Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!


Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2003, 06:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Ed Hansberry's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,228
Default Something "Good" Coming For The Axim?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110421,00.asp

"Dell Computer and Good Technology are hinting of an important partnership they'll announce next week. The prospect of Dell's fast-growing Axim handhelds wed to Good Technology's wireless synchronization service could benefit both products, analysts say."

Good Technology competes with Research In Motion, the makers of the Blackberry, in wireless email and synchronization technology. Given the future of handhelds will focus on wireless technology, this could be very good news for Dell and its Axim line. You can find out more about the products Good Technology makes here.
__________________
text sig
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2003, 06:16 AM
kagayaki1
Thinker
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 361

Good Technology, that's a cleaver company name... :roll:

That was probably suggested as an alternative to a previous idea; maybe something like "Bad Technology" just didn't hold up.

Nice to see they're entering a "good" partnership, though.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Abba Zabba
Intellectual
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 245

Maybe we might get something like an ultra PPC. Let's say as Axim X9 :roll: , with:

1. 128 mb Ram
2. 64 mb Rom
3. Higher screen resolution
4. longer battery life
5. Wi-Fi
6. Bluetooth
7. SD and Cf slot
8. GSM and CDMA 1xRTT blah blah
.
.
.
1000. Can't think of anthing else, Can you :?:

What is going to be soooo "good' about it? free access to hotspots, or unlimited GSM or 1xRTT? Maybe this will just turn into a supercharged -way pager. :mrgreen:
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Foo Fighter's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,466
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I doubt this partnership will have anything to do with Pocket PCs. It seems more likely that Dell will market Good's own Blackberry clone under the Dell brand name and resell it. No impact on the PPC platform, but I would hate to be RIM right now. :byebye:
__________________
Kent Pribbernow
Elitist Snob, Contributing writer for Wired's Cult of Mac
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2003, 11:24 AM
bdegroodt
Pontificator
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
I doubt this partnership will have anything to do with Pocket PCs. It seems more likely that Dell will market Good's own Blackberry clone under the Dell brand name and resell it. No impact on the PPC platform, but I would hate to be RIM right now. :byebye:
Let's hope it does for the PPC's sake. I've been waiting for the previously announced Palm/Good device/software that will take care of wireless email and sync for the Palm. I'd suggest the PPC could really upstage Palm if they pulled it out first. Of course, the Goodlink software isn't exactly cheap and I'm sure if Dell were to incorporate Good into an Axim, the first complaint will come from Joe Consumer that doesn't want to pay the $1500 for client software.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Bajan Cherry
Ponderer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagayaki1
Good Technology, that's a cleaver company name... :roll:

That was probably suggested as an alternative to a previous idea; maybe something like "Bad Technology" just didn't hold up.

Nice to see they're entering a "good" partnership, though.
Register (http://www.register.co.uk) gave the hilarious name to RIM when it sued Good Technology for some patent violation: Law-suite in motion
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Cipr0
Pupil
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 22

I love my Good G100, I don’t know what I did before I had access to my corporate email with true push technology. I stay connected 24/7 and my customers love it!

We have about 60 sales folks and the Good/ G100 has had a greater impact on the way we do business than any other single piece of tech.

I also dig never ever having to synchronize….my calendar, contacts, notes and tasks are always up to date on my desktop and my handheld…..

That being said….I miss my old ipaq and the flexibility that having a real OS gave me...I miss it....but I would not go back to it.....


If Dell can create a PPC device with the goodlink app, I would buy it in a heartbeat…my question is what network will it use……time will tell…

Cipro
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-28-2003, 06:05 PM
jweitzman
Pupil
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 37
Default Good and PPC

Good's strategy is supposedly to not be in the hardware business, so I expect this would at least eventually be more than a repackaging of the G100. That said, I LOVE the G100. It is just the right size, and just a killer service.

The challenge for Good (and RIM) when integrating with Palm or PPC is going to be finding the ubiquitous and reliable coverage of the Mobitex network. One of the reasons the Good is great ( :wink: ) is that it works everywhere (even at 35,000 feet for some reason but don't tell the FAA). Mobile phone networks are not that universal yet.

The other key feature is constant synch. If you had to click "synch" or something and wait for it to do so, it would be far less useful. Having a spare minute and doing a quick check of e-mail while on the road is key.

Jeff
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2003, 08:46 PM
GadgetDave
Intellectual
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 126
Default Re: Good and PPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweitzman
The challenge for Good (and RIM) when integrating with Palm or PPC is going to be finding the ubiquitous and reliable coverage of the Mobitex network. One of the reasons the Good is great ( :wink: ) is that it works everywhere (even at 35,000 feet for some reason but don't tell the FAA). Mobile phone networks are not that universal yet.
As I (and others) have echoed here before, I agree with this. As much as I love my PPC, I still carry a Blackberry around because you can't beat the push/no synch get email.

That being said, I have one beef with jweitzman - the Mobitex has great coverage in metro areas - but I love my GPRS Blackberry even more, becuase I can get coverage up in the mountains west of Denver - the Mobitex coverage ended as soon as you started up the hills. So from that perspective, the GPRS blackberries have an advantage to many people who aren't stuck in a Metropolitan area.

I still want the BB radio/software in my Toshiba, though (maybe a CF card?) ... 8)
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2003, 08:51 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,185
Default Re: Good and PPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetDave
That being said, I have one beef with jweitzman - the Mobitex has great coverage in metro areas - but I love my GPRS Blackberry even more, becuase I can get coverage up in the mountains west of Denver - the Mobitex coverage ended as soon as you started up the hills. So from that perspective, the GPRS blackberries have an advantage to many people who aren't stuck in a Metropolitan area.
Hmmm...this may be a case of "your mileage may vary" as the Mobitex footprint is much greater than that of US GPRS (Think pager coverage vs. cell phone coverage.). GPRS is catching up, but the Mobitex signal is still more ubiquitous. Again, your mileage in your area may vary
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:40 PM.