Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage
Default Intel makes gains in handheld market

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-100...html?tag=fd_top

"During Intel's spring analyst meeting in New York on Thursday, the company's senior vice president of wireless communications and computing, Ronald Smith, said the chipmaker's efforts as a supplier for handheld makers have borne fruit. Citing data from research firm IDC, Smith said Santa Clara, Calif.-based Intel went from no presence in the chip market for handhelds to nearly 35 percent in just over two years. And that's not including a design win from handheld market leader Palm earlier this quarter for its Tungsten C device....

...Intel has been aggressive in preparing to further pursue smart-phone makers with its upcoming 'Internet on a chip' processor, code-named Manitoba, but formally called the Intel PXA800F. The cellular processor includes a 312MHz XScale processor, 4MB of flash memory and a 104MHz digital signal processor. It will be available to phone makers in the third quarter for $35 each in volume. The chip will be used in cell phones that run on Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) and General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) networks. Intel is also working on its next-generation XScale handheld processor, called Bulverde, according to sources. The new chip will largely be aimed at devices such as HP's iPaq, rather than at cell phones, and will likely be significantly faster than current handheld processors."

It looks like the handheld market has been good to Intel, and Intel is responding by developing faster, more powerful chips for Pocket PCs and other handheld devices. Exciting news - more speed is always a good thing!

Old 05-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Nellwaskilled
Ponderer

I want my Bulverde now! (say what new thing does it do anyway? :lol: )

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-984902.html?tag=nl

Old 05-16-2003, 05:06 PM
trachy
Thinker
Default Re: Intel makes gains in handheld market

Hey, isn't this your first editorial post? I particularly like how all the lines are correctly justified, and the font is all the same color. You're definitely on the right track! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
Intel has been aggressive in preparing to further pursue smart-phone makers with its upcoming 'Internet on a chip' processor, code-named Manitoba
Man, this wreaks of some wicked Canadian conspiracy! First PPCT originates in Calgary, and now this!

Seriously, you've got to love how Intel keeps forging ahead. It doesn't seem like too long ago handhelds were powered by those crappy Dragonball 33Mhz processors. Motorola, look out!

Old 05-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trachy
Hey, isn't this your first editorial post? I particularly like how all the lines are correctly justified, and the font is all the same color. You're definitely on the right track! :wink: :wink: :wink:
The old aphorism "damning by faint praise" comes to mind....

Nah, I know you're just teasing! :wink: :wink:

Old 05-16-2003, 07:33 PM
trachy
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
The old aphorism "damning by faint praise" comes to mind....

Nah, I know you're just teasing! :wink: :wink:
Got that right. Judging from posts here and on your blog, I know Thoughts readers will be rewarded with your presence. Congrats and best wishes.

Old 05-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker

Some of these processors appear to run so fast in the new Tungsten C that users claim the applications open faster than you can select them!

These are planned for use in the new elevators in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

eg: "Elevators
Elevators in this galaxy are unlike any others. You never have to wait
for them or tell them where you want to go. This is because they have
what is known as defocused temporal perception, which means they can
see dimly into the future to find out what you want. This has caused a
lot of elevators, since they're made by Sirius Cybenetics and have
Genuine People Personalities, to have a fear of their own future. They
have nervous breakdowns and sulk in basements as a result. Broke
hitchhikers can make money as counsleors for neurotic elevators." credit to some HHG site here: http://sweb.uky.edu/~elclin0/hgttg.htm

Really, Intel has mapped out plans to have 1gigahertz ARMs before the line is complete. That would run a lot of programs awfully fast.