Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default BizBeam - Beaming Made Easy

http://www.handango.com/PlatformPro...productId=67430

"Ever wanted to beam your business card to someone, but didn't because it was too cumbersome? Think about all the steps needed to beam a contact from your Pocket PC:

Tap Start > Contacts, then scroll up and down your list of dozens of contacts until you find the one you wish to beam. Tap and hold it, then aim correctly at the target device, select the right item from the popup menu and so on. Now imagine you wanted to beam another contact card, maybe someone from your marketing or business development team. Once again, you're fumbling, squinting, scrolling, and tapping to find that one card. How tedious! You would much rather just hand over a traditional paper business card, thus defeating one of the great purposes of having an expensive digital device like a Pocket PC.

Until now that is! Introducing BizBeam, the fastest and easiest way to beam pre-selected business cards without any fumbling or tapping around. Beam contacts right from your Today screen. You don't even need to pull out the stylus - just use your thumb to quickly beam a primary and secondary business card any time you want.

BizBeam also allows you to pre-select a document or file you may wish to beam - a photo, a map, a spreadsheet, directions, memos, sound recordings, an mp3 - whatever! Keep it handy, and when you find someone who needs it, one tap and it's beamed! BizBeam is that tiny essential utility you don't want to be stuck without - at your next convention, meeting, beam-fest, social gathering, around the office or in public!"

Old 04-25-2003, 03:10 PM
ianbjor
Pupil

Isn't there a way to do this on PocketPC without requiring additional software? On palm you could hold down the addressbook button for some period of time and it would auto-beam your business card.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbjor
Isn't there a way to do this on PocketPC without requiring additional software? On palm you could hold down the addressbook button for some period of time and it would auto-beam your business card.
The first paragraph I quoted above describes the process - there's no hardware button to do this on the Pocket PC, you have to follow the steps outlined above. Probably fine for most people, but if you attend a lot of meetings where you need to beam things, this is a very simple, but very powerful tool. I love niche solutions like this...the developer told me he actually ran out of business cards one day and this program was born as a result. A need breeds creativity - I love it!

Old 04-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

If they reduced the size of the icons on the today screen plugin, I'd like this more. For all the stuff I want on my front page I need a 1440 x 240 screen (that would probably fit in one of my old slide rule holsters ).

I wonder about the utility of a set document to send. A link to a file dialog with one click beaming might be more useful.

Old 04-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Fitch Send a message via AIM to Fitch

I'm sad that people have stopped advertising that their product only supports PPC2002. What about those 3 of us whose connection port is broken and can't ever upgrade? :cry:

Old 04-25-2003, 05:04 PM
mscdex
Sage

Since when did Seth Green have a PocketPC (or even a business card)? :lol:

Old 04-25-2003, 05:07 PM
mel
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch
I'm sad that people have stopped advertising that their product only supports PPC2002. What about those 3 of us whose connection port is broken and can't ever upgrade? :cry:
Hi Fitch - BizBeam supports all Pocket PCs, not just those with the 2002 OS. Specifically it was tested on a Jornada 548 and iPAQ 3600. Did you have any trouble running it on a device?

Old 04-25-2003, 05:49 PM
MooseMaster
Ponderer

A program like Software Action Control would be much easier. Just set a hardware button to the application and if you held the button down longer then 500ms then it would send your business card, less than it would open address book.

Old 04-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMaster
A program like Software Action Control would be much easier. Just set a hardware button to the application and if you held the button down longer then 500ms then it would send your business card, less than it would open address book.
Maybe, but without a UI, how would you do more than one option? I like the ability to beam a document, app, etc. I can see using this to beam small CAB files. :mrgreen:

Old 04-25-2003, 08:19 PM
lurch
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMaster
Or if you've already got one app that uses that functionality, they would conflict (for instance, right now I can adjust volume and display settings by holding down my buttons)
I'd rather have the today screen app, but with smaller buttons..