Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 05-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Freeware Developer Interviews

http://www.compu2go.com/freewaredevinterviews.html

"No matter what flavor of PDA you carry, chances are you've got @ least one piece of freeware on it. With that in mind, C2Go is going to give the floor over to some of the developers of that freeware, interview-style."

Old 05-06-2003, 09:32 PM
WillyG
Intellectual

I find it interesting to see what the freware developers answer to their question that goes: "Given Microsoft's decision not to provide free development tools for CE.NET, will you pony up for a development kit or abandon the platform?"

Old 05-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Cardie
Pupil

I find it unusual that while MS is going to charge developers for CE.NET, Symbian have released their developer langugae as LGPL (http://opl-dev.sourceforge.net) ;-)

Old 05-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Robert Levy
Philosopher

That question is simply incorrect. Microsoft is charging for the brand new .NET CF tools. However, Embedded Visual Tools (for both CE3 and CE.NET) are free and will remain to be free.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:35 PM
jpmierau
Pupil
Default re: Robert Levy ('Incorrect')

"Microsoft is charging for the brand new .NET CF tools. However, Embedded Visual Tools (for both CE3 and CE.NET) are ...free."

Good point, Robert, which is why I didn't specify. If you read some of the developer's responses, you'll see they field the question very well from both Embedded and .NET perspectives, which is why I left the question so wide open.

Glad to see you did agree that the .NET tools are not similarly being made free (I can even understand why that may be, given .NET's overarching framework, but that doesn't make the question 'Incorrect').

Old 05-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Robert Levy
Philosopher
Default Re: re: Robert Levy ('Incorrect')

I understand that you wanted to leave it open ended, but the question said: "Given Microsoft's decision not to provide free development tools for CE.NET..."

They *do* provide a free development tool for CE.NET - so that would make the question incorrect