Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Is That a Phone on Your Wrist?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/30530.html

"Samsung has said its GPRS wristphone will ship in Europe in time for Christmas. The device, announced earlier this year, is the world's smallest GPRS phone, claims Samsung. The phone operates in the 900MHz and 1800MHz bands, and provides Bluetooth connections for headsets and PDAs. It has a built in speakerphone, and dialling is voice activated. The screen is a 256-colour 96x63 OLED panel. The phone measures 3.8 x 6.4 x 1.8cm and weighs less than 80g."

Hmm. This would almost nullify the whole one device/two device scenario...if I wore a watch. :mrgreen: I love seeing innovation like this, even if it's a "geeks only" version right now, because these are the first steps towards integration on a much deeper level (think Star Trek communicators, and not the ones Kirk used).

Old 05-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage
Default Re: Is That a Phone on Your Wrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
"Hmm. This would almost nullify the whole one device/two device scenario
Actually, it'll start a whole new argument - those who want their watch and phone seperate and those who want a combined device. :roll:

Old 05-02-2003, 10:08 PM
malcolmsharp
Ponderer

What I want is a bluetooth phone that can beep out appointments, e-mail alerts, voice mail alerts and phone rings (sound, LED light and vib), so my PDA can, from a breif case or my deep pocket, still inform me of what's going on.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Is anyone else reminded of a Dick Tracy watch??? or am I just showing my age???

Old 05-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Don, it's not you.

We posted on this before, but the Bluetooth bit is new. Which is, franky, awesome. Unfortunately, they didn't see fit to cram 1900MHz into this unit, so it's not for me -- or any of us in North America. :cry:

--janak

Old 05-03-2003, 12:18 AM
dochall
Intellectual
Default Re: Is That a Phone on Your Wrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
scenario...if I wore a watch. :mrgreen:
What you're sugggesting I'm a geek just because I want one. ops:

Old 05-03-2003, 01:52 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I hate when companies don't include the North American GSM frequency. Don't companies know by now that the U.S. is geek central? Well, except for Japan maybe...

With Bluetooth, forget buying a Smartphone. Though a Smartphone has it's place too. As long as you have your watch on, you can surf the net with your PDA USING GPRS (it'll be better than 9.6kps at least). Use the Bluetooth for a wireless headset connection. This is such a sweet device!!!

Once a manufacturer comes out with a device like this, it's only a matter of time before half a dozen of other companies come out with competing products. Thus, a nicer selection.

Price. Hmmm. I think $300 would be a price I would pay for this device. Any more and I would have to consider going with a Smartphone instead.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
The 400mAh Li-ion battery provides one-and-a-half hours' talk time and 80 hours stand-by time. Pricing has yet to be announced.
That seems really low to me. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can easily use more than 1.5 hours of talk time in a day. Such a low talk time would mean recharging or swapping batteries just to make it through a day. 8O

Very cool gadget. It's nice to see a company looking at the big picture, and creating a device that can easily be the center of your connected world.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Battery Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocket
Quote:
The 400mAh Li-ion battery provides one-and-a-half hours' talk time and 80 hours stand-by time. Pricing has yet to be announced.
That seems really low to me. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can easily use more than 1.5 hours of talk time in a day. Such a low talk time would mean recharging or swapping batteries just to make it through a day.
I can use that much, too -- I've spoken on the phone for 9 hours in one sitting (well, I took a break and redialed a few minutes later). However, I rarely use my cell phone, so that would generally be enough for me.

Of course, what did you expect for battery life? The phone is in a WATCH:!: You can't exactly put a StarTac battery on that. :lol:

One problem I see is charging it. When I drive, I typically hook my phone to a charger/hands-free system in my car. That would be rather awkward with my watch. Also, I'd hate to have to take my watch off so I could charge the battery, and wearing two watches seems ridiculous. I guess this is one thing I'd really have to get two batteries for.

Steve

Old 05-03-2003, 10:49 AM
beq
Oracle

It looks very cool. But personally, if they can squeeze the cellular parts smaller and smaller, I'd probably prefer to just integrate it into your PPC and be done with it. So you just carry the PPC and the Bluespoon earset (2 pieces) instead of also needing the watch (a 3rd piece) just for the cellular pickup (the screen, speakerphone, voice recognition are redundant with your PPC)...