Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-06-2003, 05:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Secure Digital Overtakes Memory Stick

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3530.html

Hmm, this news makes me very happy. Please, give me a broadly accepted standard anyday over those expensive Memory Sticks... unfortunately, I don't think Sony will ever give in. :cry:

"Despite numerous efforts by Sony, supremacy has slipped through the fingers for its Memory Stick format: now, the SD Memory Card format reigns supreme. According to analyst firm The NPD Group, SD Memory Cards captured approximately 23% of US retail sales in January and February combined, overtaking Memory Stick media and - in less than three years - positioning itself as the emerging de facto industry standard. The format saw a whopping growth of over 400 percent in 2002, and the SD Card Association controlling the format says early indications point to strong growth continuing in 2003."

Old 05-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Coordinator
Pupil

Yes, memory stick going down is nice, if only it wasn't SD which overtook it. SD contains copy restriction technology implanted by the media cartel (RIAA). This makes cards more expansive to produce, eats up some of the memory and insults the users by making us pay for restricting our own freedom. Go CompactFlash!

Old 05-06-2003, 06:46 AM
szamot
Sage

give me my 4 gig SD card at a reasonable price and I will shut up about RIAA otherwise dido on CF

Old 05-06-2003, 06:49 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Those Sony Memory Sticks are such a rip-off. Now Sony is coming out with a new Memory Stick that is of much higher capacity, but is incompatible with all their older Memory Stick devices. Go figure.

SD is cool. I need 1GB+ capacity with some more speed.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:51 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coordinator
This makes cards more expansive to produce, eats up some of the memory and insults the users by making us pay for restricting our own freedom. Go CompactFlash!
I'll agree with your first two points but regarding the third, I think the DRM on the SD Cards were supposed to be for music distributed on the SD Card itself. Since these DRM protected SD Cards haven't even taken off yet, I see no consumer-oriented problem coming for the future.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

1GB Memory Stick for $450 and available now? I call that one up for the Memory Stick.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Re: Secure Digital Overtakes Memory Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
"Despite numerous efforts by Sony, supremacy has slipped through the fingers for its Memory Stick format: now, the SD Memory Card format reigns supreme."
Are they claiming that SD (and MemoryStick) sell more units than Compact Flash?

Steve

P.S. Hollister, California -- Home of the SD Card Association. I've actually visited it. :-D

Old 05-06-2003, 09:48 AM
bjornkeizers
Sage

Hardly a surprise if you ask me. I'm a CF junkie. Allways have been, allways will be. It's a great format; high capacity, cheap, and works with allmost anything without problems.

I do own a single memory stick. a 64 mb stick for my Clie SL10. I paid twice for the same amount of space then if I bought a CF card.

Besides, the only products to use MS are Sony products. I can use SD in just about as much products as CF: Palm's, PPC's, digital cameras, MP3 Players.... The way sony treats their customers it's hardly surprising consumers give sony The Finger and move to a decent format.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:34 AM
beq
Oracle

A quick OT question -- will all those SD to CF adapters (where it's physically possible) also support SDIO or just memory? By physically possible I meant the SD card would have to be inserted vertically into the CF adapter (so not the Panasonic flush adapter).

Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 AM
marconelly
Ponderer

What that news is saying is basically that SD products from ALL other companies combined are selling a bit more than MStick products from Sony alone. Some victory :\

If sony decides to release Playstation 3 with memory stick instead of memory cards, you can say goodbye to whatever dominant format will be at the time - Stick will overtake it by the sheer need of buying one with the console.

Having said that, I wish Sony never introduced that stick. Why on Earth they needed that is beyond me.