Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell Faces Quebec Class-Action Suit After Computer Price-Change

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNew...8/82701-cp.html

"Dell Canada may face a class-action lawsuit in Quebec for adding hundreds of dollars to the listed price of a hand-held unit on its web site. The consumers' group Union des consommateurs said Thursday it has asked a Superior Court judge for permission to sue the computer giant. The group is demanding Dell stick to the price of $89 to $118 listed last month for Axim X5 pocket PC models. Dell posted a correction on its web site on April 7, saying the actual retail price for the units was $379 for a basic model and $549 for a faster unit."

Earth to Quebec consumers suing Dell: grow up. Online pricing mistakes happen all the time, and this one was so obvious I can't believe anyone thought it was legitimate. Dell made a nice gesture by offering $50 discount coupons to people that had ordered once at the incorrect price, so no matter what you're getting it cheaper than anyone else. It's not like Dell was doing a purposeful "bait and switch" where they advertised the price just to get the orders, then switched it afterwards. And we wonder why some US vendors don't come up to Canada. :roll:

Old 05-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

My thoughts exactly. most (all?) sites and paper ads say they are not responsible for errors and it is quite clear Dell doesn't engage in bait and switch tactics. :evil: Dell should suspend Axim sales in Quebec for one month as punishment to the goobers bringing this lawsuit.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:23 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default We're Not Alone!

It's good to see that we in the U.S. don't have a corner on the frivolous lawsuit market. :devilboy:

Besides, what's $100 Canadian anyway? Like 25 U.S. cents? :rofl:

I do like Ed's idea, though. Isn't it bad enough that Dell probably has to support both French and English in Quebec?

Steve

Old 05-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Ainvar
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Ainvar Send a message via AIM to Ainvar Send a message via MSN to Ainvar Send a message via Yahoo to Ainvar

Heh I hate those kind of people that think they are always owed something.
They were born so they are owed something.... blah blah blah.
Always trying to screw somebody over for something just cause you are too cheap or think you are owed something that you are not.
Grow up and look at how the world works and quit being dishonest, it will come back and bite you in the ass in the end (most of the times 3x3x3 times over).

We the un willing led by the unqualified for so long with so little we now attempt the impossible with nothing

Old 05-10-2003, 11:32 PM
butch
Intellectual

Hi!

Hey! Do you know that there is people in Quebec reading PocketPCThought??? The answer: YES! 8)
I'm one of those...
First, I'm not for those kind of lawsuit... It is only good for the lawers...
Second, here is Quebec the law says:
Quote:
(1) where the price of the good rung in at the check-out is higher than the price advertised, the
lower price shall be honoured and :
(a) the merchant shall give the good to the consumer free of charge, if the accurate price of
the good is $10 or less ; or
(b) the merchant shall correct the price and grant the consumer a discount of $10 on the
corrected price, if the accurate price of the good is higher than $10 ;
(2) where the same error occurs in respect of identical goods during the same transaction, the
merchant shall correct each of the errors but compensate the consumer in accordance with
subparagraph a for only one of those goods ;
(3) the accurate pricing policy shall apply even if the error is noticed before the transaction is
completed, on the condition however that the consumer buys the good ;
(4) the accurate pricing policy shall not apply in respect of a specific good if its application
contravenes an act or regulation.
So, street stores have to pay for there mistake here... But, I have absolutly no ideas on-line stores are subject to this law. If they are, maybe this lawsuit won't be only good for the lawers... I still doubt that however...

Old 05-10-2003, 11:43 PM
dshirley
Neophyte
Default Come on....

Ah, come on guys... A year ago, the US legal system punished all the major PC manufacturers to the tune of hundreds of millions of US dollars, for shipping floppy disk drives with a bug which would lose a couple of bytes of data every 512nd time you write to a floppy disk drive whilst decoding a heavy multimedia file... And you complain about a lawsuit which falls under the local laws which protect consumers from those sorts of suppliers which price products incorrectly just to get sales.

Sure, Dell certainly didn't do this on purpose, and this isn't really a legitimate use of the legal system, but don't bash a legal system which is different from the US one before you understand the environment!

DS

Old 05-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Gremmie
Philosopher

Remember, the initial admin who posted this story is from Canada.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:49 AM
thenikjones
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch
Hi!

Hey! Do you know that there is people in Quebec reading PocketPCThought??? The answer: YES! 8)
I'm one of those...
First, I'm not for those kind of lawsuit... It is only good for the lawers...
Second, here is Quebec the law says:
Quote:
(1) where the price of the good rung in at the check-out is higher than the price advertised, the
lower price shall be honoured and :
(a) the merchant shall give the good to the consumer free of charge, if the accurate price of
the good is $10 or less ; or
(b) the merchant shall correct the price and grant the consumer a discount of $10 on the
corrected price, if the accurate price of the good is higher than $10 ;
(2) where the same error occurs in respect of identical goods during the same transaction, the
merchant shall correct each of the errors but compensate the consumer in accordance with
subparagraph a for only one of those goods ;
(3) the accurate pricing policy shall apply even if the error is noticed before the transaction is
completed, on the condition however that the consumer buys the good ;
(4) the accurate pricing policy shall not apply in respect of a specific good if its application
contravenes an act or regulation.
So, street stores have to pay for there mistake here... But, I have absolutly no ideas on-line stores are subject to this law. If they are, maybe this lawsuit won't be only good for the lawers... I still doubt that however...
Well, (b) says they should get a $10 duscount, and Dell offered $50? What's the problem? Seems Dell are bending over backwards to compensate people.

Old 05-11-2003, 01:04 AM
rudolph
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenikjones
Well, (b) says they should get a $10 duscount, and Dell offered $50? What's the problem? Seems Dell are bending over backwards to compensate people.
Exactly... and they offered $150 off the X5 400mhz... quite generous if you ask me

Old 05-11-2003, 01:11 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Come on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshirley
Ah, come on guys... A year ago, the US legal system punished all the major PC manufacturers to the tune of hundreds of millions of US dollars, for shipping floppy disk drives with a bug which would lose a couple of bytes of data every 512nd time you write to a floppy disk drive whilst decoding a heavy multimedia file... And you complain about a lawsuit which falls under the local laws which protect consumers from those sorts of suppliers which price products incorrectly just to get sales.
Those manufacturers knew about the bug and continued to ship the drives for years because they didn't want to pay to redesign the controllers.