Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Pocket PCs Track Public Smoke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2932844.stm

This BBC News story describes Dublin researchers who are developing a Pocket PC-based tool for detecting and tracking the amount of smoke in public places like pubs and restaurants.

The story and photos don't give many details, but it looks as though this module plugs into the sync port of and iPAQ. It can measure carbon monoxide and some of the other particles that are given off by cigarette smoke. It also looks as though one of the main purposes of the device will be to fuel the debate over a proposed Ireland-wide ban on smoking in public places.

I just LOVE seeing stories about new uses for Pocket PCs. Of course, I'd also like to see someone develop a few similar tools that could measure other public nuisances like:

� The amount of noise given off by that screaming kid who always sits behind me on airplanes
� The intensity of the aftershave being worn by the loud, obnoxious person dining at the next table

Old 05-28-2003, 09:41 AM
AhuhX
Ponderer
Default Re: Pocket PCs Track Public Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
I'd also like to see someone develop a few similar tools that could measure other public nuisances like:

• The amount of noise given off by that screaming kid who always sits behind me on airplanes
• The intensity of the aftershave being worn by the loud, obnoxious person dining at the next table
And what about a system to detect the noise level of the jerks that always arrive at the cinema just as you've settled and talk and giggle loudly all the way through the movie despite frequent requests to shut up?

That way you could just show the cashier the reading when you are demanding your money back

Old 05-28-2003, 09:46 AM
parsi
Neophyte
Default Noise scanners

What about one to detect the embarassment felt by the parents of the screaming kid when the guy in front keeps looking back and thinking "why can't they shut that kid up" and the parent thinks" why can't I quieten him down , he's been like that since last night and I'm exhausted. Why can't people cut me some slack?"

Old 05-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Certified Optimist
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
� The amount of noise given off by that screaming kid who always sits behind me on airplanes
The secret to surviving any flight is... airplugs in and then the airplane headphone on top on full blast! :sleeping:

That way the parents can enjoy their kids (I kind of feel sorry for them... sometimes....) and I can enjoy my flight.

...if you forget your airplugs... remember the mantra "I am in a happy place, I am in a happy place..."

Old 05-28-2003, 12:40 PM
aroma
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhuhX
... despite frequent requests to shut up?
Does "Hey buddy, shut the %#@$ up before I come back there and stick my foot in your arse!" count as a "request"???

Old 05-28-2003, 01:30 PM
whitey
Pupil
Default Weather add-on

How about a SD or CF card with sensors for temperature, humidity,air pressure etc for Pocket PC, so you could have your own little weatherstation.

Old 05-28-2003, 05:30 PM
lurch
Thinker

Too bad they didn't make this system "seek-and-destroy"...

Old 05-28-2003, 05:59 PM
ipaq38vette
Intellectual

How about an anger detector for when some moron driver cuts you off without a directional while yapping on a cell phone?

Old 05-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaq38vette
How about an anger detector for when some moron driver cuts you off without a directional while yapping on a cell phone?
Naw, that wouldn't work for me, because I'd be too busy making a call on my Phone Edition to use the anger detector.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:22 PM
lurch
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaq38vette
We don't need a pocket pc solution for this (although that's never been a good reason NOT to make one) -- we can use the natural detector -- the number of millimeters the vein on the forehead is popping out.