Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 04-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator
Default Visual Studio .NET 2003 Released, Register and Get a Free Pocket PC

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/topten/upgrade.aspx

Visual Studio .NET 2003 is finally here and thereby making .NET Compact Framework development tools available at retail. Microsoft offers Visual Studio .NET 2002 Professional, Enterprise Developer, and Enterprise Architect customers a corresponding upgrade to a Visual Studio .NET 2003 product for $29 US. This offer is open until September 30, 2003.

Microsoft also gives away free ViewSonic V37 Pocket PCs to everyone (in North America) registering an "eligible Microsoft� Visual Studio� .NET 2003 product or active MSDN� Subscription. This offer is good until June 30, 2003, or while limited supplies last."

Old 04-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

Is this saying what I think it's saying?...

Quote:
Please note, the following products are not eligible for this offer:
- Visual Studio .NET 2003 product purchased as a competitive upgrade
- Visual Studio .NET 2003 acquired as a Direct Upgrade for full packaged product customers or a free license grant for eligible volume customers of Visual Studio .NET 2002
Why couldn't this have been answered clearly before? It wasn't like several of us didn't speculate about this earlier (not to mention the fact that there's a barrel-full of MVPs here and MS reps patrol here).

Scott

Old 04-24-2003, 01:21 PM
rhmorrison
Philosopher
Default Re: Visual Studio .NET 2003 Released, Register and Get a Free Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Microsoft also gives away free ViewSonic V37 Pocket PCs to everyone (in North America)
Why do they always discriminate against those of us who live in Europe?

Old 04-24-2003, 01:25 PM
John Cody
Theorist

Just placed my $29 upgrade order - but the checkout (CC info) page was not secure (was not https).

Old 04-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R

Quote:
- Visual Studio .NET 2003 acquired as a Direct Upgrade for full packaged product customers or a free license grant for eligible volume customers of Visual Studio .NET 2002
Why couldn't this have been answered clearly before? It wasn't like several of us didn't speculate about this earlier (not to mention the fact that there's a barrel-full of MVPs here and MS reps patrol here).

Scott
I'm pretty sure that all of what I've read previously about the free Pocket PC offer has been for the full product only. That having been said you can upgrade VS 2002 for $29 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ho...3/default.aspx)- so the money you save compared to buying a regular version upgrade can be put towards a Pocket PC if you so wish.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Peter Foot
Thinker
Default Re: Visual Studio .NET 2003 Released, Register and Get a Free Pocket PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhmorrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sjostrom
Microsoft also gives away free ViewSonic V37 Pocket PCs to everyone (in North America)
Why do they always discriminate against those of us who live in Europe?
Its a shame that a lot of these offers are north america only. I can understand that some offers may not be practical to offer world-wide where language, power requirements or technologies differ but it would be nice to see other subsidiaries doing their own special offers...

Old 04-24-2003, 02:09 PM
rlobrecht
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cody
Just placed my $29 upgrade order - but the checkout (CC info) page was not secure (was not https).
I placed my order as well, and the site was secure (using IE 6 on XP.)

Old 04-24-2003, 02:37 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlobrecht
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cody
I placed my order as well, and the site was secure (using IE 6 on XP.)
I started to place my order, noticed that it wasn't secure, and went to change the URL manually. Needless to say, it screwed up my order. However, when I worked my way back in, the page was then secure.

So I think the difference was just time. Looks like they just forgot to set it up.

Old 04-24-2003, 02:41 PM
John Cody
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRocket
I started to place my order, noticed that it wasn't secure, and went to change the URL manually. Needless to say, it screwed up my order. However, when I worked my way back in, the page was then secure.

So I think the difference was just time. Looks like they just forgot to set it up.
I just got two email order confirmations because the first "Submit" timed-out, so I did a BACK and SUBMIT again - so off I go to cancel one of them... But the 877 number has been giving me a fast busy for over an hour, just not having any luck today

Old 04-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R

Quote:

Scott
That quote is taken from the front page, and according to that, we are not eligable. However, if you click the proof of purchase link, Then select VS.Net 2003, and Retail location. You are asked to select a license type. The options here being: "Full Version", and "Upgrade from Visual Studio 6.0 or Later"

So what's "later". I would say that Later means VS.NET 2002. What else is there??