Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Atomic Cannon Game Released

http://www.isotope244.com/atomic_ca...non_pocket.html

"The United Nations banned all atomic and nuclear devices and ordered their destruction. After global chaos erupted in a heated debate centered on a rogue dictator, world powers were battling in small inhospitable environments where only machines could go. As the start of the new world order unfolded, powers needed the most destructive machines they could find to use in battle. Thus began the resurrection of the Atomic Cannons..."

� Wide variety of weapons
� Realistic landscapes
� Small file size
� Ultra crisp sound effects
� Battle against the computer or friends using multiplayer mode

The "standard" version, which costs $12.95, includes 25 weapons and 12 landscapes. The "elite" version costs $19.95 and includes 50 weapons, 25 landscapes and 5 weather effects.

I'm not sure how I feel about having to pay more for the "full" version of a game, but you've just got to love a developer who has this label at the bottom of the Web page:

"INGREDIENTS: FUN SULFATE, DIMETHICONE PIXELS, BOOLIES, FLOATS, DUAL PARENS, LOVE-9, CITRUS EXCITEMENT, SOUND ESTERS..."

Old 04-26-2003, 11:10 AM
grohl
Pupil

This looks exactly like Pocket Tanks, which is fun for about 20 minutes.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:42 PM
MarcTGFG
Ponderer
Default I dont want to be a spoiler...

but I consider games like this one as tasteless. Obviously it belittles the consequences of using weapons of mass destruction and loss of life resulting from it. In a time, where it is very much possible that such weapons will be used, probably in North America, playing such games is just ... unbelievable.

I already saw this unthoughtful techie enthusiasm when it was reported that a scandinavian member of parliamant played games on his iPAQ during the debate whether to support a war against Iraq. Everybody was fascinated about this obvious penetration of handheld technology in politics, almost nobody questioned the morality of not paying attention to the debate which could result in the life or death of many thousand people. I found this disgusting!!!!!! Would it have been a german MP, he would have had to resign the next day under the pressure of his party and the public. I am glad to live in Germany.

Old 04-26-2003, 01:33 PM
juni
Sage

Well, I enjoy counterstrike, operation flashpoint and return to castle wolfenstein. They are games and not meant to be a true rendition of reality. They are fun and pressure-releasers. They don't make me want to go kill people in real life.

Old 04-26-2003, 02:02 PM
yvilla
Theorist

Anyone remember the original game in basic that was monkeys throwing bananas? I loved that game, and it was great for playing with kids--truly educational given the need to decide velocity, angle, etc.

I have since tried a variety of canon games based on that idea, similar to this one, but nothing seems to beat those monkeys! I may try this though, at least to see how it compares. :lol:

Old 04-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Reinaldo
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvilla
but nothing seems to beat those monkeys! :lol:
The many times I have heard that! It looks like Worms and that is the best game in the world. So I will try it out as well.

To MarcTGFG: I don't think you'll be seeing an increase of individuals who use Nuclear Bombs because of this game. Just my opinion. I do sort of agree with you on the guy who was playing Metallion on his iPAQ the day of the Iraq Debate but I don't think games are the ones who make people go nuts and use weapons. That's my opinion because I have played thousands of games involving guns and I still squirm on the inside when I see a real one. ops: :lol:

Old 04-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Anyone remember the original game in basic that was monkeys throwing bananas? :lol:
Yes, actually I do. I actually thought about it when seeing this game too. It was a QBasic demo, back around DOS 3 something. It was fun.

Old 04-26-2003, 05:50 PM
bbell98
Pupil
Default Scorched Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
Quote:
Anyone remember the original game in basic that was monkeys throwing bananas? :lol:
Yes, actually I do. I actually thought about it when seeing this game too. It was a QBasic demo, back around DOS 3 something. It was fun.
I guess I haven't been around that long.. but I do remember playing Scorched Earth on DOS 6.0 - same idea as this game in that you get different weapons, weather, and have to choose velocity and angles..

I'm not a violent person but for some reason I do enjoy a bit of destruction in my video games (and occasionally in real life). But, Daddy always taught me to separate reality from these things.. Now that I'm a big boy, I think I can handle the tank game on my PPC, even if it does have a cheesy sub-plot w/ Weapons of Mass Destruction..!

-Bob

Old 04-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Ainvar
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Ainvar Send a message via AIM to Ainvar Send a message via MSN to Ainvar Send a message via Yahoo to Ainvar

I have played games with death and destruction all through out my life and you dont see me going out wanting to kill someone or trying to use a nuke in real life. Sheesh it is only a game and if and if you don't have any common sense to see it is just a game and not real life then something is really wrong with you. I live in America and I am proud to live here and if someone wants to make a game with nukes in it, I dont see a problem with it. All it takes in this world to survuve and know right from wrong is common sense and values that your parents or guardians instill in you.

My $0.02

We the un willing led by the unqualified for so long with so little we now attempt the impossible with nothing

Old 04-26-2003, 08:22 PM
CharlesWilcox
Ponderer

I wonder how the Dixie Chicks feel about this game?? ops: ops: 8O