Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Socket WLAN Desktop Drivers... Finally!

http://www.socketcom.com/support/support_wlan.asp

If you're like me, you love the Socket CF card, but have been very unhappy about the inability to use it in your desktop PC. There were tricks to use the Symbol driver, but these were unsupported. Finally, though, Socket has posted a downloadable driver for their CF WLAN so that you can use it in Windows 2000 and XP systems!

Old 05-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Merlion
Ponderer

This is great news! Except that I don't really have any use for it now that my current notebook has built-in Wi-Fi & BT. I used to use Symbol's desktop drivers for my Socket WLAN CF card on my W2K notebook. Well actually, my old notebook is still being used as an extra computer at home, so I could still use it.

Thanks for the news!

Old 05-06-2003, 04:51 PM
nobody
Ponderer

I was also very unhappy when I found out that they charge for bluetooth cf card desktop driver! What a crook!

Old 05-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
I was also very unhappy when I found out that they charge for bluetooth cf card desktop driver! What a crook!
I think that situation was different than this one -- apparently they built the desktop driver afterwards, at significant cost. In this case, I believe they were promising a WLAN driver for a long time now.

--janak

Old 05-06-2003, 05:16 PM
whyPocketPC
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to whyPocketPC
Default No criminal action, just failed to read the print.....

Nobody,

I have to disagree with you on this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
....since they offer two products (one for CE only and one for CE and desktop/laptop) at different price points. If you only paid for the Windows CE version of ANY product, 'why' should you get the desktop/laptop drivers at no charge???? How could a company hope to stay in business following that approach?? :lol:

Regards,

whyPocketPC

Old 05-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Ramin
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Ramin
Default Re: No criminal action, just failed to read the print.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyPocketPC
....since they offer two products (one for CE only and one for CE and desktop/laptop) at different price points. If you only paid for the Windows CE version of ANY product, 'why' should you get the desktop/laptop drivers at no charge???? How could a company hope to stay in business following that approach?? :lol:
& I have to disagree with you on this whyPocketPC....

Socket's Bluetooth Connection Kit for WinCE costs significantly more (Online Price: $159.00) than other competing Bluetooth CF cards which offer better Bluetooth profile support on both Pocket PC & Windows platforms with the latest WIDCOMM Bluetooth software.
BTW- One way a company could stay in business is by delivering products which offer customers decent value for money, rather than making us feel like we've been ripped off or shortchanged. You can't deny the fact that many Socket customers are upset by all this.

Getting back on track, doesn't anyone realise how long it took for these Windows drivers to materialise? :evil:

Socket Low Power Wireless LAN CF Card
Windows 2000/XP drivers only available since May 2003
vs
Symbol Wireless Networker CF Card
Windows drivers available throughout 2002 (& updated April 2003)

PS- I'd also appreciate it if Socket's Product Managers could show a little more enthusiasm about their products @ the Socket Forum and take into account the feedback from their loyal customers. It would certainly help.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:07 PM
nobody
Ponderer

Quote:
Socket's Bluetooth Connection Kit for WinCE costs significantly more (Online Price: $159.00) than other competing Bluetooth CF cards which offer better Bluetooth profile support on both Pocket PC & Windows platforms with the latest WIDCOMM Bluetooth software.
BTW- One way a company could stay in business is by delivering products which offer customers decent value for money, rather than making us feel like we've been ripped off or shortchanged. You can't deny the fact that many Socket customers are upset by all this.
Couldn't say it better! I guess I am used to a piece of hardware supported on both platform. For symbol wireless card, which is as expensive as socket wlan card, the least they can do is include a driver for desktop!

Old 05-06-2003, 07:13 PM
nobody
Ponderer

Quote:
If you only paid for the Windows CE version of ANY product, 'why' should you get the desktop/laptop drivers at no charge????
Exactly!!! Compare this to WLAN desktop driver, why should WLAN desktop driver be free?

Old 05-06-2003, 07:55 PM
beq
Oracle

Hmm, strange, I thought the desktop driver for Socket WiFi CF card has been available since the beginning -- back when I bought the card a loong time ago they already had the CE-only and CE+desktop bundles :?:

I also agree I wished back then the extra driver didn't cost extra...

Old 05-06-2003, 07:55 PM
whyPocketPC
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to whyPocketPC
Default Re: No criminal action, just failed to read the print.....

Ramin,

I do understand all points made above, but since the posts made here are from "whyPocketPC" and NOT from a Socket employee....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramin
PS- I'd also appreciate it if Socket's Product Managers could show a little more enthusiasm about their products @ the Socket Forum and take into account the feedback from their loyal customers. It would certainly help.
....I am not able to really comment. I am sorry that you or other may feel let down (sorry for this thread Jason). Please be sure to send your frustrations and feedback to the right folks at Socket. As a private user spending my own money on technology, I accept responsibility for my purchasing habits and do not expect more from a vendor than is promised or advertised. Of course, I did serve 16 years in the US Army and I am used to things being made by the lowest bidder. :lol:

Remember that this post and all others are as whyPocketPC (aka - John Doub) the private mobility geek just as the rest of you and nothing else!!

Cheers.