Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Technology Can Be Too Convenient

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=28326&forum=35

It appears the new Sony Ericsson P800 has a small glitch in its design. Let us say that your voice activated command to answer the phone is "answer." Now let's assume you have a cute WAV file that shouts "Answer your phone" when it rings. Well, the mic pics up the "answer" in the ringtone and automatically answers the phone for you when it rings.

Now, imagine your P800 is on your night stand, it is late at night, and... that's all I am going to say in mixed company. ops: You'll have to read the rest of the thread to get the naked truth. :lol:

Old 05-23-2003, 11:13 PM
Busdriver
Intellectual

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Old 05-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

Of course this isn't really a flaw in the design. It's a very neat feature to have the "magic word" to answer a call. If someone sets a custom ringer with that word in it, then well, that aint so bright. I read this story earlier today and actually it got me to thinking about a sort of neat way that an owner of this phone could exploit this feature for the power of good. You could use it as sort of a nanny-cam. Leave the phone at home and take your spouse's phone with you. Have your P800's custom ringer speak the magic word for your spouse's phone number . Then you can call it from wherever you are and have it automatically answer. Of course, it would require that you leave your really cool smartphone at home. So you better buy an equally cool smartphone for your spouse.

Scott

Old 05-24-2003, 12:13 AM
Fzara
Thinker

I don't know why anyone would want a P800 anyway; I have to find a new phone to renew my T-Mobile service, and i'm locked in on the Nokia 3650.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:16 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzara
I don't know why anyone would want a P800 anyway; I have to find a new phone to renew my T-Mobile service, and i'm locked in on the Nokia 3650.
They're really different beasts. The 3650 competes with the Smartphone platform, while the P800 is more like Pocket PC Phones. Simplest difference: the P800 has a touchscreen, and the 3650 doesn't.

--janak

Old 05-24-2003, 01:28 AM
acetuk
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to acetuk

I have a P800 and have to say that I am really enjoying using it.

Keeping in mind that it is still a relatively new device there are a few almost-killer apps (nearly there but need a couple more updates to be where a lot of the user base want them to be) out, the device naked (with no additional software) it very usable and the phone works as expected.

Two problems exist at the moment - the price is high which leads to a limited user base. This is holding back a few of the major Symbian / PocketPC releasing a P800 version of their software. But the future looks good from where I am sitting.

I still use my Jornada however for reading ebooks!!

Old 05-24-2003, 04:15 AM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Man and I thought the random annoying phone calls I made from my phone dialing while in my pant's pocket were bad. Talk about the walk of shame :twisted:

Old 05-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegroodt
Man and I thought the random annoying phone calls I made from my phone dialing while in my pant's pocket were bad.
Something similar kept happening to me with my T68i. While at the last Microsoft MVP Summit, one evening I kept accidentally redialing my home phone number. So, the phone calls woke my wife up, who was three timezones away, and let her listen in to my conversations in which I was poking fun of her and complaining about married life.

Got a really warm reception on my return from THAT trip.

Old 05-24-2003, 04:33 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

:lol:

Lock those T68 keypads, guys! Menu + 1. Two keys that are burned into my memory forever.

--janak

Old 05-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

That story is REALLY funny.