Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-25-2003, 09:17 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default PocketMusic 1.5 Released -- With Optional WMA Support

http://www.pocketmind.com/news.htm

I've heard endless requests on the forums for a WMA playback solution on the Pocket PC other than Windows Media Player, but there hasn't been any answer - until now. PocketMind's PocketMusic Feature Pack now supports WMA files. Very cool!

Old 04-25-2003, 09:28 PM
danmanmayer
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to danmanmayer
Default finally

Well it looks like i will finally get to try out new music software. I can't stand how WMP doesn't have a back option while listening to music with shuffle on. How hard is it to store a single number that lets you go back... ahhhh. I still have to say i have been using WMA over MP3 just becuase i can fit so much more music on. So this sounds like a great solution anyone tried the software out yet?

Old 04-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Clint Checketts
Neophyte
Default Its nice being listened to...

Great job PocketMinds for listening. I recall when you posted, asking for feedback in improving PocketMusic a while back. You took the responses very well and have improved it admirably. Keep up the good work.

Old 04-25-2003, 09:50 PM
MonolithicDawgX
Pupil
Default Arrrggghhh!!

Just loaded it and then tried to run it and it locks me up. I hate it when you have to go troubleshoot in this day and age!!! :evil:

Old 04-25-2003, 09:53 PM
carphead
Thinker

I brought this software a few weeks ago via IPAQChoice. It's really cool and means that I now don't have to carry a dedicated hardware MP3 player.

Love it!

Old 04-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Honestly, the only reason why I use WMP and WMA's is really one reason and one reason alone:

WMP is supplied in ROM and its native format is WMA.

I've noticed that WMP has trouble decoding some MP3's, and I'm not entirely sure why. Given that, I've taken to converting everything to WMA and using WMP.

<RANT>While WMP is nice and all, I'd really like to see some sort of equalizer support and a better speaker for the 5400. The speaker that's included with it SUCKS! I was so disappointed in it. The speakers on the 38/3900's rocked comparatively. </RANT>

<Slightly Off Topic>It would also be nice to have support for visualizations in WMP, too. It seems frivilous, I know; but the screen just sits there and stares at you... I'd like to see visualizations when AC power is connected. at least that way things can be slightly entertaining while my iPAQ's sit in my RoadWriter... </Slightly Off Topic>

Its doubtful that I will install or use this because I don't want to give up RAM in my 5455 for an application that I already have a solution for...

Christopher Spera

Old 04-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Spera
Its doubtful that I will install or use this because I don't want to give up RAM in my 5455 for an application that I already have a solution for...
But it's not a solution, is it, if it's missing all the features you want? Most of these music players aren't that big, and a number of them are completely free.

--janak

Old 04-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Chris Spera
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Chris Spera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
But it's not a solution, is it, if it's missing all the features you want? Most of these music players aren't that big, and a number of them are completely free. --janak
Since WMP plays some mp3's, and I can use Blaze Media Pro to convert to WMA's, this isn't a problem.

Because PPC Techs haven't finalized a solution for a 5400 RAM upgrade yet, I don't want to install ANYTHING to RAM unless I have to, no matter how small the app is; and I really don't want to install any sort of music player to a storage card. I think it would want to really live in RAM.

So while you're right, I've got a work around that doesn't bother me too much.

Old 04-26-2003, 12:08 AM
spursdude
Oracle

Third-party WMA support is definitely a great step for the PPC. Too bad it's not free... does Microsoft charge some sort of licensing fee for WMA support?

Old 04-26-2003, 02:08 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursdude
Third-party WMA support is definitely a great step for the PPC. Too bad it's not free... does Microsoft charge some sort of licensing fee for WMA support?
I'm pretty sure Microsoft's decoder and/or WMA format isn't free -- just like the MP3 format isn't. That's part of the reason Ogg was created, and it's also possible that's why it's never made it into PocketMVP, WinamPAQ, or GSPlayer.

--janak