from July and upgrades available from late August (according to someone who attended a new product briefing recently).

Quote:
Maybe they can repair their PPC rep with this next generation but god only knows if they devices will even make it to North America
The thing is Jonathan, the Loox has been successful in Europe and Asia. From what I understand Fujitsu US made the judgement not to sell in N America because the market would have been difficult to make a profit from. Not saying I agree with them mind!

It is worth noting (something which was clarified for me today) that info on these two new Looxes comes from an expression of intent by FSC in their portfolio of upcoming devices. In other words - there is an intention to release devices with these new features but other details are not yet fixed (i.e. memory capacities, slots etc.).

Old 05-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Duncan
Pontificator
Default Re: typo or error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
A typo, an error, or a tech journalist who doesn't know better? The article quotes the PXA250 and not the 255 as the CPU. Yawn....
None of those. The terms trans-reflective and transflective are both contractions of transmissive/reflective and mean the same. They seem to have been used interchangeably. The processor quoted is irrelevant since specs are not 'fixed' yet!

Quote:
I wonder if the integrated GPRS model
There was never going to be an integrated GPRS model - simply a module that would attach to the back. I suspect that quite a few manufacturers who decided against PPCPE devices have changed their plans (as have, apparently, HP) since no-one wants to be left behind a new trend...

Old 05-28-2003, 10:53 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Re: typo or error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
None of those. The terms trans-reflective and transflective are both contractions of transmissive/reflective and mean the same. They seem to have been used interchangeably. The processor quoted is irrelevant since specs are not 'fixed' yet!
I was referring to the article quoting that the new Loox devices woudl have a PXA250 CPU - when the rest of the Pocket PC world is using the much better 255.