Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 04-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Palm Releases Two New Handhelds

For the first time in years (in my opinion, since the release of the Palm V), Palm has released a pair of devices that are solidly competitive. The Zire 71 is a consumer handheld that has a built-in camera, and the Tungsten C has a thumbboard and built-in Wi-Fi. Just like all of us, I have several thoughts about these devices:
  • This, to me, shows that Palm finally realizes that consumers really do want advanced functionality in their handheld devices -- like what Pocket PCs have been offering all along. The Tungsten T was a start, but it was billed as a high-end unit. The fact that Palm branded an ARM-enabled, 320x320, integrated camera Palm OS 5.2 unit as a Zire, though, and that they made a unit that has built-in 802.11b support for the first time is evidence of this.
  • At the same time, the notion of Palms being "svelte" and the Pocket PCs being "bricks" is rapidly fading -- first, the NX and NZ devices showed that there is popular support for larger PDAs, and the fact that both of these new Palms are about the same thickness as your typical iPAQ or Axim shows that this isn't really a valid comparison anymore. When the m515 is phased out, the 1910 will stand pretty much alone on the "tiny" side of things, with a few Clies close behind.
  • RAM and CPU matters -- and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the T|C has 64MB of RAM and a 400MHz PXA255 XScale built-in.
  • Somewhat surprising is their total lack of Bluetooth support. I've moaned about this from Pocket PC vendors, and I'll moan about it from Palm vendors: it's not expensive to integrate and the possibilities would have been endless. Could you have imagined a Zire 71 where you could take pictures and exchange them with your friends? Or a Tungsten C that can attach wirelessly to your T68? As usual, like most handheld manufacturers, they always seem to leave something out. (And as for the Palm SDIO Bluetooth card -- from what I've heard, it's not compatible with OS 5 yet.)
  • I'm not a huge fan of their decision to architect these as two separate devices. For example, the Tungsten C, which is clearly aimed at the Corporate market, doesn't have stereo audio (even if you use headphones). What on earth were they thinking? What I really want is a cross between the upcoming Toshiba Genio with integrated camera and the 5450: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and a camera all-in-one (or at least the Genio with a Symbol Wi-Fi card stuck in it... )
  • Where is the Pocket PC with an integrated thumbboard? The online possibilities of a T|C with its integrated WiFi, thumbboard, and vibration are endless. It could be a compelling IM and email solution -- walk into a Starbucks, and pull this thing out of your pocket. The only Pocket PC solution that comes close right now is the Jornada 568 keyboard, and that still makes it nearly unpocketable.
  • The T|C has Documents To Go integrated into ROM, giving rise to a whole new set of debates as to which PDA has the best Office functionality built-in.
Overall, I think this is a very positive move by Palm to beef up the functionality of their units, and validates the device strategy held by Pocket PC vendors all along (and, more recently, Sony). Now, however, is the time for Pocket PC vendors to respond -- the hardware gap is nearly eliminated, and I won't go into the PalmOS vs. Pocket PC debate, since we've already addressed that -- but it's time to see new directions, like the HP prototype with the integrated keyboard or the aforementioned Genio with flash camera. I think the competition is about to heat up, which is a great thing for customers. 8)

[Note: Seeing as how we'll probably break into a debate, you're welcome to criticize either platform, but please be courteous and respectful and debate opinions, not people. Any personal criticisms or unwarranted language will not be tolerated!]

Old 04-23-2003, 06:06 PM
ExtremeSIMS
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to ExtremeSIMS Send a message via AIM to ExtremeSIMS

As noted in other forums/threads, I tried the Tungsten C. WiFi was nice, keyboard rocked, PXA255 was fast. However, I am taking it back. I've mentioned the reasons elsewhere, so I am not going to retype them.

Like Janek, I would like Microsoft push:

1) PPC with keyboard. It makes a huge difference when you are trying to enter a lot of data or type out emails.
2) Sync with Mac. Yes, one of my pet peeves. Why does Entourage, a Microsoft product, sync with Palm and not Pocket PC?
3) Improve Pocket Office. D2G is a great solution, and Pocket Office has some catching up to do, IMO.
4) Up the resolution. The screen - even at 320x320 - on the Tungsten was crisp and clear. While the form factor of my Toshiba's screen offers more readable space with web sites and whatnot, I would like higher rez.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Nellwaskilled
Ponderer

Z71 is bigger than h1910 and h2200. I thought it was amazing that a dual slots h2200 is actually smaller than a Zire

Old 04-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I have the Zire 71. Incredible little handheld, but it's not without a few shortcomings. Its digital audio capabilities are a joke. The volume is far too weak to be used as a serious handheld MP3 player. That aside, Z71 is near perfection in terms of design. Small, sleek, fun, fast...COOL! I don't want to have tomatoes thrown at me for saying this, but....WHY CAN'T THE POCKET PC CAMP COME UP WITH SOMETHING LIKE THIS??????? :splat:

Old 04-23-2003, 06:23 PM
medic119
Ponderer

Looks like PalmOS is coming up with some really sharp and up to date products like the Kyocera 7135 phone as well as the Tungstens, etc. The hardware is as good if not better (320x320 come on) in some areas, but its still failing in one MAJOR area, the PIM.

The PIM is still the same old Calendar, Contacts, Todo, etc as was in my first Palm 1000 almost 7 years ago! People don't buy PDAs for Camera, Pictures, Screens, Office Documents, etc. Although those are all icing on the cake as sway people one way or the other, the core of a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) is the PIM and Palm is still falling far short of anything the PocktPC offers. The palm can't even handle multiple categories per contact!

So while the race is starting to heat up once again, As long as the PocketPC Pim is better than the Palms (and with PI 4 it rocks) I will stick with PocketPC.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:28 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

I looked at this thing first thing this morning and thought for sure I was no longer going to be using the PPC as my device...then the no BT thing surfaced and as I've mentioned before "No BT. No Sale!"

Palm- Good job on bringing a real competitor to the market at a good price point, but...No BT. No sale!

Old 04-23-2003, 06:33 PM
malcolmsharp
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
I have the Zire 71. Incredible little handheld, but it's not without a few shortcomings. Its digital audio capabilities are a joke. The volume is far too weak to be used as a serious handheld MP3 player. That aside, Z71 is near perfection in terms of design. Small, sleek, fun, fast...COOL! I don't want to have tomatoes thrown at me for saying this, but....WHY CAN'T THE POCKET PC CAMP COME UP WITH SOMETHING LIKE THIS??????? :splat:
No thrown farm products from here, anyway. I'm a PPC guy from way back, and I still think it's the best platform for a number of reasons... but that doesn't mean I don't think that PPC makers should pick up a few lessons from Palm makers.

I'd love some of the things Palm has... built in keyboard, built in camera, hi res (in fact, I think MS should be really bothered that now Palm beats them in screen res), and such.

Not so much that I'd put up with a Palm, though.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:40 PM
bdeli
Thinker

I beleive that Palm are moving in the right direction. They are listening to what consumers want though the omission of BT and a stereo output for their Tungsten C sucks. Thumbs up for the integrated keyboard on the Tungsten C and the integration of the digicam in the Zire. And the price will certainly hurt PocketPC sales.

I bought a Tungsten T 3 weeks ago - first Palm I ever owned, and so far I love it. Battery life and form factor are great. I meant to get an iPAQ 1910, but $$ wise it was not worth it.

When is Microsoft going to learn that we need to get an updated OS. The UI needs a facelift and Activesync....well - that is another whole story!

Old 04-23-2003, 06:41 PM
thenikjones
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic119
The PIM is still the same old Calendar, Contacts, Todo, etc as was in my first Palm 1000 almost 7 years ago! People don't buy PDAs for Camera, Pictures, Screens, Office Documents, etc. Although those are all icing on the cake as sway people one way or the other, the core of a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) is the PIM and Palm is still falling far short of anything the PocktPC offers. The palm can't even handle multiple categories per contact!
To be fair, the PPC PIM is also poor. Both platforms need 3rd party apps and I'd suggest that Agendus and (certainly) DateBook 5 are at least as good, if not better, than PI or Agenda Fusion.

That said, the reason I wouldn't go back to Palm is because I couldn't stand not being able to asign work AND home addresses to Contacts. That really does suck, and is a major reason I stick with my Jornada. If you can do this on a Palm, and sych to Outlook, I'd be interested to know.

A built-in keyboard would be nice but I'd want it to follow the Zaurus sliding route. I have the thumb-board for my 568 and when I don't have it attached, I miss it. When I attach it, I am annoyed by its bulk! A PPC with sliding keyboard would be the ideal for me.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeli
When is Microsoft going to learn that we need to get an updated OS. The UI needs a facelift and Activesync....well - that is another whole story!
Definitely. The sooner the better. ActiveSync is the biggest problem facing the platform. This morning when I docked my Axim, ActiveStink misidentified it as a "Guest" connection. Will wonders ever cease? :roll: