Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Electronic Paper Is "On A Roll"

http://www.msnbc.com/news/910466.asp?0na=x23016H05

I've been reading about the promise of electronic paper for some time now, and it looks like it's inching closer and closer to market.

"In a step toward electronic newspapers and wearable computer screens, scientists have created an ultra-thin screen that can be bent, twisted and even rolled up and still display crisp text. The material, only as thick as three human hairs, displays black text on a whitish-gray background with a resolution similar to that of a typical laptop computer screen. The screen is so flexible it can be rolled into a cylinder about a half-inch (1 centimeter) wide without losing its image quality."

(image copyright MSNBC)

The only problem is, it's "inching". I want it now, darn it! Tools like this could finally stop one from having to carry printouts, papers, or even magazines around. Current PDAs are a good first step (I'm a big fan of RepliGo and ebooks), but there's a long way to go.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Abba Zabba
Intellectual

definately this will be a next step to reducing the amount of paper we use (look at me i have a green thumb!). At my office we go through atleast 12 reems of LEGAL paper a day and 4 regular. Keep in mind this office is only for 6 people. :evil:

Old 05-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Electronic Paper Is "On A Roll"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I've been reading about the promise of electronic paper for some time now, and it looks like it's inching closer and closer to market.
We're getting closer and closer to my "PlastiComputer" -- a computer on a piece of plastic like an overhead transparency. It would typically have the top 2/3 be the screen and the bottom 1/3 be a virtual keyboard.

Of course, we still need color. :-)

Steve

Old 05-08-2003, 08:36 AM
Abba Zabba
Intellectual

What would be really interesting to see is if something like Minority report. I was watching 2 days ago on Techtv (no comment :wink: ) and someone is developing that idea now as we speak. Gees what's next... all I have to say is bring on the tech :twisted:

Old 05-08-2003, 01:08 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker
Default iLoo

Is this the paper MS will use in the iLoo?

Old 05-08-2003, 02:01 PM
alex22
Pupil
Default Very interesting

Hope I can get one of these once it is commercially available to read eBooks, no longer need to carry a brick-like PDA

Old 05-08-2003, 02:36 PM
nobody
Ponderer

Wow!

Old 05-08-2003, 04:01 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB
Default Re: iLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlobrecht
Is this the paper MS will use in the iLoo?
ewwwww

Old 05-08-2003, 04:48 PM
xoiph
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to xoiph

I'd think it would be a little too rough for the iLoo.

Old 05-08-2003, 05:12 PM
brent_anderson
Pupil

I have been following E-Ink's work on this for a while now.

My perfect e-Book will be the size of a paperback, have a nice leather outside, (must look just like a book), 24 hour battery life, 5 or more of these "thin" double sided pages so I can "turn" the pages when I read, (much more natural feeling to me), some type of hi density storage, (can you say 30 GB ipod!), a "pop-up" led light, (out of the spine?), for night reading, and the ability to play Audible files and music files.

You could have a LCD screen on the inside front cover with a touchpad for library/content/index/play management and battery/storage card access on the inside back cover.

Keep the outside nice and clean and smooth! (Maybe a headphone jack, sync jack, power jack, LED light, all "hidden" on the spine)

You would need some sort of large "button", (just one?), on the upper corners of the inside covers for "forward" and "backward" page turning commands maybe even incorporating a page bookmark feature here?. When you get to the end of the set of pages, you press the button on the inside back cover and the E-book draws the next 10 pages for you to read.

If I could carry around the hundreds of Audible books, the hundreds of E-books, the thousands of songs, AND replace, (buy purchasing E-book formats), my THOUSANDS of hardback and paperback books that I�ve collect during my lifetime, with this one device...

And had a way to save all the web content you find interesting, articles and information�

Combine them all together with a library management system...

Hook that up with a text search engine...

I would pay $500+ EASY for it!

My whole library with me at all times!

Just my $.02 worth �

Brent