Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-06-2003, 05:33 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default You DID Adjust Your Clock, Right?

This is just a friendly reminder to set all of your clocks forward on Sunday morning!

Unless you happen to live in weird places like Indiana, you'll be late for all of your appointments unless you adjust your clocks for Daylight Savings Time. You also might be late for appointments if you take the time to read all the strange facts about this event at this Daylight Savings Time Web Site. Having grown up in Indiana, I especially enjoyed the detailed analysis of just why we Hoosiers have such trouble figuring DST out...

Old 04-06-2003, 05:47 AM
lurch
Thinker

Whoo hoo!! Indiana rules! :rock on dude!:

I love not having to worry about changing my clock (because otherwise I would forget every year ops: )

Old 04-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Steven Cedrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
I love not having to worry about changing my clock (because otherwise I would forget every year ops: )
Twice a year. It's easy to tell you don't have to do it... :wink:

Steve

Old 04-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Between the automatic DST switching in PPC and PC and the fact that I synch with a local internet time server every morning in CityTime (the iPAQ clock being pathetic to the tune of almost 2 minutes slow every day), I don't need any reminders. I am a bit surprised that anyone else here might either, as we all have Pocket PCs, right? They adjust, perfectly, twice every year. Once back and hour, once forward. So, um, what gives?

Old 04-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Steven Cedrone

The PC's and Pocket PC's do it automagically, but you still have to do the VCR's, non-atomic alarm clocks/watches, microwave ovens, etc...

Hopefully, they will all sync to time servers soon enough though... :wink:

Steve

Old 04-06-2003, 06:49 AM
NeilE
Ponderer

Of course, Indiana isn't the only place that doesn't switch. If Jason were in town he'd likely point out that Saskatchewan doesn't change either

Neil

Old 04-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Ah, I see. I forget that people festoon their environs with such devices. I'm a 12:00 flasher guy these days with the VCR, and otherwise use only one analogue clock. The oven clock is unreliable, so I never bother looking at it. So when the old DST shifts happen I just see the little message on the PPC and go over to the kitchen wall and bump the big round clock an hour. Stopped wearing a watch when I bought the E-115, almost three years ago now.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

There's a few places in BC that don't switch either, but I always forget which ones. COuld make the life of a travelling salesman a living hell. I wish the whole nonsense never got started. It's all a scam, and whoever is making a bundle off it is gonna get a punch in the nose one of these days... if anyone can figure out what timezone he lives in.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
The PC's and Pocket PC's do it automagically, but you still have to do the VCR's [...]
Not if you have a decently modern VCR. My recorders can change time automatically through the time information coming along with teletext.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:46 AM
TheWolfen
Ponderer

Wait a minute - we're not the weirdos! It's all the rest of you that are crazy enough to change your clocks. We here in Arizona (and Indiana) have got it right! :mrgreen: